Thread poster: Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:49
French to English
Jan 25, 2008

Hi,

A quick warning to all: I just received an e-mail from [email protected] stating that I had received USD147 on my account. A link was supplied to accept the money.

I am not expecting any USD, so I was straight away suspicious.
The link directs you to a page other than the official Moneybookers login page. (The official page address starts with https and at the bottom of your screen you should
... See more
Hi,

A quick warning to all: I just received an e-mail from [email protected] stating that I had received USD147 on my account. A link was supplied to accept the money.

I am not expecting any USD, so I was straight away suspicious.
The link directs you to a page other than the official Moneybookers login page. (The official page address starts with https and at the bottom of your screen you should see a padlock)

Also, no matter how many times you go back to the page, the turing number doesn't change and the flags at the top of the page don't fully load.

I suspect it is a scam to grab people's logins and passwords, so please do be careful.

When I logged in to my real Moneybookers account, of course there were no USD in sight

[Edited at 2008-01-27 00:51]
Collapse

Papillonbleu9
Papillonbleu9  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
English to French
Merci! Jan 25, 2008

Thank you Natasha, very much appreciated as I am waiting for like 3 outsourcers to pay (already 2 weeks late:) and they still won't say if it's through Moneybookers or Paypal.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Also with Paypal Jan 25, 2008

Yes, a scam.

I have received the same message but with the name PayPal.

I check and control my Paypal account on a weekly basis and know what I expect to receive or send and therefore knew immediately that it was a scam.

Also I don't reply (and I recommend this) directly to an e-mail when money or personal information are involved. If I have any questions, I will go on the internet and directly on to the URL. I also recommend that you don't downlo
... See more
Yes, a scam.

I have received the same message but with the name PayPal.

I check and control my Paypal account on a weekly basis and know what I expect to receive or send and therefore knew immediately that it was a scam.

Also I don't reply (and I recommend this) directly to an e-mail when money or personal information are involved. If I have any questions, I will go on the internet and directly on to the URL. I also recommend that you don't download any attachments from any "suspicious" or unknown source.

suz
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Common scam Jan 25, 2008

I frequently get such messages. One of the giveaways is that I don't have an account in the place in question. (The Italian Post Office, for example, ostensibly seems to like paying me money. If their messages are to be believed, I can pay for my next trip to Italy with the money they've paid me.) Blangsted's advice about going directly to the URL you know about and not clicking on links in e-mail is very good.

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just got it Jan 25, 2008

Yeap!
Fortunately I was rather reluctant to click on the link and this saved my neck (or my computer, I guess).

Veronika

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Same here Jan 25, 2008

Paul Merriam wrote:

I frequently get such messages. One of the giveaways is that I don't have an account in the place in question. (The Italian Post Office, for example, ostensibly seems to like paying me money. If their messages are to be believed, I can pay for my next trip to Italy with the money they've paid me.) Blangsted's advice about going directly to the URL you know about and not clicking on links in e-mail is very good.

I often get messages ostensibly from NatWest Bank and Royal Bank of Scotland (where I don't have an account) asking me to confirm my account details. Needless to say, I just delete them.
Regards,
Jenny

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
No bank will ever ask for your details. Jan 25, 2008

No bank will ever ask you for your details. Nor does Paypal, Moneybookers and other on-line money transfer services. If my bank wants to talk to me, I usually get a discrete letter asking me to pass by the local office.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 01:49
English to Greek
+ ...
Moneybookers verification link Jan 25, 2008

A couple of days ago I received the following message:

"Dear New Moneybookers Customer,
To safeguard the integrity of our payment system, please verify this email address by clicking on the link below:
--- LINK ---
Your verification link will only be valid for 24 hours.
Thank you for registering with Moneybookers!"

The thing is, I am not registered with Moneybookers! I don't know if that is some kind of scam, or just spam, but I was
... See more

To safeguard the integrity of our payment system, please verify this email address by clicking on the link below:
--- LINK ---

The thing is, I am not registered with Moneybookers! I don't know if that is some kind of scam, or just spam, but I was surprised to get that message (and did not follow the link, anyway!)
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
It's phishing Jan 25, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

--- LINK ---

The thing is, I am not registered with Moneybookers! I don't know if that is some kind of scam, or just spam, but I was surprised to get that message (and did not follow the link, anyway!)

You did the right thing by not following the link. If you had signed on to this link, you would have been giving them as a minimum verification of your e-mail address, thus likely subjecting you to SPAM in the future. If they had asked for for information about yourself, they could easily use this information to your detriment. But run "phish" through your favorite search engine to find out more.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 01:49
English to Greek
+ ...
Thank God I'm not a fish! Jan 25, 2008

Paul Merriam wrote:

But run "phish" through your favorite search engine to find out more.

wow, Paul, I didn't have the slightest idea about phishing!
In my language, someone is a "fish" when they accept what others tell them to do, even stupid things, without any skepticism.

This thing about e-commerce with credit card numbers and account user names and passwords gets really scary sometimes. We have to be in constant alert, not just careful!

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
RE: Moneybookers scam Jan 25, 2008

Natasha:

I hope you reported the 'phishing' scam to the real moneybookers website and gave them the link so they ca act on it.....and I thought M/bookers was so much safer than PayPal...

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reported Jan 25, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

Natasha:

I hope you reported the 'phishing' scam to the real moneybookers website and gave them the link so they ca act on it.....and I thought M/bookers was so much safer than PayPal...

Hi John,

Yes, I reported it straight away with e-mail headers, links etc.
I actually almost replied to the e-mail to tell them they had sent their money to the wrong person, silly me. I came to my senses just in time though

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:49
English to Thai
+ ...
Ubiquitious phishing Jan 26, 2008

This always happens unless you stop using e-mail.
You can search with Google. There are websites discussing about such wierd messages.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please remove doubtful links Jan 26, 2008

Hi all,
Would all those who posted links they suspect to be phishing-related please remove these links from your forum postings as soon as possible?

Posting about phishing attacks is fine, of course - providing these links is risky.

Failing this, I will need to hide the entire topic.

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
Ralf

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Telltale signs Jan 26, 2008

According to PayPal, all legit messages from them will display two features:
1. Start with "Dear [your name, as registered there]", and
2. Tell you not to click on any link, but to log in normally to your account there, and then do whatever is required.

Any equivalent organization (e.g. Moneybookers et al) or bank should at least take this simple precaution, and you should expect it always.

Messages starting with "Dear Customer" should be immed
... See more
According to PayPal, all legit messages from them will display two features:
1. Start with "Dear [your name, as registered there]", and
2. Tell you not to click on any link, but to log in normally to your account there, and then do whatever is required.

Any equivalent organization (e.g. Moneybookers et al) or bank should at least take this simple precaution, and you should expect it always.

Messages starting with "Dear Customer" should be immediately rated as fake. PayPal, MB, etc. do have your name on file, and should use it to show so.

If your name is John Doe, and your e-mail is landscape'@'whatever, a message starting with "Dear Landscape" is obviously bogus. They don't know who you are.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

warning - possible Moneybookers scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »