What is meant by "PO"?
Thread poster: Åsa_Maria K
Åsa_Maria K
Åsa_Maria K  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:23
English to Swedish
Oct 25, 2007

I just received a job for a client who says "Please do't start without a PO".

What does she mean?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PO = purchase order Oct 25, 2007

What the client tells you is to wait for their purchase order.

HTH, Ralf

Åsa_Maria K
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 25, 2007

I am new in this business, as you might understand...:-)

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Details Oct 25, 2007

A 'Purchase Order' or 'Project Order' is a document that lists what you are supposed to do (which documents should be translated/reviewed into which language), some characteristics of the job (number of words, number of full/partial/no matches), how to deliver (by e-mail, by mail, by FTP, as .doc, TM included or not, etc), when to deliver (deadline, in one go or bit by bit), and last but not least, what they're gonna pay you.
Some agencies have more elaborate PO's then others, but above it
... See more
A 'Purchase Order' or 'Project Order' is a document that lists what you are supposed to do (which documents should be translated/reviewed into which language), some characteristics of the job (number of words, number of full/partial/no matches), how to deliver (by e-mail, by mail, by FTP, as .doc, TM included or not, etc), when to deliver (deadline, in one go or bit by bit), and last but not least, what they're gonna pay you.
Some agencies have more elaborate PO's then others, but above items are usually included.

The reason they want you to wait, is that they probably have asked several translators whether they are available, and haven't decided yet who will get the job. Or they (quite decently) want to give you the chance to properly evaluate all the aspects of the job, so you can decline if something is not to your liking.
Collapse

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Acronyms Oct 25, 2007

This site may be useful to you:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=PO&string=exact
Best of luck.

Mafalda

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Legally binding Oct 25, 2007

In some European countries the agency does not consider itself legally bound until it issues a PO. I always insist on one before doing any work, as I got stitched up by a French agency who assigned the job to me but didn't send a PO. When I sent them the translation they said they had never confirmed the order and refused to pay.
As they say in Bosnia, 'svaka skola se placa'.

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Trust the French ;-) Oct 25, 2007

John Farebrother wrote:

I always insist on one before doing any work, as I got stitched up by a French agency who assigned the job to me but didn't send a PO. When I sent them the translation they said they had never confirmed the order and refused to pay.

But do NOT trust the P.Os!
In my experience the more elaborate the PO, the least trustworthy it is. The more they demand in the PO, the less likely they are to pay you within a reasonable delay and usually: it is not a rule, but it is what I noticed over the years.
I certanily do not insist on a PO now and get it rather seldom.
At the moment I am bound by a monthly PO, which I hate: All the work done for this agency is listed and they send me a monthly PO at the end of the month, to be paid 30 days later. Officially, I always refuse the 45 or 60 days payments, but that PO system means that if I do some work for them at the beginning of the month, I have to wait for the PO at the end of that month to send the invoice. If for any reason I send the invoice 8 days later or if they send the PO with some delay - which happens - that means that in the best of cases I will get paid 60 days after I delivered the first jobs, more often 68 days. That drives me mad.
Why do I keep on working for them? Because they send me work every week and I enjoy that type of work.

So a PO is not always what it looks like and can bring its load of frustration.

I have never had any problem with people who do not send me POs: isn't it strange?

Claudette

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
No PO, no GO Oct 25, 2007

Hi. If your client says that every job needs a PO, make sure you get it before you start working on the job.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Also they may need the OK from their customer Oct 25, 2007

And you shouldn't start before your customer tells you so (meaning that they got their purchase order from their client).

About PO or not PO, from my experience the PO (or lack thereof) doesn't tell you anything about a company's solvency.
Some agencies send a PO with the files to translate, others just a reference number and the files to translate. Even worse for a 1-off mid-sized job from an unknown company without BB from a remote country, it was just a signature on the qu
... See more
And you shouldn't start before your customer tells you so (meaning that they got their purchase order from their client).

About PO or not PO, from my experience the PO (or lack thereof) doesn't tell you anything about a company's solvency.
Some agencies send a PO with the files to translate, others just a reference number and the files to translate. Even worse for a 1-off mid-sized job from an unknown company without BB from a remote country, it was just a signature on the quotation sheet (doubtful and risky? Very, I just checked their phone number was actually registered and operating. But I got paid in full in 20 days).
Typically, large companies send a PO as per their procedures, smaller ones can't be bothered and reference number tracking is good enough. Either type can be crooks or fantastic customers...
My only non-payment was from a French agency (oh no, not again) that used to send proper POs (before they went down the pan). But I also deal with very good French agencies.

So my experience tells me not to bother too much about POs, but to unleash the dogs as soon as I feel payment is too delayed for my liking...

Goodnight,
Philippe
Collapse

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Similar to Claudette Oct 26, 2007

The only agency I ever worked with from the Blue Board that insisted on a PO never did pay me. They are also the only agency that ever failed to pay ...

However, if they insist don't go ahead without the PO.

Good luck!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
here are a few terms... Oct 26, 2007

PO = purchase order /procurement order
CO= circular order
cc = not carbon copy, but circular contract
TC = Term contract
pc= a contract for the whole project, only one translator finishes this.

There are many such terms
good luck Best regards, Brandis

Åsa_Maria K
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments! Oct 26, 2007

They are very helpful to a newcomer like me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is meant by "PO"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »