Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Anyone Cannot Withdraw Money from MB Because of the Anti-money Laundering Regulation?
Thread poster: emily2k

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Mikhail Dec 27, 2007

Sorry for this.
You have the problem with post.
Not the worst problem at least, which could happen.

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sorry to hijack the thread Dec 27, 2007

You're right, Sergei. I'm very sorry, my problem isn't quite the same as the thread starter's.

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:26
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
'First' is misleading Dec 27, 2007

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

emily2k wrote:
... we can process your FIRST redemption request."

It seems to me that Emily could not withdraw a big amount.
But "test" amount withdrawal of small sum for verification purposes will be successful.

'First' is misleading, intentionally or not. 'First redemption request' also appeared in my message even though my redemption/withdrawal request was anything BUT first.

What I think they mean is 'first redemption request under the new regulation', but they must have had a character count limit or what.

BTW, it doesn't take a genius to predict that introducing a new verification requirement in the busy pre-Christmas season without any earlier notice will make existing MB users f*^%ing mad (please excuse my vulgarity but I still can't think of it without grabbing an axe). But it turns out it would have taken somebody too brainy for MB's limited human resources to set up a mass mailing effort that communicated the new regulation to all users who had made a transaction (in the past 3/6/12 months/no time limit) that would have fallen under the new regulation. A 2-4 weeks' notice would be fine with me. Something obvious to me, but still apparently beyond MB's reach.

I would kick them a big one in their backside, but they are the cheapest payment option to me, so I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet.

M

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Xoom Dec 27, 2007

Several Polish Prozians in this thread. Pozdrowienie!

http://www.xoom.com solved my problem of getting money from PayPal to my local bank account in Brazil, otherwise impossible by either legal or normal (i.e. not triangling by someone else) means.

Xoom serves some 30 countries (a drop-down list of them is available on their main page), including Polska - my parents' birthplace, that's why
... See more
Several Polish Prozians in this thread. Pozdrowienie!

http://www.xoom.com solved my problem of getting money from PayPal to my local bank account in Brazil, otherwise impossible by either legal or normal (i.e. not triangling by someone else) means.

Xoom serves some 30 countries (a drop-down list of them is available on their main page), including Polska - my parents' birthplace, that's why I noticed.

You can send money from PayPal via Xoom to any bank account in these countries. In Brazil, it turns into a cash credit (local currency) within 24 hours.

I only suggest you don't ask clients to pay you directly via Xoom. It requires a lot of bank info, and one mistyped digit may jam the process at an unknown stage. If you control both ends - sender & receiver - you can become aware and fix it yourself. Otherwise, the sender will have to troubleshoot it.
Collapse

Speranza  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Problems here as well Dec 27, 2007

I used to keep small sums of money on my MB account and it worked all right, but recently the total exceeded a certain amount, and they simply blocked the account banning all outgoing transactions and sent me a notification saying they required identity proof. So now they want a scanned page of my international passport to check my name (what if I don't have an international passport? what if my name has changed since the day I signed up for MB?) and utility bills with my name on them as proof o... See more
I used to keep small sums of money on my MB account and it worked all right, but recently the total exceeded a certain amount, and they simply blocked the account banning all outgoing transactions and sent me a notification saying they required identity proof. So now they want a scanned page of my international passport to check my name (what if I don't have an international passport? what if my name has changed since the day I signed up for MB?) and utility bills with my name on them as proof of address (cool, considering that I don't own the apartment where I live and therefore my name does not appear on any bills).

In addition, when I tried to supply my foreign bank account details, the system informed me that "your first bank account must be in your country of residence". I asked their support department about legal justification for this requirement, but they ignored the question.

In brief, my money is now stuck, with no legal grounds, in MB guys' pockets, and it does not look like it will be very easy to get it back.
Collapse

emily2k
Local time: 20:26
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 28, 2007

To: Angio
I can not send neither withdraw money from my moneybookers account because of their Anti-money Laundering Regulation.
Thank you for your help. I gave them a complaint email to them last night. But this must be in a looooooooong queue.

The fee I withdraw from Paypal to my bank account in China is USD35, but about USD2.5 from MB. It’s quite different.

To: Maciek Drobka
I verified my home address a month ago so that I can withdraw
... See more
To: Angio
I can not send neither withdraw money from my moneybookers account because of their Anti-money Laundering Regulation.
Thank you for your help. I gave them a complaint email to them last night. But this must be in a looooooooong queue.

The fee I withdraw from Paypal to my bank account in China is USD35, but about USD2.5 from MB. It’s quite different.

To: Maciek Drobka
I verified my home address a month ago so that I can withdraw money to my bank account. And then I withdraw a few times from MB account. But suddenly this time they don’t let me withdraw because the Anti-money Laundering Regulation.

To: Laura Gentili
Usually I get money from MB to my bank account in about 6 days, however from PP is about 8 days.

To: Magda Dziadosz
After I choose the option 2, the page doesn’t refresh and the account balance remains the same.

On the other hand, I called the customer service of my bank and got the answer is they will not give any bank statement to their saving account users saying nothing of the verification code.

To:Mikhail Kropotov
Delay yours.
Refuse mine.
Wuhu..

To:Sergei Tumanov
I tried. Neither big nor small sum is failed. But thank you for your kindly help.

To: Nadejda Sokolova
I will try to contact them if I can be verified by sending them copy of my passport.
Collapse

TechLawDC  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Moneybookers does not answer its telephone during working hours, and does not provide instructions. Jan 1, 2008

Moneybookers does not answer its telephone during working hours, and does not provide instructions on how to use the "verification code".
They asked me to withdraw USD 20.00 (for which they charged USD 2.58).
They said they would supply a "verification code" in the "reference field 0430" of the wire memo of the bank wire (virement bancaire) by which they sent the USD 20.00.
Instead of using a wire, they used an ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfer. My bank said that the unc
... See more
Moneybookers does not answer its telephone during working hours, and does not provide instructions on how to use the "verification code".
They said they would supply a "verification code" in the "reference field 0430" of the wire memo of the bank wire (virement bancaire) by which they sent the USD 20.00.
Instead of using a wire, they used an ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfer. My bank said that the unconventional annotation they put on the transfer was apparently the "verification code".
However, the Moneybookers website contains no instruction on how to use the "verification code" (if it is indeed the code).
By a process of trial and error, I am now going to try to withdraw the rest of my USD 1300.00 and find out if I am prompted to use the "verification code".
I will report back to this Forum.
Jan 01, 2008, 10:36 hours GMT.

Needless to say, the "code" did not work. I got the message "invalid code", even by using various permutations and truncations of the characters in the supposed "verification code".
Even though PayPal charges many people such as myself 2.6-3.8%,
I have now spent a large amount of my time (at least 4.5 hours) trying to get Moneybookers
to pay.
Also, bear in mind that these are non-bank banks, with virtually no insurance and no legal requirement not to commingle funds. Paypal has a wealthy parent, Ebay, which would probably be forced to pay if something happened to Paypal. Moneybookers has nothing.
Jan 01, 2008, 10:46 hours GMT.

After further research, I learn the following:
-- The "verification code" is a 6-character alphanumeric code. Therefore if you receive something which you think is the "verification code" and it does not have that syntax, it will probably be found "invalid" by Moneybookers.
-- Moneybookers gives another method of verification which is instant, namely by credit card. I tried this and it seemed to work. Of course, if Moneybookers.com are crooks, they can still do much damage. Therefore it would be smart to maintain a low-limit credit card (even a cash deposit credit card of, e.g., USD 500) to be safe in situations like this, or in any situation in which a party requires you to enter credit card information online rather than issuing you a company-specific code and collecting your credit card information by voice telephone or fax, by means of your telephone call to them.
Jan 01, 2008 13:09 hours GMT.

[Edited at 2008-01-01 13:09]
Collapse

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
not weeks, but months Jan 5, 2008

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Why weeks?

I used to wait about 4-5 days before money arrive at my bank account. But this is normal. One of my italian customers told me the other day the payment was made to me on 11th of December, and still no funds here through a normal banking channel . So the MB is much better organisation.

Once I tried to withdraw funds to my credit card. It took four weeks. That was my last attempt to use this way of withdrawal.

What has exactly changed recently? Perhaps I´ve missed something?

By the way I have been verified recently by regular mail (I have been verified three times in total). The letter from UK to Estonia proceeded 15 days. After this procedure they even increased my credit limit.

[Edited at 2007-12-27 15:04]

Dear Sergey,

I have the same problem. Have MB for 3 years (if not more) - used to send money, to withdraw money, to get money, verified my ID when creating the account (and even the profile data is THE SAME all the time). And several weeks ago I wanted to withdraw a small amount to my bank account (like I usually did), and BINGO - now I need to wait for a week to a snail mail letter with a code...No one has ever from MB informed me about that. And even if I used to withdraw my money to my bank account, could I do that if I had something incorrect with my personal bank account (why should I verify again and without any prior notice that my verified bank account exists)? All in all, I ordered that letter with the code. I did it in the middle of November of 2007. Now it is January 2008 and have not received ANY letter yet. Tried to "order" another one - not allowed as that was the one and the only letter and if I do not get it, I cannot get my money from there.

TechLawDC  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Update -- (bad news) they accept credit card "verification" only for first large withdrawal. Jan 7, 2008

Update Jan 07, 2008 -- (bad news) they accept credit card "verification" only for first large withdrawal.
... See more
Update Jan 07, 2008 -- (bad news) they accept credit card "verification" only for first large withdrawal.
Instead of using a wire, they used an ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfer. My bank said that the unconventional annotation they put on the transfer was apparently the "verification code".
However, the Moneybookers website contains no instruction on how to use the "verification code" (if it is indeed the code).
By a process of trial and error, I am now going to try to withdraw the rest of my USD 1300.00 and find out if I am prompted to use the "verification code".
I will report back to this Forum.
Jan 01, 2008, 10:36 hours GMT.

Needless to say, the "code" did not work. I got the message "invalid code", even by using various permutations and truncations of the characters in the supposed "verification code".
Even though PayPal charges many people such as myself 2.6-3.8%,
I have now spent a large amount of my time (at least 4.5 hours) trying to get Moneybookers
to pay.
Also, bear in mind that these are non-bank banks, with virtually no insurance and no legal requirement not to commingle funds. Paypal has a wealthy parent, Ebay, which would probably be forced to pay if something happened to Paypal. Moneybookers has nothing.
Jan 01, 2008, 10:46 hours GMT.

After further research, I learn the following:
-- The "verification code" is a 6-character alphanumeric code. Therefore if you receive something which you think is the "verification code" and it does not have that syntax, it will probably be found "invalid" by Moneybookers.
-- Moneybookers gives another method of verification which is instant, namely by credit card. I tried this and it seemed to work. Of course, if Moneybookers.com are crooks, they can still do much damage. Therefore it would be smart to maintain a low-limit credit card (even a cash deposit credit card of, e.g., USD 500) to be safe in situations like this, or in any situation in which a party requires you to enter credit card information online rather than issuing you a company-specific code and collecting your credit card information by voice telephone or fax, by means of your telephone call to them.
Jan 01, 2008 13:09 hours GMT.

[Edited at 2008-01-01 13:09]
-- Moneybookers finally replied to my urgent e-mail and said they were sorry that Account Verification had "failed". (My criticism is that they knew ahead of time that they had not sent a properly syntaxed "verification code".) They gave an alternate procedure for account verification, by sending them an image of my bank statement showing the token USD 20.00 transfer.
-- They now say my address must be verified as well, with another "verification code" which I will receive by snail mail. HOWEVER, they fail to instruct me on how to use the address verification code! (Maybe the instructions will be in the letter. I will report further.)
Jan 07, 2008 05:43 hours GMT
Collapse

emily2k
Local time: 20:26
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally I got my money! Jan 13, 2008

Finally I got my money!

I'd like to report the process so that people encounter this problem possibly can solve.

I said I complained by email to MB last post. Then a MB clerk replies me and asks me to sent copy of my passport and letter to prove my address via MB website. I did it at once. The day after I sent the information I get another email from MB told me that my name was verified. Then, I tried to withdraw my money. Last week I received the money at my bank
... See more
Finally I got my money!

I'd like to report the process so that people encounter this problem possibly can solve.

I said I complained by email to MB last post. Then a MB clerk replies me and asks me to sent copy of my passport and letter to prove my address via MB website. I did it at once. The day after I sent the information I get another email from MB told me that my name was verified. Then, I tried to withdraw my money. Last week I received the money at my bank account.
Collapse

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 00:26
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Address Verification Issue Jan 17, 2008

MariusV wrote:

Dear Sergey,

I have the same problem. Have MB for 3 years (if not more) - used to send money, to withdraw money, to get money, verified my ID when creating the account (and even the profile data is THE SAME all the time). And several weeks ago I wanted to withdraw a small amount to my bank account (like I usually did), and BINGO - now I need to wait for a week to a snail mail letter with a code...No one has ever from MB informed me about that. And even if I used to withdraw my money to my bank account, could I do that if I had something incorrect with my personal bank account (why should I verify again and without any prior notice that my verified bank account exists)? All in all, I ordered that letter with the code. I did it in the middle of November of 2007. Now it is January 2008 and have not received ANY letter yet. Tried to "order" another one - not allowed as that was the one and the only letter and if I do not get it, I cannot get my money from there.

My problem is extremely similar. I have about NZ$820 in my Moneybookers account. Previously, with a verified bank account and credit card, I had been able to withdraw funds from my Moneybookers account to my bank account. This is no longer the case. Now it seems I have to verify my address. I applied for address verification on 20 December 2007. Four weeks later, it has not arrived. And of course, there's no way of being able to apply for another one. I am not a happy camper. I've never liked Moneybookers, but this has put me off it permanently. I think it's absolutely appalling that they can block people from being able to access their money in this way.

I also wonder whether the notifications are even sent at all. The messages saying when a notification is sent look decidedly automated.

Surely there ought to be some way of making Moneybookers accountable for this disgraceful state of affairs? I can't believe that their actions are entirely legal. Is there some government body in Britain where one can lay a complaint about them? Maybe we should band together and lay a joint complaint.

But after this experience, there is no way I'm ever using Moneybookers again. PayPal has never given me this kind of grief, so I'm just going to stick with them!

At least there are other people in the same boat. But we've got to try and do something about this. What Moneybookers is doing is simply not right.

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
same problem - but solved Jan 17, 2008

After I wrote in this thread, I logged on to Monebookers to withdraw some money, and what do you know, I was asked to verify my ID!
I tried to do it by credit card; they charged me a fee of about $2.50 and I was able to withdraw the money. A couple of days later I tried to make another withdrawal, and again I was asked to verify my ID. Once again I verified it by credit card and they charged me another fee. I wrote them an e-mail asking if I'd have to pay a fee every single time I want to
... See more
After I wrote in this thread, I logged on to Monebookers to withdraw some money, and what do you know, I was asked to verify my ID!
I tried to do it by credit card; they charged me a fee of about $2.50 and I was able to withdraw the money. A couple of days later I tried to make another withdrawal, and again I was asked to verify my ID. Once again I verified it by credit card and they charged me another fee. I wrote them an e-mail asking if I'd have to pay a fee every single time I want to withdraw money.
They replied the following day and explained that verification by credit card is indeed temporary, it applies to a single withdrawal at a time. I would either have to fax them a copy of a utility bill and my bank statement showing the last MB withdrawal, or have them mail me the verification code. I chose the latter.
The letter arrived 4 days later (from the UK to the US; I thought that was quick).
I entered the code on the website and my ID was verified once and for all.

There was one more page in the letter that showed another code: that was for confirming receipt of their letter. They ask you to log on to another website, received-it.com, and enter that code so that they know you got the letter. I think one or two people in this thread said the MB verification code doesn't work; would you by any chance have used the return-receipt code instead of the verification code on the MB website? Or maybe they did send out incorrect verification codes in the beginning, and later on figured it out, so I was lucky enough to get a code that worked.

Maria
Collapse

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 00:26
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Moneybookers ... and money doesn't go anywhere Jan 18, 2008

Well, I'm glad you got so lucky Maria, but I'm no closer to getting the money in my MB account to where it's really needed - my bank account.

Moneybookers' slogan is "... and money moves". What a joke that is right now.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The same here Jan 23, 2008

Can repeat what Marius said word for word. I also use Moneybookers for years (In times when I registered there years ago I was asked even to fax my passport and what else). I have always withdrawn the money to my bank account which couldn't exist hadn't my details been verified by the bank).

Now I'm too am waiting for that verification code by snail mail.

And no, withdrawal amount has nothing to do with it- I can't withdraw any amount (in fact I can't get past that ver
... See more
Can repeat what Marius said word for word. I also use Moneybookers for years (In times when I registered there years ago I was asked even to fax my passport and what else). I have always withdrawn the money to my bank account which couldn't exist hadn't my details been verified by the bank).

Now I'm too am waiting for that verification code by snail mail.

And no, withdrawal amount has nothing to do with it- I can't withdraw any amount (in fact I can't get past that verification page).

Uldis

MariusV wrote:
I have the same problem. Have MB for 3 years (if not more) - used to send money, to withdraw money, to get money, verified my ID when creating the account (and even the profile data is THE SAME all the time). And several weeks ago I wanted to withdraw a small amount to my bank account (like I usually did), and BINGO - now I need to wait for a week to a snail mail letter with a code...
Collapse

Jeannette Lakèl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Is there a method in their madness? Jan 27, 2008

I wonder whether the anti-money-laundering-thing applies to all countries? Or whether some of you posters were just luckier than others (and other hard-working and annoyed customers).

Anyway, they seem to be a complete mess, like many call center operated/assisted companies. I further suspect them to be in financial trouble (it was mentioned they have no serious back-up bank or company) which might lead them to block money in order to be able to work with it.

No compan
... See more
I wonder whether the anti-money-laundering-thing applies to all countries? Or whether some of you posters were just luckier than others (and other hard-working and annoyed customers).

Anyway, they seem to be a complete mess, like many call center operated/assisted companies. I further suspect them to be in financial trouble (it was mentioned they have no serious back-up bank or company) which might lead them to block money in order to be able to work with it.

No company in the world should get away with treating paying customers like that (neither by sheer negligence nor deliberately). Phone companies - a similar story here in Germany...

I heartily agree:

MariusV wrote:

Surely there ought to be some way of making Moneybookers accountable for this disgraceful state of affairs? I can't believe that their actions are entirely legal. Is there some government body in Britain where one can lay a complaint about them? Maybe we should band together and lay a joint complaint.

But after this experience, there is no way I'm ever using Moneybookers again. PayPal has never given me this kind of grief, so I'm just going to stick with them!

At least there are other people in the same boat. But we've got to try and do something about this. What Moneybookers is doing is simply not right.

My experience is quite little: registered in November 07, verified credit card, did a small transaction for an ebay purchase (from Hongkong), no problem. But I neither verified home address nor bank account.

Now I do not dare log in on MB :-/

Anyone here willing to check options to take legal steps?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone Cannot Withdraw Money from MB Because of the Anti-money Laundering Regulation?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search