Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 12:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2001

Please see this and ponder over it.

Look how kudoz points are becoming opium of the translators.

I think this is publicity strategy for Proz.It clearly implies that translators are hungry for points.

And , further, it says\" please give tnem a try\".

Will Henry try to remove such a projection of proz registered translators?

But Henry, may say that answering term questions is optional.

... See more
Please see this and ponder over it.

Look how kudoz points are becoming opium of the translators.

I think this is publicity strategy for Proz.It clearly implies that translators are hungry for points.

And , further, it says\" please give tnem a try\".

Will Henry try to remove such a projection of proz registered translators?

But Henry, may say that answering term questions is optional.

But dear Henry, allowing such a projection of translators is your option ?

Now you can, probably, understand why he allows points for even for easy questions like : My name is Henry Potter, what is yours?

Will you do something to remove such image of the proz translators?

Link: http://www.e-multiweb.com/info/human.htm

“Intelligent Translation by HUMANS for FREE! FAST answers to your e-mailbox

Members of a worldwide network of professional translators are competing for KudoZ! points. If their translation for you is chosen as the best, they will get points. The more points they have, the more likely they will be chosen for future translation work. They welcome this chance to prove their abilities, so please give them a try!”

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-17 15:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-17 15:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-17 16:17 ]
Collapse

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
maybe I'm turning into an old softie Dec 17, 2001

But I see nothing slanderous or offensive about what is written in that website. If they wanted to say \"translators hungry for kudoz and ready to push their competitors off a cliff to get some points\" they would have used that wording and not \"competing for points\". I mean, what is wrong with that? Isn\'t that the truth? Why can\'t a spade be called a spade? The only thing I don\'t like is \"please give them a try\" because it makes me feel a little bit like spaghetti sauce.

Telesf
... See more
But I see nothing slanderous or offensive about what is written in that website. If they wanted to say \"translators hungry for kudoz and ready to push their competitors off a cliff to get some points\" they would have used that wording and not \"competing for points\". I mean, what is wrong with that? Isn\'t that the truth? Why can\'t a spade be called a spade? The only thing I don\'t like is \"please give them a try\" because it makes me feel a little bit like spaghetti sauce.

Telesforo, reading the forums I sometimes get the feeling that this is turning out to be one of those conspiracy theories like Jeebus the Giant Lobster or something. How could one website concentrate so much evil? How could one single website be responsible for the low rates in the translation market? By the way Henry, where were you on Nov. 22, 1963 and what is your relationship with Lee Harvey Oswald?

ME

p.s. note also that the text you quoted was written by the maker of that website, it was not provided with the coding for the sattelite kudoz question.
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 12:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I like your reply Dec 17, 2001

I completely agree with you that one site alone is not resposible for the fall of the rates. But my point is that this site should have tried to arrest the fall of rates.

In fact, it apparently looks as though site is encouraging the reverse type of bidding by allowing open bidding etc, inspite of repeated sentiments expressed by the translators.

For instance, Henry once wrote that \' many people want to get translations done , but at present they are too costly\',
... See more
I completely agree with you that one site alone is not resposible for the fall of the rates. But my point is that this site should have tried to arrest the fall of rates.

In fact, it apparently looks as though site is encouraging the reverse type of bidding by allowing open bidding etc, inspite of repeated sentiments expressed by the translators.

For instance, Henry once wrote that \' many people want to get translations done , but at present they are too costly\', thereby implying that he wants to make translation rates affordable and one of the easiest ways of doing it is by making the rates fall.

He also suggested that translators should not think of charging per word rates, but rather hourly rates. He argued some strange kind of marketing logic. It is like saying\' if they can;t afford bread, let them eat cakes.

Another thing, I agree that PROZ. did not write that piece of publicty. If so, proz. should have at least tried to remove such an image of free translators listed on proz. Look at the way it is begging \' please give them a try\'. It looks as if he is not sensitive to the feelings and sentiments of the translators. Are translators, robots, that they cannot get offended by this kind of publicity by the site promoters or whoever?

