Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 11, 2007

I noticed Adobe charges for Acrobat 8 Professional 450 USD in the US, but 650 EUR (!!) in Europe. How is that possible, when one Euro is almost 1,50 Dollar?
I wonder if it is possible to buy this and other products for a decent price and if the US version would be compatible with European special characters etc.

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:10
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Hopefully I'm not deviating from your intended subject too much, but... Nov 11, 2007

is there a specific reason why you want Acrobat 8 Professional? Most of its features can be replaced with other software, it's an excessively (and I really mean excessively) large program, it's a resource hog, etc. I don't think I have enough bad things to say about it, and I speak from experience because I own a copy! I would personally recommend asking for a substitute(s), but that, of course, is up to you!

On a different note, I'm sorry about the price difference...it seems to be a common thing with technology, since the Sony Playstation 3 is priced in pretty much the same way.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:10
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at eBay Nov 11, 2007

There are a lot of serious dealers, selling legal software a lot cheaper then elswhere.
OTOH I would simply buy in the US - the only "disadvantage" you have is to pay VAT when the program arrives here in the EU and to use English as interface language.

Jerzy

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another possiblility - educational software Nov 11, 2007

If you teach, study, or have children who study at a regular school, you might be eligible for buying discounted educational software.

AFAIK the package itself is absolutely identical to the normal stuff. Just one more sticker on the outside

Check your eligibility here:
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/eligibility.html

If you comply with their requirements, Acrobat 8 Pro, Academic Version, is sold there for USD 150: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=763372

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Upgrade limitation Nov 11, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
If you teach, study, or have children who study at a regular school, you might be eligible for buying discounted educational software.

AFAIK the package itself is absolutely identical to the normal stuff. Just one more sticker on the outside

However, before buying an educational version please check whether there is an upgrade limitation. I know that some software vendors put limitations on educational software versions, especially if they are much cheaper than their non-educational counterparts. You then have to buy a 'normal' copy of the new software version, and then you may no longer be eligible for the educational version. Just a thought...

Sonja

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Educational software is not for business purposes Nov 11, 2007

Should you buy an educational software and use it for your business in any way, you breach the license. I'm not sure if this is worth some few Euros.
The cheapest way to buy commercial software is IMHO using manufacturers or other promotions or buying an older unregistered (deregistered) version, registering it with you and buying an upgrade. For example you can now get InDesign CS3 stand-alone application for roghly 400 Euro, if you buy Pagemaker and an upgrade Pagemaker -> InDesign.

Jerzy

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:10
English to German
+ ...
Try amazon.com Nov 11, 2007

Or amazon.de

413 Euro for Acrobat 8, German version (Windows XP)

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
New rules? Nov 11, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Should you buy an educational software and use it for your business in any way, you breach the license. I'm not sure if this is worth some few Euros.
The cheapest way to buy commercial software is IMHO using manufacturers or other promotions or buying an older unregistered (deregistered) version, registering it with you and buying an upgrade. For example you can now get InDesign CS3 stand-alone application for roghly 400 Euro, if you buy Pagemaker and an upgrade Pagemaker -> InDesign.
Jerzy

I bought PageMaker educational long ago, when v4 was launched, many years ago. At that time, I compared it with a standard retail version from a friend, and the only difference throughout was an additional sticker on the external shrink wrap. Even the license agreement was exactly identical. I successively upgraded (at full upgrade price) several times after that.

Maybe they changed the rules ever since.

[Edited at 2007-11-11 22:02]

[Edited at 2007-11-11 22:04]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I never knew other rules, since I'm in business (started 1990) Nov 12, 2007

Just check this license agreement:

You may use and modify this software for any non-commercial purpose. Teaching, academic research, and personal experimentation are examples of purposes which can be non-commercial.

This is what Microsoft says. I was not able to find such a clear statement regarding Adobe products, but this is something I would strongly assume. For educational purposes does not include paid work (commercial use). Also a lot of free software is limited to non-commercial use. Why should paid (ie commercial) software be other?

Regards
Jerzy

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Commercial use for educational software Nov 12, 2007

I never bothered much about educational software, only bought two of these in my life, both from Adobe, and a long time ago.

I thought the idea (and marketing has a lot of crazy ones) was based on the belief that people and institutions involved in formal education play a heavy role in setting trends.

I saw one such example when I was studying mechanical engineering. One manufacturer gave every student visiting their plant a quite expensive technical manual. Their (very effective) strategy led to every engineer afterwards defaulting to their products upon specifying. Competition had to provide equivalency tables to get a chance.

Anyway, later I spent more in successive upgrades than the original price of the software, so whatever their strategy was, if they thrive on customer loyalty, it worked!

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Same question, stated differently Nov 12, 2007

Straying OT, my dear Colleagues!

Is there any law which prevents me from purchasing a download version of software from a manufacturer's website and paying for it by credit card, which will be charged in dollars according to the current, oh so favourable exchange rate?

Does VAT still apply?

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2007-11-12 11:39]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I have downloaded several programs and did not have to pay VAT on that Nov 12, 2007

There is no law prohibiting this - I would say it is quite the opposite. It is fully legal, as you pay for the software and get it via download. When I stated my VAT ID no VAT was then charged, so I assume this is OK so.

Jerzy

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Supplementary Question Nov 12, 2007

Thanks, Jerzy.

Does anyone know of a global software company which will not allow you to buy their software from e.g. their US website, redirecting you to a European website if your IP is in Europe?

I have only bought one software from a US company by download, but they are not global, so I had no choice, but to pay in USD.

P.A.S.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Quark Nov 12, 2007

This is the first example I can find.
I think Adobe will be similar.
But I would go and buy Adobe boxed at www.newegg.com or www.ecost.com or via www.ebay.com or any other page in the US, let it be delivered to any friend overseas and ask her/him to send the CD with licence number to me via registered post. This should work in any case. And this will not breach any licenses I know - because I have never seen a license limiting me to use the software within the country I bought it. In fact this way I have already bought some software and was afterwards able to upgrade.

Jerzy

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Go for the localized version! Nov 12, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I noticed Adobe charges for Acrobat 8 Professional 450 USD in the US, but 650 EUR (!!) in Europe. How is that possible, when one Euro is almost 1,50 Dollar?
I wonder if it is possible to buy this and other products for a decent price and if the US version would be compatible with European special characters etc.

Regards
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich and all,

I strongly encourage you to go for the localized version of Acrobat, even if it's more expensive.

To a certain extent they are compatible, since they display special chars of all alphabets. But there are certain annoyances with the EN version, that are hard to tweak away.

For instance, there is a setting called "ignore diacriticts" that is enabled by default.
When I open a PDF in Acrobat EN, and search for "har", the result list also contains "här", "hår" etc.

And if I disable this setting, so that diacritics are respected, the search distinguishes betweek cafe/café, Hélène/Helene etc, which is equally annoying.

I also believe that the sorting algorithm in Acro EN mis-handles special chars. After all, A/Ä/Å is sorted in a different way in virtuallly each language, and there's no way for Acro EN to guess which. But at least the localized version follows the master language defaults.

There are other examples, these are just some from the top of my head.

Your smartest bet would usually be to pick up an old EN license on Ebay, and use it as a springboard to upgrade to a German/Finnish Acro 8, at a much lower cost!

Look out for upgrade campaigns, with good timing you can really get a bargain. When Photoshop CS2 was launched, you could even upgrade from Photoshop 1.0 at a fixed price for a limited time!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to shop for Adobe products

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search