translation+proofreading rate as opposed to translation and proofreading rates
Thread poster: Klaudia Kowalewska
Klaudia Kowalewska  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:48
English to Polish
Nov 15, 2007

Hi,
can anyone help me understand what it means when an agency wants rates for translation, proofreading, and then one for translation+proofreading?
Thanks

[Edited at 2007-11-15 20:24]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-16 07:35]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:48
English to French
+ ...
Sounds like they are asking for a rebate Nov 15, 2007

I would be cautious with this - it sounds like they are expecting you to charge less when the two services are combined than if you did them separately. In my opinion, this is nowhere near a good business practice. If you perform both services, then you should be paid for both services. It is not because you combine both services that it will take you less time to perform them than it would have taken you if you performed them separately on two separate documents and on two separate occasions. In the end, you basically work for an hourly rate, so if a task takes 50% more time, you should be paid 50% more money for it.

I would be slighlty diplomatic and would quote as follows:
Translation rate: $X
Proofreading rate: $Y
Translation+proofreading: $X+$Y

All the best!

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
German to English
+ ...
proofreading + proofreading as opposed to proofreading + proofreading Nov 15, 2007

First of all, you must ask your customer what they mean by "proofreading". Ask five different people and you are likely to get seven different answers.

Marc

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask Nov 15, 2007

Ask the agency if you want the answer, they are the only ones who can provide it.

I would assume that when you translate something, you also proof it then turn it in ready to go. Therefore, there would only be one price which would be for the final product.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I can get a proof-reader to do it Nov 15, 2007

so I charge X for myself and Y for the subcontractor. It makes sense - eliminates the unnecessary search on the side of the agency.

Of course, it has TRUST written all over it.

smo

Marlene Curtis  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation + Proofreading Nov 15, 2007

A good translator, to my view, always proofreads his/her jobs before turning them in.

However, some customers request a second pair of eyes, or a second opinion, and, in such cases, the proofreader should be someone else, other than the translator himself/herself.

I think you should charge a fixed translation/proofreading fee and emphasize the fact that all your jobs are always proofread before delivery to the customer.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It usually means proofreading your own translation thoroughly Nov 15, 2007

A particular agency who always sends me a P.O. with separate boxes ticked on it for "translation" and "proofreading" actually only wants me to hand in good quality translations, thoroughly proofread.

This is how I therefore understand your client's request. You should ask them if this is what they mean. If all they mean by it is "Please quote your price for a very carefully done translation", then you simply specify a price at the upper end of the scale that you charge.

Astrid

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I understand Nov 16, 2007

a project in which you are asked to translate (the proofreading is part of internal quality control, as Henry says), and then asked to revise a file that a partner in a team has done. I invoice each item separately (words and revision hours).

I don't find it advisable to ask a person to revise his own work. At least two pairs of eyes work better than one.

Moreover, if it is a long file that has been split, revision done in this way ensures that each translator has read and understood the entire file.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
My calculation Nov 16, 2007

Assuming that two persons are involved, a main contractor who also is the translator and a subcontractor who acts as proofreader, I would, if I was the main contractor, base my quotation on the following calculation:

My translation rate (please see http://www.svenp.com/fees.htm) + The proofreader’s rate + Normal agency markup on the proofreaders’s rate

Translation+proofreeding rate = .15 + .05 + 0.5*.05 = .225 euro per source word

Sven Petersson
Medical translator
Web site: www.svenp.com

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:48
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
personal experience Nov 16, 2007

Agency offered me the rate of 0.25$ per word which included translation and editing of the text. When I failed to provide a proofreader/editor they - after getting my consent - found the proofreader/editor and split the payment as 0.19$/word - translation and 0.06$/word - editing.

So in your case I read it as they are asking for 'translation+proofreading' rates with understanding that you provide your dedicated proofreader/editor.

Thanks,
V.

Klaudia Kowalewska wrote:

Hi,
can anyone help me understand what it means when an agency wants rates for translation, proofreading, and then one for translation+proofreading?
Thanks

[Edited at 2007-11-15 20:24]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-16 07:35]

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Easy for the agency Nov 16, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

so I charge X for myself and Y for the subcontractor. It makes sense - eliminates the unnecessary search on the side of the agency.

Especially in cases of exotic (or not-so-exotic) language pairs.

There is an increasing tendency of agencies to let the independent translators do a part of the job management.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Yup, I noticed too Nov 25, 2007

NMR wrote:
There is an increasing tendency of agencies to let the independent translators do a part of the job management.

My question then is just what do they take their profit for? I mean, if I am managing + translating + proofing their project, shouldn't all the money go directly to me? I think I'm starting another thread...

disatexsl
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
i agree with viktoria.. but... Nov 26, 2007

i agree with viktoria.. but... you shouldnt forget that the most difficult step (so then, the most valuable) is to find the client and to get the job.

Anyone of you can translate and give a perfect quality. in most cases a proofread is not necessary. I manage an agency and i have been working with the same freelances for a long time, so I rely on them and I know they give me high quality.

But, a lot of freelances (and agencys, of course) do not give a high quality service (double spaces between words, mistakes, bad translations, errores... etc) so a proofread is necessary.

The question is, can a proffesional of translation give a text (final text for him) to an agency so badly that it is necessary to proofread it?? when i go to a Café and I ask for a tea what I expect is a welldone tea, I dont want anyone to proofdrink my tea to make sure its well done...

there are a lot of "chapuzas" in this world.. unfortunatelly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation+proofreading rate as opposed to translation and proofreading rates

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search