Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Today, I emailed off an invoice for a small job. 3 minutes later, the money was in my Paypal account
Thread poster: Hilde Granlund

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 16:40
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2007

There are plenty of threads about non- or late-paying clients.

It is not all bad.
Today, I emailed off an invoice for a small job. Three minutes later, the money was in my Paypal account.
Wow!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-28 03:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Awesome!!! Aug 27, 2007

Hilde Granlund wrote:

There are plenty of threads about non- or late-paying clients.

It is not all bad.
Today, I emailed off an invoice for a small job. Three minutes later, the money was in my Paypal account.
Wow!

Does your outsourcer work with the English>Spanish pair??? (just a joke)

We have a couple of clients who pay 15 to 21 days after our invoce. It's very good news to know there are outsourcers like this in the world. And it's also good to post positive aspects of our job.

I'm very happy for you. Congrats!

Letty

Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
French to English
+ ...
Not all bad... Aug 28, 2007

I'd agreed with a client that payment was due two weeks from delivery of the text. They paid one week after delivery (so, with one week to spare before deadline) and apologized for the delay.

I also had a client who missed the deadline. When I reminded them that payment was due, the payment (along with payment for a job which wasn't yet due) showed up in my account with profuse apologies and the expressed wish that "I hope you will still want to work with us in future."

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I have had instant payments too Aug 28, 2007

I work with one small agency who is with the same bank as me, so the transfers of money occur instantly. Quite often, for small jobs, I will send off the translation and invoice, go and make a cup of coffee, come back to my desk, look at my bank account, and, sure enough, there is the money already!

Astrid

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Somettimes Up Front Aug 28, 2007

Like today, I had two clients who paid me most of the fee up front in cash, with the balance due on delivery tomorrow.

That works.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
You're right Aug 28, 2007

It's good to let people know that not all is lost and that good clients DO exist.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

Does your outsourcer work with the English>Spanish pair??? (just a joke)

Well, about two months ago a direct client contacted me out of the blue and, given that her project was appealing, I decided to take a chance (not a reckless chance, mind you, I DID send the quote and PO).

The total bill amounted to little less than US$400. I e-mailed the translation on Friday evening as agreed and received a thank you note from my client the next day (saturday), together with an e-mail from paypal telling me that the sum had alreay been paid

That made my week.

Andrea

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
another one.... Aug 28, 2007

An agency once sent me a job with a rate way below mine... I politely told them to please check on their files that the rate they had agreed with me was way over that. Two minutes later they apologized and sent me another (and longer) translation with a higher rate.

I have also had clients pay me immediately, but only with small jobs...

N.

Shouguang Cao
China
Local time: 23:40
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Once a good client, always a good client? Aug 28, 2007

I translated for a translation agency in Shanghai. I got paid monthly for the work in previous month. The pay was bad the it worked fine for a couple of months, until one day I could never get in touch with the coordinator and I lost one month's pay.

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Another one... Aug 28, 2007

I also have a client who pays me almost immediately. Interestingly enough, he is also pays me the highest rate I get!

There are some good clients out there, and this is a good thread to give us some encouragement in the midst of all the negative reports that appear (and often justifiably!)

I have never had anyone who has NEVER paid me, but I have one client who pays VERY slowly. Yet, somehow I keep working for him!! I regard it as a "long term financial surprise" - nice to suddenly get a payment into the account that I had almost forgotten! It offsets my good client, thus giving me a good average!

Thanks, Hilde, and others, for a good posting...
Bill

PS. I am equally surprised at the fast turnaround by PayPal in this case!

[Edited at 2007-08-28 07:45]

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more outsourcers Aug 28, 2007

should realize the effect this kind of payment policy has on the likelihood of me saying yes next time this person asks me to do a job
I suspect it has a similar effect on others

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Well-founded suspicion ... Aug 28, 2007

Hilde Granlund wrote:

should realize the effect this kind of payment policy has on the likelihood of me saying yes next time this person asks me to do a job

You may just be on to something there Hilde There is method in their "madness".

Anyhow, thanks for the positive posting - it's good to hear about those experiences too.

[Edited at 2007-08-28 08:11]

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Exactly Aug 28, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:
Hilde Granlund wrote:

You may just be on to something there Hilde There is method in their "madness".

Of course this is true. I have two agencies that I rate as "1a" clients for this very reason (they accept invoices by fax, and pay within one or two days). And of course, I bend over backwards to fit them in my schedule when they need a job done - after all, it's money in the bank.

The only other client I rate as "1a" is a direct client (solicitor's firm) that often sends me work, gives me very encouraging feedback and is willing to pay a surcharge for rush jobs. This firm pays more than the agencies, of course, but it does not nearly pay as quickly.

I have other direct clients that are also good, and a couple of other agencies that are reasonably good. But they don't get quite the same preferential treatment when I am already full up and they have an urgent job.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
You say 1a ... Aug 28, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Of course this is true. I have two agencies that I rate as "1a" clients for this very reason (they accept invoices by fax, and pay within one or two days). And of course, I bend over backwards to fit them in my schedule when they need a job done - after all, it's money in the bank.

The only other client I rate as "1a" is a direct client (solicitor's firm) that often sends me work, gives me very encouraging feedback and is willing to pay a surcharge for rush jobs. This firm pays more than the agencies, of course, but it does not nearly pay as quickly.

I have other direct clients that are also good, and a couple of other agencies that are reasonably good. But they don't get quite the same preferential treatment when I am already full up and they have an urgent job.

... I say my "inner circle".

Whatever you decide to call them Hilde, Victor has touched on an important point - ranking your clients - not just on rates, speed of payment but those that also give valuable feedback, interesting jobs etc, as long as they pay within agreed terms.

It's important on the one hand not to have all your eggs in one (or two) baskets, but the A+, 1a, inner circle clients are the ones you bend over backwards for (within reason), so keep a very tight rein on this 3-minute wonder you've managed to find.

[Editada em 2007-08-28 17:31]

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great news Aug 28, 2007

I'm happy for you Hilde! Nothing better than a client who shows respect for its collaborators.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
of course Aug 28, 2007

money is not everything.
This was also an interesting project, right in my field, at a reasonable rate. I have done a larger project for this client before, so this file was just an addition to that, and because of that, TM and all, quite easy for me to do.

The first project was also paid promptly, but not within three minutes, as far as I can remember

I love both translating and practicing medicine. I am not so keen on accounting and chasing up late payments. So this kind of client gets three stars in my book.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Today, I emailed off an invoice for a small job. 3 minutes later, the money was in my Paypal account

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search