Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:11
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Dec 19, 2001

yes, they offer $0,03/word to translators and charge their client $0,12/word. If this isn\'t exploitation, what is it then? And they are from Canada!!!!!!!!!!!

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-19 12:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-19 12:41 ]

Julia Bogdan Rollo (X)
Julia Bogdan Rollo (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
Romanian to English
+ ...
Arc's offer Dec 19, 2001

What I find equally unimaginable is that they are only charging their clients 12 cents/word. Unless this is a personal document translation (and that in rare cases) or a 100,000 word translation it should never be that low and they should be paying at least double what they are paying anyway.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 07:11
German to English
+ ...
Rates - here we go again Dec 20, 2001

I agree with Julia: the original rate should have been higher too.

Regardless, agencies should always pay subcontractors at least 70% of the original rate. Charging the client 12 cents and paying the translator only a lousy 3 cents is ridiculous! They should be boycotted!

Regarding the \"Canada factor\": the freelance market is well regulated in Canada; however, we do have a lot of bad agencies. Percentage-wise, you will find
... See more
I agree with Julia: the original rate should have been higher too.

Regardless, agencies should always pay subcontractors at least 70% of the original rate. Charging the client 12 cents and paying the translator only a lousy 3 cents is ridiculous! They should be boycotted!

Regarding the \"Canada factor\": the freelance market is well regulated in Canada; however, we do have a lot of bad agencies. Percentage-wise, you will find a lot more reasonable and professional agencies in the US and Europe than in Canada. One, anonymous, example: in Western Canada, we have an agency that charges their clients top dollars. Their expectations are usually unrealistic (ie, working for 20 hours straight just to meet their deadline). Their rates are barely US$0.06 per word, and they pay (if they pay) after 6-8 months!

As much as I love my country (and the freelance sector is really great, no two ways about that!), I must admit that our agencies need to be taken with a giant \"salt shaker\".

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-20 00:13 ]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:11
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, they should charge their clients more... Dec 20, 2001

but see what they say on their web site...

\"Some translations may be free (what a concept)$0.00 If you have a simple grammatical question or need to understand a few words in a fax or e-mail. We\'ll do it for Free! Just call us or e-mail us. We\'ll be glad to help\".

Doing things for free is bad, bad, bad... I know it\'s a way of attracting new clients, but it is appalling. Will they ask the translators to give them a freebie everytime that word in Bulg
... See more
but see what they say on their web site...

\"Some translations may be free (what a concept)$0.00 If you have a simple grammatical question or need to understand a few words in a fax or e-mail. We\'ll do it for Free! Just call us or e-mail us. We\'ll be glad to help\".

Doing things for free is bad, bad, bad... I know it\'s a way of attracting new clients, but it is appalling. Will they ask the translators to give them a freebie everytime that word in Bulgarian is a bit beyond their capabilities?

\"Take advantage of our fast turnaround and low prices\".

These people are drastically undercutting the market and this can only lead to a drop in rates for everybody. So, just say no!

Giovanni

Collapse

Rafael Solís
Rafael Solís  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
shameful $0.03 from Arc Translations Dec 23, 2001

It\'s shameful that someone offers to pay $0.003 allright, but it is even worse that someone accepts it. There are as of today 17 bids submitted for this job! Amazing!

I have to add that I don\'t know many in Canada who would even consider answering to such an ad.

Rafael Solís

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arc Translations\' job posting: $00,3 vs $0,12

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »