How much would charge to translate a 350 pages book?
Thread poster: rena08
rena08
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
English to French
Jan 7, 2008

I have never translated a book before and I have no idea how much I should charge.
Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How long is a piece of string? Jan 7, 2008

Hi Rena,
This question is impossible to answer - to get an idea yourself, here are a few items to consider:

- format of the text (will you have to scan the text before translating?);
- average amount of words per page;
- subject matter and complexity;
- timeframe.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxx1279
Local time: 15:13
my method Jan 7, 2008

Here's how I come up with a quote for book translations:

-Ask for a sample of at least a few pages from the book.
-Estimate the number of pages you will be able to do in one day of work.
-Use this number to figure out the total amount of working days the translation will take you. (Be sure to also add in time for proofreading and doing revisions requested by the client.)
-Multiply the total number of days for the project by the amount of money you need to earn per day. This is your grand total. Quote it fearlessly.

Good luck!

By the way, I've noticed that some potential clients have no idea what translation costs when they ask for a quote on a book translation. Sometimes they will be shocked at the price you quote (or at least pretend to be!) If you've figured the price as described above, you will be confident that your price is realistic and less likely to be intimidated into lowering your quote. Always keep in mind how much money you need to earn for your family to be able to eat and pay its bills!

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:13
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do the same, Jan 7, 2008

Clare Corado wrote:

-Multiply the total number of days for the project by the amount of money you need to earn per day. This is your grand total. Quote it fearlessly.

Good luck!

By the way, I've noticed that some potential clients have no idea what translation costs when they ask for a quote on a book translation. Sometimes they will be shocked at the price you quote (or at least pretend to be!) If you've figured the price as described above, you will be confident that your price is realistic and less likely to be intimidated into lowering your quote.

and I second the sentiment- don't lower your price more than is realistic. It's tempting to say "this is a long project so I can give them a break", but you don't want to find yourself tied to a project (no matter how interesting) which makes you think "I better grab another couple of small jobs to make up the difference this month".

Virginie Lochou  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Are you giving a quote to a French publisher? Jan 8, 2008

Hello Rena,

If you plan on working with a French publisher, the ATLF website indicates average prices per "feuillet". The numbers are from 2004 but they should give you an estimate of what to ask: http://www.atlf.org/sommaire.html (and click on "rémunération 2004").

You will find many more useful information on their website.

Good luck!

lingomania
Local time: 05:13
Italian to English
I over-charged once Jan 9, 2008

rena08 wrote:

I have never translated a book before and I have no idea how much I should charge.
Any ideas?

One of my first assignments was summarizing a 350 page book, but judging from the assignor's face when I gave him the bill, I must've over-charged!! Be careful and calculate well before doing the job and presenting the bill.

Rob

[Edited at 2008-01-09 00:25]

[Edited at 2008-01-09 00:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much would charge to translate a 350 pages book?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search