Thread poster: Annelise Meyer

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:41
English to French
+ ...
Nov 23, 2007

Hello everybody,

I see quite a lot of messages on debt collection agencies and I am thinking myself of hiring one. The thing is the "bad payer" in this instance is not in my country, so I got in touch with an international agency. Like most of them (or so it seems), they won't take anything if they don't get back the money in the end (well except for an "administrative fee" of 60 euros).
However, should they get the money back, then they would be entitled to get 25% of the total sum. Now here is my question: for those of you who already used such an agency, did you pay that much !??
Given the sum my client owes me, I might go for it, but still this percentage seems quite high. Or am I the one being naive here?

Thanks for any feedback!

Annelise

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:41
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I got zilch/nichevo/zero/nothing Nov 24, 2007

However, should they get the money back, then they would be entitled to get 25% of the total sum....

It's much the same thing as - sorry, US colleagues - how much 1$ of a subprime mortgage is worth at the moment? 30 cents? Nothing? Is there a market for it anyhow, to set the prices?

I got nothing in the few cases it happened to me. I chalked it up as an education fee.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 19:41
Turkish to English
+ ...
Going rate Nov 24, 2007

Annelise Meyer wrote:

Hello everybody,

I see quite a lot of messages on debt collection agencies and I am thinking myself of hiring one. The thing is the "bad payer" in this instance is not in my country, so I got in touch with an international agency. Like most of them (or so it seems), they won't take anything if they don't get back the money in the end (well except for an "administrative fee" of 60 euros).
However, should they get the money back, then they would be entitled to get 25% of the total sum. Now here is my question: for those of you who already used such an agency, did you pay that much !??
Given the sum my client owes me, I might go for it, but still this percentage seems quite high. Or am I the one being naive here?

Thanks for any feedback!

Annelise

I think this is the going rate. As a last resort, 75% is better than 0%!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection agencies'rates

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search