It should , at least, do something in this direction.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-17 16:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-17 16:30 ]
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 08:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
KudoZ: a system to help overnight translators Dec 17, 2001

Last Friday, I received about 15 Kudoz questions of the same lady (someone with a secretarial education, who decided overnight that she would become a translator). Unfortunately at a school for P.A.s (secretaries), they don\'t teach you how to translate basic German business-terminology (in this case it was into Dutch). So, if you do not even know the very basics, just put all the words in a translation into Kudoz and your dear colleagues will happily solve your terminology problems for free. Ku... See more
Last Friday, I received about 15 Kudoz questions of the same lady (someone with a secretarial education, who decided overnight that she would become a translator). Unfortunately at a school for P.A.s (secretaries), they don\'t teach you how to translate basic German business-terminology (in this case it was into Dutch). So, if you do not even know the very basics, just put all the words in a translation into Kudoz and your dear colleagues will happily solve your terminology problems for free. KudoZ for them. Easy to translate that way. Wouldn\'t it be a good idea to limit the number of terms a translator can ask to maximum five/day? Or are we all going to solve ALL the terminology problems for free of a translation to be delivered next day by one of our colleagues? She (in this case it was a woman) might as well pass the translation to me or to the other Proz-members.Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:36
SITE FOUNDER
Pricing discussions should be in the 'money matters' section of the forums Dec 17, 2001

I made a posting yesterday asking that all pricing-related discussion be confined to the \'money matters\' section of these forums.

Since the poster of this thread has turned the discussion toward pricing, I am moving this thread to \'money matters\'.

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
limiting kudoz questions per asker/per day Dec 17, 2001

Hi Willivere,

I know exactly how you feel. It\'s outrageous to see how some people abuse the kudoz system by flooding us with 10 or 15 questions on the same topic. I think that the idea of limiting the number of questions per asker is good, and I agree with you that 5 a day would be a fair number. But I also think that it would be very easy to circumvent the limit. All you would need is to get another ID. Perhaps the moderators could squash these questions ? In a certain way
... See more
Hi Willivere,

I know exactly how you feel. It\'s outrageous to see how some people abuse the kudoz system by flooding us with 10 or 15 questions on the same topic. I think that the idea of limiting the number of questions per asker is good, and I agree with you that 5 a day would be a fair number. But I also think that it would be very easy to circumvent the limit. All you would need is to get another ID. Perhaps the moderators could squash these questions ? In a certain way, the ProZ users themselves try to discourage this type of abuse when they see it\'s happening. I\'ve seen some clever answers to abusers, such as \"should we doing other people jobs?\" and \"ten cents a word, e-mail me\". So there is some sort of self-regulation in place, as I see it. But perhaps the ProZ staff should consider setting some kind of limit just to make things a bit tougher on the potential abusers.

My 2 cents,

ME

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:36
SITE FOUNDER
clarifying my position on rates Dec 17, 2001

Telesforo writes:

\"For instance, Henry once wrote that \' many people want to get translations done , but at present they are too costly\', thereby implying that he wants to make translation rates affordable and one of the easiest ways of doing it is by making the rates fall.

He also suggested that translators should not think of charging per word rates, but rather hourly rates. He argued some strange kind of marketing logic. It is like saying\'
... See more
Telesforo writes:

\"For instance, Henry once wrote that \' many people want to get translations done , but at present they are too costly\', thereby implying that he wants to make translation rates affordable and one of the easiest ways of doing it is by making the rates fall.

He also suggested that translators should not think of charging per word rates, but rather hourly rates. He argued some strange kind of marketing logic. It is like saying\' if they can;t afford bread, let them eat cakes.

Telesforo, don\'t speak on my behalf anymore; your version of my opinions is in most cases speculative and wrong.

- I do not advocate the lowering of rates.

- I do not advocate or advise billing by the hour.

I have modified the rules of etiquette for these forums; any posting that attempts to express the opinion of another member without authorization from that member will be deleted.

And by the way,

- I do not have blue eyes

- I don\'t wear \'knickers\'

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

kudoz points, and how they are affecting rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »