Medical onsite interpretation (Florida) - working directly for end client?
Thread poster: Adriana Johnston
Adriana Johnston
Adriana Johnston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

Hi, everyone, I occassionaly get called by interpreting agencies to do medical onsite interpretations and I know that they have a set rate they charge the client, and the interpreter that does the actual work, gets only a portion of it.
I was wondering if you work directly with the client; per say the Doctor or clinic, What is the interpreter going rate in Tampa Fl?

Is there anyone that works directly with the client? If so, Do you have to be a "company", Do you come up wit
... See more
Hi, everyone, I occassionaly get called by interpreting agencies to do medical onsite interpretations and I know that they have a set rate they charge the client, and the interpreter that does the actual work, gets only a portion of it.
I was wondering if you work directly with the client; per say the Doctor or clinic, What is the interpreter going rate in Tampa Fl?

Is there anyone that works directly with the client? If so, Do you have to be a "company", Do you come up with your own contract agreement?

Please help me out as I am trying to start providing services directly to client.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-10 04:29]
Collapse

Marcelo González
Marcelo González  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:58
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hospitals and clinics might be a better option Oct 11, 2007

You might consider applying for full- or part-time (or even "on-call") positions with hospitals/health-care providers. This way, you'll get a feel for what the market pays (outside the context of translation/interpretation agencies).

I've seen health-care interpreter positions on Career Builder; you might want to take a look. About a year ago, I was offered a full-time position at a hospital in California that paid about $16 an hour. Salaries in Tampa might be somewhat similar (give
... See more
You might consider applying for full- or part-time (or even "on-call") positions with hospitals/health-care providers. This way, you'll get a feel for what the market pays (outside the context of translation/interpretation agencies).

I've seen health-care interpreter positions on Career Builder; you might want to take a look. About a year ago, I was offered a full-time position at a hospital in California that paid about $16 an hour. Salaries in Tampa might be somewhat similar (given the similar need for interpreters in south Florida).

As for getting direct clients, this might be much more of a challenge...

Another thing to consider is preparation. I don't know if you've completed any coursework in the field, but if you haven't (and you don't mind Miami), you might want to look into Miami Dade College's Translation & Interpretation program. Though I can't speak on the quality of its instruction, on paper it looks like a good program, especially at in-state tuition rates. They may have some courses you might like to take (that is, if you can live in another part of the state for a while).

A final recommendation is that you visit the website of the California Healthcare Interpreting Association, which has excellent info (including loads of useful links) on the field in general.

Good luck!

Marcelo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical onsite interpretation (Florida) - working directly for end client?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »