https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/80437-advise_on_translation_and_interpretation_rate_in_uk.html

Advise on translation and interpretation rate in UK
Thread poster: Jay Kim
Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 07:08
English to Korean
+ ...
Aug 4, 2007

Hi,

I am going to fill out contract forms for a UK agency and need help from linguist in UK or ones located out of UK with experience in dealing with agencies in UK. My lanuage pairs are ENG KOR. I need to know

- Translation rate per 1,000 words and minimum charge

For ENG > KOR, KOR > ENG

How do you think of 60-65 GBP/1,000 words?

- Proofreading rate per hour

For ENG > KOR, KOR . ENG

-
... See more
Hi,

I am going to fill out contract forms for a UK agency and need help from linguist in UK or ones located out of UK with experience in dealing with agencies in UK. My lanuage pairs are ENG KOR. I need to know

- Translation rate per 1,000 words and minimum charge

For ENG > KOR, KOR > ENG

How do you think of 60-65 GBP/1,000 words?

- Proofreading rate per hour

For ENG > KOR, KOR . ENG

- Interpretation rate(Ad-hoc and consecutive)

Full day rate, Half day rate, Hourly rate, Minimum charge

If you can inform me current average rate for English to/from Asian languages (Japanese, Korean, etc) in UK. it will be helpful. Any input will be much thanked.

Cheers,

Jay

[Edited at 2007-08-04 08:26]
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
it is ok Aug 4, 2007

Hi Jay, I think your rate for translation is ok, I also charge around that.

Lenah

skyblue
skyblue
United States
Local time: 18:08
Member (2006)
English to Korean
+ ...
Depending on the projects Aug 4, 2007

I think your rate is about the average market price for translation jobs and an appropriate rate for a general quote, although I myself feel it should be higher than that. You can go a little lower or higher depending on the amount of research and communication involved.

[Edited at 2007-08-05 03:28]

Jay Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ladies Aug 5, 2007

Hi Lenah and Skyblue,

Thank you for kind feedback.Then how do you think if I suggest my UK agency 65-70 GBP for ENG > KOR and 75-80 GBP for KOR > ENG? Will this rate work? How much would be your minimum charge for translation? It is difficult for me to figure out proper minimum charge as I have no knowledge about UK translation market.

I am interested in average proofreading and interpretation rate in UK too and need you help.

Jay

skyblue
skyblue
United States
Local time: 18:08
Member (2006)
English to Korean
+ ...
You have to first know how strong your background is Aug 5, 2007

I assume that you don't want to lose this client and that is why you are being careful before you give your rates to them. You can always raise your rates appropriately later once you prove you are good. By putting your rates too high, you may risk your opportunity to work with this agency. You have to first know how competitive your skills and experience are. If you are unsure about that, the best is just to quote market rates (60-65 GBP/1,000 words). If you are confident, of course I think you... See more
I assume that you don't want to lose this client and that is why you are being careful before you give your rates to them. You can always raise your rates appropriately later once you prove you are good. By putting your rates too high, you may risk your opportunity to work with this agency. You have to first know how competitive your skills and experience are. If you are unsure about that, the best is just to quote market rates (60-65 GBP/1,000 words). If you are confident, of course I think you can ask a bit higher.

When you charge based on source language, the word count ratio is about 30% less in KO>EN than in EN>KO. So you can consider this fact when you give your rate for KO>EN. Probably you already know this though.

Regarding minimum charge, I charge 25 GBP.

[Edited at 2007-08-05 05:14]
Collapse

Jay Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You have good point there Aug 5, 2007

skyblue wrote:

I assume that you don't want to lose this client and that is why you are being careful before you give your rates to them. You can always raise your rates appropriately later once you prove you are good. By putting your rates too high, you may risk your opportunity to work with this agency.

Your point is quite true. I do not like to lose this opportunity. With my UK agency contract form in my hands, I thought I'd better get reliable info on average UK rates and charges for translation, proofing, interpretation, transcription and subtitling before filling out and sending it back to them. First 3 is must. I am relatively new here, having joined ProZ a few months back. For my ability and experience, I think I am above average in both with good background but I do not think I am on a par with ones on the top. Only and biggest drawback is lack of software(Trados, Qark Expresss, InDesign, FrameMaker, etc) and related skills. This should be addressed to become more professional.

Like you said, my ENG > KOR rate should be practical, working one and I agree on 60-65 GBP. I can quote minimum charge around 25 GBP. From your tip on number of word ratio of 10:7(ENG:KOR), that makes 60-65 x 10/7 = 85-92 GBP range. Did I get you right? Still it is difficult to figure out average KOR> ENG translation rate and proofing rate for ENG > KOR, KOR > ENG. Many thanks for your thoughtul advise!!!

Jay

[Edited at 2007-08-05 06:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advise on translation and interpretation rate in UK

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »