Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:56
English to French
+ ...
Oct 3, 2007

Hello everyone,

I am an EN>FR in-house translator within a financial company and I have been asked to translate a website (independently of my work activities).

I have to say I am a bit lost as it is the first time that I am going to take such a job on as a freelancer and do not know what the current average prices are.

It seems that 0.06-0.08 EUR/word is the norm around. Could aynone confirm this please? I would not want to ask for too much/too little mo
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am an EN>FR in-house translator within a financial company and I have been asked to translate a website (independently of my work activities).

I have to say I am a bit lost as it is the first time that I am going to take such a job on as a freelancer and do not know what the current average prices are.

It seems that 0.06-0.08 EUR/word is the norm around. Could aynone confirm this please? I would not want to ask for too much/too little money...

Also, what kind of proposal should I send to my client, i.e. what information is required...?

Thank you all for your help and sorry if I have not posted this message in the right forum.

Nat
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:56
French to English
+ ...
no rules Oct 4, 2007

Nathalie,

There is no "set rate" or rate range, regardless what the predominant rate offering per word of projects posted on this site or others might suggest.

As an independent professional, you set your rate and terms (I do not know the regulations in Ireland; in France, being paid for work outside your salaried position without being a registered independent professional would be totally illegal!).

Cheers,

Patricia

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No rules, yet.. Oct 4, 2007

Hi Nathalie,

Patricia is right, the rates vary a great deal in translation.
Anyway, you already work as a translator, so you must have quite aprecise idea of your average thoughput, right?
To set your rate, just divide the volume of the work by your average throughput to obtain the time you will need to work on it. After that, multiply the number of words of the project by the rates you think are OK: if you think the total amount is worth the time you will be spending o
... See more
Hi Nathalie,

Patricia is right, the rates vary a great deal in translation.
Anyway, you already work as a translator, so you must have quite aprecise idea of your average thoughput, right?
To set your rate, just divide the volume of the work by your average throughput to obtain the time you will need to work on it. After that, multiply the number of words of the project by the rates you think are OK: if you think the total amount is worth the time you will be spending on the job, then the rate is fine.
I tried another calculation when I settled as a freelancer: I divided my target monthly revenue (the minimum revenue I wanted to reach so as to live "correctly" as a freelancer) by my average daily throughput multiplied by the number of working days in the months: this is quite rough, however it can help you get an idea of the rates ABOVE which you should be.
Cheers,
Annelise
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to Russian
+ ...
my comment Oct 4, 2007

It's always better to ask for 8 than for 6 cents per word.
Sometimes I ask for 13 and the strange thing is - sometimes they pay!

Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 03:56
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Oct 4, 2007

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for your prompt replies which I will take on board!

Cheers,
Nat

Marcela Mestre
Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:56
English to Spanish
'To ask or not to ask...' Oct 4, 2007

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

It's always better to ask for 8 than for 6 cents per word.
Sometimes I ask for 13 and the strange thing is - sometimes they pay!

I have been working with a Welsh institution and it was they who gladly offered 16 cents of a dollar! And... they are not a financial institution.

I think most of us (Latin American freelance translators working for overseas agencies) have the misconception that end-clients pay low...

Isn't it time to fight back?

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Website translation Oct 6, 2007

is generally not different from other translations

Your prices will depend of:
- your own price per hour (how much are you worth?), taking into account that probably you will have to register as an indepent service provider and to pay social contributions, taxes, insurances, your computer, electricity, etc. This is calculated over a year and divided by the number of working hours.
- your experience
- agency vs. direct client
- the subject (tourism is MUCH eas
... See more
is generally not different from other translations

Your prices will depend of:
- your own price per hour (how much are you worth?), taking into account that probably you will have to register as an indepent service provider and to pay social contributions, taxes, insurances, your computer, electricity, etc. This is calculated over a year and divided by the number of working hours.
- your experience
- agency vs. direct client
- the subject (tourism is MUCH easier than technical where you have to check every word)
- and, for website translation, additional technical points such as: is it in HTML or in a CMS? are you supposed to do the IT part of the job?

Your word price is a function of your hourly price. On an average, you can translate about 300 words per hour. If you have lots of experience or if there are repetitive strains, you can translate much more, advertising can be slowing down to 100 words per hour. (I think in general prices per word should be somewhere between 0,08 and 0,16).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation - prices and invoice

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »