Subhan Fakhrizada
Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:01
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Oct 24, 2007

Hello,

I have worked for an agency, and the agreement for the tens of thousand words was to be per word basis. I completed the job on time and delivered. However, since the original files were in old PDF format, could not be counted using word counter software, and the result is a difference of about 25000 words, between my count/estimate and his count/estimate.

He has paid about 75 percent of the due payment, but still he owe me considerable amount of money, even bas
... See more
Hello,

I have worked for an agency, and the agreement for the tens of thousand words was to be per word basis. I completed the job on time and delivered. However, since the original files were in old PDF format, could not be counted using word counter software, and the result is a difference of about 25000 words, between my count/estimate and his count/estimate.

He has paid about 75 percent of the due payment, but still he owe me considerable amount of money, even based on his word counts, he still owe me about $1000, even 6 months after the completion of project.

I have decided to go to the original owner of the documents, a leading US car manufacturing company, and clime the copyright ownership of the manual, as i have not been paid in full.

I would appreciate any suggestion/recommendation from colleagues.

Best
Collapse

Carolin Haase
Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:01
English to German
+ ...
Why did you wait so long? Oct 25, 2007

Six months have passed already! Have you contacted a lawyer or a collection agency? This is a considerable amount of money, it would be worth it, don't you think?

However, what is the position of the outsourcer? Did he tell you why he hasn't paid the full amount yet? Were there quality issues?

As to your plan to involve the original client, the car manufacturer, I am not sure if this would be a good idea. Your contract was with the agency and not the direct client, afte
... See more
Six months have passed already! Have you contacted a lawyer or a collection agency? This is a considerable amount of money, it would be worth it, don't you think?

However, what is the position of the outsourcer? Did he tell you why he hasn't paid the full amount yet? Were there quality issues?

As to your plan to involve the original client, the car manufacturer, I am not sure if this would be a good idea. Your contract was with the agency and not the direct client, after all.

Let's see what the others say to this...

Best wishes,
Carolin
Collapse

Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:01
English to French
+ ...
always check number of words beforehand Oct 25, 2007

I don't know recovery procedures in your country, but in the future, always check the number of words to avoid problem. If you can't have the nb of words in pdf files, try Abracadabracompteur which is a free software (already discussed in those forums). Or just copy paste the pdf in Word to have a wordcount with "Tools, Statistics".
Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your practice for recovery

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »