Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Don't cry for excessive rates, Argentina!
Thread poster: Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2007

«Our selection process incorporates the validation of qualifications and experience; dedication to their role (that is, they do not have another job); and equipment and tools expertise. All applicants have to pass a linguistic and technical test assignment. We also confirm alignment in terms of the pricing of their services. Our experience is that many freelancers have unrealistic expectations in terms of compensation, often influenced by foreign customers with limited market knowledge who pay ... See more
«Our selection process incorporates the validation of qualifications and experience; dedication to their role (that is, they do not have another job); and equipment and tools expertise. All applicants have to pass a linguistic and technical test assignment. We also confirm alignment in terms of the pricing of their services. Our experience is that many freelancers have unrealistic expectations in terms of compensation, often influenced by foreign customers with limited market knowledge who pay excessive rates.»

https://216.18.156.115/multilingual/down...Supp89.pdf

[Edited at 2007-08-30 20:20]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Hilarious... Aug 27, 2007

ah, these foreigners clients who are so stupid not to exploit their workforce...

Deschant
Deschant
I think I'll... Aug 27, 2007

I think I'll use that reasoning the next time I'll have to pay my plumber or my dentist. "Guy, you've been fooling me for years because I had a limited knowledge of the market. Now I know better and I see you have unrealistic expectations regarding your fees"...

Regards,
Eva

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:41
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hysterical! Aug 27, 2007

I'm off to call the bank about my mortgage with this excuse about my limited knowledge of the market....

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:41
Spanish to English
Ah Yes Aug 27, 2007

...And then the writer complains about the quality of the translators they have hired, I presume the ones that don't have "unrealistic expectations" about fees...

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Patronising or what! Aug 27, 2007

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where's the original post? Aug 27, 2007

I can't see it.

De la Vera C (X)
De la Vera C (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
Where's the original post 2 Aug 27, 2007

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:

I can't see it.

Me neither...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Maybe ... Aug 27, 2007

... it was removed because it identified the agency in question (although the supplied link didn't work). Only reason I can think of, but may be wrong.

A second posting was also just removed, so seems likely.

But in a nutshell - for those who haven't seen it - it said that freelancers are often unrealistic in their expectations of rates because clients, with limited market knowledge, don't realise they're being charged excessively!

As Marijke rightly says
... See more
... it was removed because it identified the agency in question (although the supplied link didn't work). Only reason I can think of, but may be wrong.

A second posting was also just removed, so seems likely.

But in a nutshell - for those who haven't seen it - it said that freelancers are often unrealistic in their expectations of rates because clients, with limited market knowledge, don't realise they're being charged excessively!

As Marijke rightly says ... patronising or what?

[Edited at 2007-08-27 16:53]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
Forum rule #8 Aug 27, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Spot on - we have asked Aurora to remove the link.

In the meantime, I would appreciate if everyone else could refrain from reposting it - to be clear, I'm posting the relevant forum rule:

Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically.
Posts or comments regarding a specific outsourcer (identified by name, reference, link or other means), whether positive or negative, are not permitted.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Ralf

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Post hidden because a specific outsourcer was identified Aug 27, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist is right!

I hid the two posts, and asked the folks who posted them to please remove the links to the originals, because it was possible to identify specific outsourcers by name via those links. Please see http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

The issue involved is quite interesting, and I hope those posts can be restored quickly so it can continue.
... See more
Lawyer-Linguist is right!

I hid the two posts, and asked the folks who posted them to please remove the links to the originals, because it was possible to identify specific outsourcers by name via those links. Please see http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

The issue involved is quite interesting, and I hope those posts can be restored quickly so it can continue.

Yolanda Broad
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hola Aug 27, 2007

First I would like to clarify that I did not steal information from anybody's drawer, I just copied information which is in the public domain (a brilliant syntagm for Mother Internet), just an article that this guy wrote to be read by everybody.

We are witnessing the beginning of the collapse, dear colleagues... and I see with deep sorrow that we cannot do anything.

I wonder what the huge English > Spanish community in the US would say if they knew what these people are
... See more
First I would like to clarify that I did not steal information from anybody's drawer, I just copied information which is in the public domain (a brilliant syntagm for Mother Internet), just an article that this guy wrote to be read by everybody.

We are witnessing the beginning of the collapse, dear colleagues... and I see with deep sorrow that we cannot do anything.

I wonder what the huge English > Spanish community in the US would say if they knew what these people are doing. Together with an Argentine cluster of agencies, these people will leave us all without work. That easy. That cruel. Cruel on both sides as they sink the international market while they exploit Argentine translators.

Same old story I have been writing against for years, only that the business is now in the hands of a powerful cluster of businessmen who have started patronizing junior Argentine translators, brainwashing them, 'evangelizing' them to grab them by the ... glossaries.

ATA does not want to talk about rates (cannot, the famous lawsuit), professional associations don't do much, ProZ.com will not allow these denounces. ... checkmate.

Are we charity organizations? Of course we are not! We all want to make money, Aleph is not an NGO, I am not Mother Theresa and I know all of you also want to make money, but isn't there a limit to what some people can do?

Are we that alone here? This is totally unfair and impunity stinks.

Can somebody tell me if the FIT can be contacted on these issues?

Paraphrasing Brecht or Niemöller:

They came for the English into Spanish pair, but I did not object because that was not my pair...

«Then they came for me - And there was no one left to object. »

MAY GOD HELP US

[Edited at 2007-08-27 18:28]
Collapse

Marcela Mestre
Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
clap, clap, CLAP! Aug 27, 2007

My loudest clap to you, Aurora!

If only us, the (enormous) Argentine community of translators, realised how to defend 'the market', that would be great for ALL of us.

My two cents.
mm

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't cry for excessive rates, Argentina!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »