Pay the Translator (Harlan Ellison -- "Pay the Writer")
Thread poster: PRen (X)
PRen (X)
PRen (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:34
French to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2008

Here's an interesting clip of an interview with writer Harlan Ellison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

I think it resonates particularly well for translators, especially his remarks that professionals "are undercut by all the amateurs...it's the amateurs who make it tough for the professionals" - the people charging 3 cents a word perhaps?

PRe
... See more

I think it resonates particularly well for translators, especially his remarks that professionals "are undercut by all the amateurs...it's the amateurs who make it tough for the professionals" - the people charging 3 cents a word perhaps?

PRen

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-01 09:17]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
interesting Feb 1, 2008

PRen wrote:

PRen

Don't know who he is, but his ire is patent.

What it is about translation is that it's associated with "the arts" and people "die" to work in "the arts", hence a start-off salary, as one example, in "the publishing world". is dire compared, say, to that for a prestigious company in an economic sector that's not "artistic".

Recently there was a post about literary translation (in Spanish perhaps), referring to rates that - for me - personally - make it more economically interesting to be a cleaner (no, I'm not proud, but as it happens, I respect literature too much to translate it "fast" + "for peanuts", a rotten combination). I'd love to be a literary translator, but I'm not going to be the "whore" that Ellis referred to, I feel it's more honest to be a cleaner at 10 euros/hour than a literary translator at 3 or 4 eurocents a word.

[Edited at 2008-02-01 00:14]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Three cheers for Harlan!! Feb 1, 2008

What an excellent rant! Sounds just like me. Thank you, PRen.
I believe professional actors feel exactly the same about amateur actors who, regrettably, often equate themselves with pros when talking (endlessly) about their thespian achievements. Avoid, avoid.
Regards,
Jenny

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
About Harlan Ellison Feb 1, 2008

In case you don't know who this is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison

He's definitely got a point.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
Lawsuits Feb 2, 2008

and does not hesitate to result to lawsuits.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pay the Translator (Harlan Ellison -- "Pay the Writer")

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »