Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 03:28
English to Korean
+ ...
Aug 12, 2007

Hi,

I am English to/from Korean translator and interpreter in S. Korea. A UK agency sent me contract forms after reviewing my qualifications and I like to give it a try. Problem I have is I do not know average rates for translation, proofreading, interpretation currently accepted in UK. I will much appreciate any and all inputs from Korean linguists working in UK. I need to know followings first.

- Translation rate per 1,000 words and minimum charge
... See more
Hi,

I am English to/from Korean translator and interpreter in S. Korea. A UK agency sent me contract forms after reviewing my qualifications and I like to give it a try. Problem I have is I do not know average rates for translation, proofreading, interpretation currently accepted in UK. I will much appreciate any and all inputs from Korean linguists working in UK. I need to know followings first.

- Translation rate per 1,000 words and minimum charge

For ENG > KOR, KOR> ENG

- Proofreading rate per hour

For ENG > KOR, KOR> ENG

- Interpreting rate(Consecutive and Ad-hoc)

Full day rate, half day rate, hourly rate, minimum charge

I only found market rate is 60-65 GBP/1,000 words for ENG > KOR translation in UK. Though I have no idea on rate for KOR > ENG, minimum charge, rate for proofreading and interpreting. How much do you charge or what is your idea on average rates in UK market.

Cheers,

Jay
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
French to English
+ ...
will you be interpreting? Aug 12, 2007

Hi Jay,

This looks like the agency's standard form - will you really be interpreting for them, if you live in South Korea? If not, it is safe to leave the space blank.

For the other parts, if you have a translation rate (and you seem to have one), work out how much you translate per hour, multiply the number of words/characters by the translation rate, and there you have your hourly rate, which can be applied to anything - proofreading, editing, revising, interpreting.<
... See more
Hi Jay,

This looks like the agency's standard form - will you really be interpreting for them, if you live in South Korea? If not, it is safe to leave the space blank.

For the other parts, if you have a translation rate (and you seem to have one), work out how much you translate per hour, multiply the number of words/characters by the translation rate, and there you have your hourly rate, which can be applied to anything - proofreading, editing, revising, interpreting.

If the agency doesn't like your rate, they will tell you - then it's up to you whether to insist on it or not.
Collapse

Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 03:28
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah. I will if they ask Aug 13, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:

Hi Jay,

For the other parts, if you have a translation rate (and you seem to have one), work out how much you translate per hour, multiply the number of words/characters by the translation rate, and there you have your hourly rate, which can be applied to anything - proofreading, editing, revising, interpreting.

Angela,

Thanks for tips. I do a lot of interepreting here in S. Korea. Most of my clients contact me direct but I always welcome interpreting assignments from foreign agencies. We have a lot of traffic of business people coming from North America, UK, Europe and Asia. If they have any UK client visiting Korea and contact me, I can give help. Well, I know I am located in Korea and chances might be slim as you pointed out. Though personally I focus on interpreting and like to give them reasonable(sensible and working) rate for interpreting. I lived and travelled in US, Canada, Japan and rate is not same everywhere you go. Interpreting rate in Japan is highest as far as I know. No idea about UK rate but UK and Europan rate is generally higher than US.

How do you charge for interpreting in UK if you do any?

Jay

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Check this... Aug 17, 2007

The Institute of Translation and Interpreting in the UK conducted a rates and salaries survey in 2001. Admittedly, it is a bit out of date, but Korean is one of the languages on the list, and it gives you an idea of what others ask.
I suggest, have a look, and adjust your prices accordingly.
I would not go much below the prices quoted
... See more
The Institute of Translation and Interpreting in the UK conducted a rates and salaries survey in 2001. Admittedly, it is a bit out of date, but Korean is one of the languages on the list, and it gives you an idea of what others ask.
I suggest, have a look, and adjust your prices accordingly.
I would not go much below the prices quoted for your language.

www.iti.org.uk/uploadedFiles/surveys/ITI2001R&S.pdf

For interpreting you charge per hour or half a day/full day, but if you live in South Korea, it is very unlikely that they will ask you to travel to the UK for an interpreting assignement.
Rates for interpreting in South Korea or in the neighbouring countries would have to be in line with the local rates, plus sustenance, travelling and hotel costs as necessary.

[Edited at 2007-08-17 15:42]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advise from Korean linguists in UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »