bad payer in Belarus
Thread poster: MGL
MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:25
Russian to English
Nov 8, 2007

Does any one have any suggestions about what recourse may be taken to collect from a client located in Belarus (if any)? Inquiry-type reminders have been sent to no avail.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 15:25
Russian to English
+ ...
You have no recourse Nov 8, 2007

In a nutshell, that's the sad truth. Usually, I do not even bother bidding on or accepting jobs from anywhere in the third world.

In a similar discussion a while back, someone (obviously a person in the know) suggested sending the delinquent an official last letter indicating that the claim is about to be sold to a collection agency in Kaliningrad or in Odessa, Ukraine. Presumably, those are the notorious bone-breakers. It's a bluff though.

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
ugh Nov 8, 2007

Thanks for your input!
That's what I was afraid of. I kind of hate to say I won't take projects from clients in certain countries, but... I guess this one'll be at the top of my new list.

Vladimir Baranich
Vladimir Baranich  Identity Verified
Russian
+ ...
No chance Nov 8, 2007

Hm, somebody was so extraoptimistic to work with Belarusian client? What on earth could make you do that? Actually, you are right, Megan, about certain countries. Next time read news or do some google.

Vladimir Baranich
Russian
+ ...
Oh, I've got idea. Nov 8, 2007

Megan, post information about them here. I'll try to find out who are they, if possible.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Blue Board Nov 8, 2007

Hi Megan,
It's too early to fall into despair, I think. A surprisingly high number of payment problems can be resolved by simply informing the client that you will post a note on payment practices lists, such as the Blue Board. That is certainly a step you should not omit: other translators may be warned by your feedback and stay away from this client.
Payment problems does not occur with fly-by-night agencies. They also might face liquidity problems but if they want to stay in the
... See more
Hi Megan,
It's too early to fall into despair, I think. A surprisingly high number of payment problems can be resolved by simply informing the client that you will post a note on payment practices lists, such as the Blue Board. That is certainly a step you should not omit: other translators may be warned by your feedback and stay away from this client.
Payment problems does not occur with fly-by-night agencies. They also might face liquidity problems but if they want to stay in the business for a long time they will most probably try to arrange things before serious harm is done to their reputation. So, stay professional, inform them of the steps you will take and the consequences they might face, leaving sufficient time for them to arrange the money transfer (you can set a deadline of, say, 1 week for that).
Should the Blue Board not work, mentioning the name of a debt collection agency is often enough - without having to use their services.
Certainly, the situation is much more difficult than if you had a US client but it is too early to give up.
Best of luck
Attila

[Edited at 2007-11-08 17:33]
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
oh look! Nov 8, 2007

Perhaps I could send you along to collect it for me, Vladimir?

You're right, I was being optimistic. But I don't really appreciate your insinuation that I was completely oblivious. I have taken some chances before and been very pleasantly surprised.

This clearly was not one of those times - oh well!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please respect the forum rules Nov 8, 2007

Hi Vladimir,
Megan, post information about them here. I'll try to find out who are they, if possible.

Please don't - you may want to take a moment to review the forum rules, in particular rule 1.8:

Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically.
Posts or comments regarding a specific outsourcer (identified by name, reference, link or other means), whether positive or negative, are not permitted. (To indicate their likelihood of working again with a given outsourcer, site users should use the ProZ.com Blue Board.)

In view of some generalisations in this topic, I would also remind everyone of the general site rules.

Attila is right: post a Blue Board entry as a starting point.

Best regards,
Ralf

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:25
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please! Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically Nov 8, 2007

Please do *not* post any contact information about the outsourcer on the Forums.

See: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

This does not preclude your sending the information privately to someone at their request, of course. And, by all means, do make a Blue Board entry. If you enter an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) of 1 or 2, the system will ask you whether you al
... See more
Please do *not* post any contact information about the outsourcer on the Forums.

See: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

This does not preclude your sending the information privately to someone at their request, of course. And, by all means, do make a Blue Board entry. If you enter an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) of 1 or 2, the system will ask you whether you also want to submit a non-payment complaint. Please do so when prompted.

Yolanda Stern Broad, Ph.D.
ProZ.com Jobs and Blue Board Moderator
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
well... Nov 8, 2007

Vladimir Baranich wrote:

I don't think the rules permit me to post the name anywhere other than the BB.

They are in Minsk, I believe.

(and I have been reprimanded for allegedly naming names by not naming a name. OK!)

[Edited at 2007-11-08 17:08]

Vladimir Baranich
Russian
+ ...
Oops! Silly me. Nov 8, 2007

Initially I did not think they were in BB and in such case (not being there) they would not be outsourcers but just somebody else and thus rules would not be applicable...

[Edited at 2007-11-08 17:54]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
BB is not an exhaustive list of outsourcers Nov 8, 2007

Vladimir Baranich wrote:

Initially I did not think they were in BB and in such case (not being there) they would not be outsourcers but just somebody else and thus rules would not be applicable...

As they outsourced work to Megan, they are outsourcers, whether or not they have a Blue Board entry.
Attila

Vladimir Baranich
Russian
+ ...
Strange Nov 8, 2007

Attila Piróth wrote:

they are outsourcers, whether or not they have a Blue Board entry.
Attila

So anybody who claims to be an outsourcer is exempt from exposure even if they are mere crooks?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Different sections of the site serve different purposes Nov 8, 2007

Hi Vladimir,

So anybody who claims to be an outsourcer is exempt from exposure even if they are mere crooks?

Nobody needs to claim they're an outsourcer - the point is that the forums are not the right place for this kind of discussion. The Blue Board was specifically designed to exchange experience - positive and negative - about outsourcers.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Ralf

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Attila Nov 8, 2007

BB is not an exhaustive list of outsourcers

Anyone can add a BB record for an outsourcer in case there is none.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bad payer in Belarus

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »