Creating an invoice
Thread poster: Roy Williams

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 16:31
German to English
Feb 14, 2008

I'm an in-house translator considering freelancing partime. I just read a forum post concering invoices. How does one create an invoice? Is there software that can help? what information needs to be included and what would be considered unnecessary?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:31
English to Russian
it's quite simple Feb 14, 2008

Invoices are usually freeform, you include client name and address, client VAT, (I usually take those from email signatures=)), project number/PO number/work order - depends on client system, your name and address, your credentials - bank account, or PP ID, or MB ID - based on agreed payment method, and VAT.

However, your client and your government may have some specific requirements regarding invoices, they need to be taken into the account.

Have a nice day
Vadim

uabvertimai
German to Lithuanian
+ ...
Take a sheet of paper... Feb 14, 2008

.. and write down your correct name (not nickname ), full address, the name, address of your client, what you have done*, the delivery dates, how much money you charge for that, VAT, if you work with, and count the total amount. Your tax number or EU- VAT ID is required in Germany, I don´t exactly know in Austria.
That´s all you need.
It make´s much sense also to declare terms of payment like your bank account, the money should be transferred to and the deadline for payment. Other contact details like email or phone number would be nice to make it easy to the costumer to contact you in case of any questions or obscurities.

*Your costumer also might be thankful, if you won´t write ten lines only like

"translation German-English X EUR"

but some more helpful details to identify what is what, like the number of the PO if he sent one or the file name or... Imagine, your client may be a translation office with some hundred translations per month.

Joachim

Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Software Feb 14, 2008

Are there software packages available to make this easier to standardize?

Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 20:31
Member (2004)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TO 3000, Practicount and Invoice etc. Feb 14, 2008

There are many...

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
microsoft office Feb 14, 2008

Go to templates in MS Office and create your invoice based on the templates offered by this software.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:31
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Talk to your client Feb 14, 2008

While all the suggestions are good, some clients have detailed instructions about how to submit invoices to them. If you have never submitted an invoice to anyone before, you might want to contact your first client and ask for guidance.

As a minimum, an invoice should answer:
a. Who gets paid?
b. How much is due?
c. How is the money to be paid?
d. Whom should the payer contact in case discussions are needed?

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check fiscal requirements Feb 14, 2008

Some countries have strict requirements for invoice format and contents. Check with your tax authority whether this applies to your case.

clauswe
Romania
French to Romanian
+ ...
snappy invoice system Feb 14, 2008

if it's enough with simple invoices

Regards,
Claudia

Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 15, 2008

Thanks all! alot of good information. I have a lot of issues to work out before I really get started and this was a good buidling block.

ksbtranslation  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:31
Indonesian to English
+ ...
A useful freeware for you Feb 25, 2008

Try this freeware: http://www.nchsoftware.com/invoice/index.html

Thanks to my colleague, Mr. Ade, an Indonesian translator, I have downloaded and tried this freeware. It has so many features. Even you can generate a PDF file and send your invoice by email automatically.

Iwan Wildana
Translator and Project Manager
Ksbtranslation.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating an invoice

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search