Agency not paying long dues, instead offered another job.
Thread poster: Pundora
Pundora
Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:30
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 9, 2007

This guy, a project manager from a translation agency based in other country sent me a job in Dec’ 2006 when I seriously began to explore internet for freelance translation. It was agreed(no signed contracts but through e mails only) that he would send me checks by mail and consolidated payment was not a problem to me in case the amounts were very small because they said there wasn't much volume in Hindi language. I opened a Paypal account only recently. I delivered the project within the dead... See more
This guy, a project manager from a translation agency based in other country sent me a job in Dec’ 2006 when I seriously began to explore internet for freelance translation. It was agreed(no signed contracts but through e mails only) that he would send me checks by mail and consolidated payment was not a problem to me in case the amounts were very small because they said there wasn't much volume in Hindi language. I opened a Paypal account only recently. I delivered the project within the deadline, typing Hindi in the Excel file against the English columns. Then sent him invoice on Dec 9, 2006.

About two months later, on 01 Feb 2007 he sent me this e mail:

“We have just noticed that in the Hindi translation, the first line in each excel sheet was USA - which obviously is not what it should be according to the English version - and is not a mistake done by any other translator. I imagine there was a technical error - but I do urgently need the first line of each excel sheet in Hindi.”

I corrected the stuff (the mistake was there and I also guess it was some technical error or what. One line means one word here on each sheet.) and sent him the file again after making corrections but he sent the following message:

“For some reason I am not receiving the Hindi translation to the words I asked, perhaps the file is corrupt. Please translate those words into the new excel sheet I have attached to this e-mail, and send it to me - I will let you know if I'm able to read it in Hindi (right now I'm receiving the writing in English letters).” I sent the file as requested.

He also sent another e mail the same day stating the following:

“Client also gave comment on your translation
Hindi:
There were a few entries which had no translations. I have added my translation for these.
The translation is good. The corrections I made included:
- One or two spelling errors.
- Tweaking the grammar here and there
- Replacing a heavy word here and there with a simpler one
- Adjusting the gender of a word which had been wrongly used, and
- As I had mentioned earlier, a few entries had not been translated, which were translated by me.”

I asked him to show me all the above mentioned corrections made and the mistakes but he didn’t reply.

After that there was no communication. I got extremely busy with other new agencies and jobs that were of more regular nature and this agency also didn't bother to send me the check till date. Recently, I opened a Paypal account and started chasing a few payments that were due, including this one. Got most of the payments but this guy didn’t reply(earlier he used to reply promptly and no e mail remained unanswered). After some 5-6 reminders through Paypal account and regular e mail he sent me a job offer instead!!! When I asked for the payment, his reply: “Hi Subhash, Pls attacehd your translation... we need to double check it Best Regards…..” When I asked what he meant by it, he simply didn’t reply and posted the job on proz.com!!! The same language and word count he had offered to me.

In my last e mail I have asked him to at least tell me whether he is willing to pay and also warned him of using the Blue Board entry at proz.com. There is no reply as yet. His agency has some 12 good BB entries and one poor entry.

What should be my other course of action now please?? The word count was 1721. I hope this is not a worthless story.

Due to Diwali festival here, I’ll be busy the whole day and may not be able to come to my pc frequently. But all your comments are suggestions are valuable please. Forgive me for any mistakes relating to English language.

I’d like to wish you all good luck and prosperity on this Diwali.

Kind regards,

Pundora
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
obvious crook Nov 9, 2007

you don't even need to think twice. just post your case at his bb page.

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:00
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
be firm + BB entry Nov 9, 2007

Hi, Pundora,

Sorry to hear about this.

I think you should not ask "whether he is willing to pay", but demand payment instead.

Be firm, ask for your invoice to be paid in no more than two weeks.

And post a BB entry.

Best of luck!

Rosa

Kerati Kuaimongkol
Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:00
Member (2007)
English to Thai
Don't hesitate Nov 9, 2007

Hi, Pundora.

Sorry about your case but I think that he wanna cheat you for sure. So, tell the proz community about this agency to give him some lesson.

Anyway, I hope that you can set this up.

Kerati

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:00
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I had a similar case in the past Nov 9, 2007

I had a similar problem with a client that took months to pay and when he finally answered my emails, he said he had another job for me and that he would pay both at the same time.

I didn't believe him for obvious reasons and managed to scare him a little bit with legal action and he paid the same day.

Best of luck,

Elisabete

Pundora
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Made entry but not visible. Nov 9, 2007

Thank you all for your kind suggestions and encouragement. I made an entry in the agency's blue board and it quickly removed job posting from proz.com. Also, I find that it has other name also and the earlier name is given in bracket now. Contact person same, country same, website same. But my entry cannot be seen on it's page still. Only the earlier 11 entries with WWA 5 and one with WWA 2.

Could anyone explain me this phenomenon please?

Regards,

Pundora

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Support chit Nov 9, 2007

I would suggest that you submit a support chit with reagrd to the visibility of BB entries.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Blue Board entries are vetted by ProZ.com staff or moderators Nov 9, 2007

Hi Pundora,
I made an entry in the agency's blue board and it quickly removed job posting from proz.com.

The job you're referring to was closed automatically by the system, as the quoting deadline expired.

Also, I find that it has other name also and the earlier name is given in bracket now.

In the event of a change in the outsourcer's name, we tend to keep the previous name in the BB record for at least six months.

But my entry cannot be seen on it's page still. Only the earlier 11 entries with WWA 5 and one with WWA 2.

Blue Board entries are vetted by ProZ.com staff or moderators (the same applies to outsourcers' replies, BTW). This is noted in the BB FAQ.

I have contacted you privately to clarify whether you are eligible to post an entry. There are certain conditions for posting entries, as set out in the applicable site rules:

Certain conditions must be met before Blue Board entries can be made.
Entries concerning willingness to work again with given outsourcers are allowed only when (1) commissioned work has been completed in full and delivered on time, and (2) there have not been complaints related to quality shortly after delivery. Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned interactions.

Best regards,
Ralf

Pundora
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the clarifications.. Nov 9, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Pundora,
I made an entry in the agency's blue board and it quickly removed job posting from proz.com.

The job you're referring to was closed automatically by the system, as the quoting deadline expired.

Also, I find that it has other name also and the earlier name is given in bracket now.

In the event of a change in the outsourcer's name, we tend to keep the previous name in the BB record for at least six months.

But my entry cannot be seen on it's page still. Only the earlier 11 entries with WWA 5 and one with WWA 2.

Blue Board entries are vetted by ProZ.com staff or moderators (the same applies to outsourcers' replies, BTW). This is noted in the BB FAQ.

I have contacted you privately to clarify whether you are eligible to post an entry. There are certain conditions for posting entries, as set out in the applicable site rules:

Certain conditions must be met before Blue Board entries can be made.
Entries concerning willingness to work again with given outsourcers are allowed only when (1) commissioned work has been completed in full and delivered on time, and (2) there have not been complaints related to quality shortly after delivery. Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned interactions.

Best regards,
Ralf

And I have replied to your e mail sent in private. I have explained above almost the complete story. I delivered the job in time, as per specifications and no
quality issues were raised by the outsourcer "shortly after
delivery." He raised the said technical error after nearly two months(and didn't say anything about any loss to his agency). Now he ignores all my e mails for payment and doen't have anything to say and on being reminded 5-6 times, sends me a job offer!! When I ask him about previous payment he posts this offer on proz.com!!! He doesn't bother to send me any clarification.

Regards,

Pundora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency not paying long dues, instead offered another job.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »