Translator in Berlin, how much €!
Thread poster: mvc139
mvc139
Local time: 18:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

Hello everyone!
I recently moved to Berlin and I am now looking for a job as a translator. I found a big company that is looking for a Spanish native speaker to translate technical texts from German into Spanish. I would work 40 hours a week.
They asked me how much I would like to earn and I said I needed to think about it.
I wanted to ask you if you have a clue of how much I could get or how much I should ask for (gross income).
Thanks!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Absolutely no clue Oct 9, 2007

This is a question only you can answer.
Only you know how much money you will need for living - renting a flat in Berlin, eating, drinking etc. And then only you know, if you wanna war Dolce & Gabbana or C&A.

Jerzy

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Try the link below Oct 9, 2007

Try clicking through the links on this page...

http://www.gehalts-check.de/gehaltsfuehrer/gehalt-office/berufe/BG_10/GR_228/ANFANG.HTM

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your experience Oct 10, 2007

Last year, I was offered a part-time position (30 hrs) in project management for 800€. I had (and have) no experience in this field and didn't take the job, obviously. And generally, wages in Berlin are not very high.

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Translator/Interpreter salary at the Foreign Office Oct 10, 2007

Hi there,

This is a link to the current German civil service salary chart (TVÖD).
Translators and interpreters working at the language service of the Foreign Office and other federal ministries are paid according to it. As far as I know, nowadays newly hired translators start out with E13 and will be upgraded to E14 after a couple of years. I don't really know how the stages ("Stufen") are handled for newcomers as I was employed according to BAT (that's what the civil service pay scale used to be called) and in 2005, our salaries were converted to the new pay scale and allocated to the corresponding "Stufe" AFTER conversion, so that nobody earned any less than before the conversion. We were told by our HR department that newly hired people would stay on Stufe 1 for 1 year, then 2 years on Stufe 2, 3 years on Stufe 3 and so on. But on what conditions the upgrade to E14 is performed wasn't explained.

I don't know if this is of any use for you but it should give you an idea of what the Federal Government pays its translators. BTW, all our translators and interpreters are university-educated - the government doesn't accept applications from candidates without a translator/interpreter university education.

Greetings to my much-missed Berlin!

Barbara

PS: Forgot to mention, the link above refers to the chart for the EASTERN part of Berlin as the Foreign Office is located there and people hired after 1999 (when the Foreign Office moved from Bonn to Berlin) are paid according to the East German standard. If and when the difference between East and West Berlin will be done away with the salaries will, of course, be a couple of percent higher...

[Edited at 2007-10-10 05:09]

[Edited at 2007-10-10 05:15]

mvc139
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 10, 2007

Thank you all for your interesting comments... I tried to take into account what you all said, but Astrid and Barbara gave me the impression I could earn a lot, while Carolin's input didn't sound so positive.
I called the company today and I said I would like to earn around 1500€ (net income) in month. The answer I got was: "but you know this is a full-time job, don't you?" which made me think I was asking for too little. I said I know that but I am not sure about how much would be reasonable so I am willing to know what he thinks. He said he would check my profile again and the other candidates' and then he will call me...
Let's see what happens

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it is slightly on the low side Oct 12, 2007

Even secretaries usually get at least a couple of hundred more than that per month net these days.

It is also true, however, that some German firms tend to see translators - at least female ones - as belonging in the "super-secretary" category, so that they are only willing to pay at the upper end of the secretarial scale.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator in Berlin, how much €!

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search