Rate: are repeated words paid?
Thread poster: jenny van driel

jenny van driel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
French to Dutch
Oct 22, 2007

I have a translation offer for 10.000 words with 60% repetition. I don't work with a CAT tool. The agency asks me how maney words i'll count. Thanks for any help.

Jenny

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-23 07:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:21
English to German
+ ...
You can answer that Oct 22, 2007

Hi Jenny,

I have a translation offer for 10.000 words with 60% repetition.

Did you check that yourself (bearing in mind that you don't use a CAT tool)?

I don't work with a CAT tool. The agency asks me how maney words i'll count.

In essence, a word count is only a mechanism - what's important for you is the amount of money made per hour (or day) worked. Therefore, the key to what you'll need to charge is how much time it'll take you to process 10k words with 60% repetition (compared to 10k without repetition). My best guess is that it's at least 50-55% (as those repetitions also require time processing, 40% would appear the wrong answer to me), and possibly more - depending on the structure of the text.

HTH, Ralf

Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Oct 23, 2007

Word count is a way of measuring in order to know how much to charge.

Repeated words should not affect this amount.

Just as you don't charge less for two letter words, or more for six syllable words, you should not charge less for repeated words.

Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not words Oct 23, 2007

Heidi C wrote:
Just as you don't charge less for two letter words, or more for six syllable words, you should not charge less for repeated words.

It is not a matter of repeated words, but rather of repeated segments (usually sentences or paragraphs). You will be expected to apply a reviewing-editing rate to these, instead of a translating rate.

That said, I totally agree with Ralf's approach to calculation.

Regards,
Cr

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Repetitions with no CAT tool Oct 23, 2007

jenny van driel wrote:
I have a translation offer for 10.000 words with 60% repetition. I don't work with a CAT tool.

That many repetitions, huh? If there are a few repetitions, it may speed me up because the text becomes familiar quicker, but if there are too many repetitions, then typing them becomes tedious and the job loses joy.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Repetitions have to be proof read... Oct 23, 2007

What makes repetitions tedious is that they are not always 100%.

This can be handled to some extent with a CAT, which shows where the differences are, but otherwise you have to check very carefully for slight variations, and this takes extra time at the proof-reading stage.

You may on the other hand save a little time if you work out terminology systematically before you start and get familiar with it, so that you can translate in an even flow without having to stop and look up too much.

Again, a CAT with a concordance is a help, but not indispensable.

If you are not using a CAT and you can't literally 'cut and paste' sections large enough to save a lot of time, then don't give reductions, or only a very small one, for repeats.

In fact I think big reductions for repeats are a misunderstanding. I save very little time even with a CAT, though with a job that big I would save more. (Most of my jobs are small, or small 'chapters' of ongoing projects.) Where I do gain is in quality and consistency, but that is no reason for reducing your rate, especially after you have paid for the CAT and spent time learning to use it.

The same sentence in the source language may need to be translated differently in a different context.

'Please remember' and 'Don't forget' are variant translations of the same Danish expression - and I sometimes have trouble with Trados because they are not entirely interchangeable in English. (They are not in Danish either, but the difference is far more subtle than a 100% match...)

And that is just one very simple example. There are literally thousands in any language pair.

So if you have to sit and type every word individually and proof it afterwards, allow no reduction at all!

jenny van driel  Identity Verified
United States
French to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help Oct 23, 2007

I am very greatful for all these comments, it becomes much clearer.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:21
Flemish to English
+ ...
10.000 words. Oct 23, 2007

jenny van driel wrote:

I have a translation offer for 10.000 words with 60% repetition. I don't work with a CAT tool. The agency asks me how maney words i'll count. Thanks for any help.

Jenny

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-23 07:57]

Simple: You count what they will charge their end-client: 10.000 words

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate: are repeated words paid?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search