Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Moneybookers
Thread poster: Roy Williams

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:41
German to English
Feb 15, 2008

Does anyone out there use Moneybookers? Can the buttons be displayed in ones ProZ profile?
How does it rate in comparison to Paypal?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Moneybookers Feb 15, 2008

I use it, and recommend it. A link can be placed in your profile, but the user need to know you email address to pay you. Just place this one on your invoices.

My experience is that Moneybookers gives far better exchange rates, and they also only deduct a small amount each time you want to transfer money to your bank account.

And they have been around long enough to trust them, but be aware of scam emails with links to scam web sites. Only visit them by writing in the URL in your browser yourself, or by using a short cut.

Nadejda Vega Cespedes  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Avoid them Feb 15, 2008

The service was OK when incoming and outgoing payments were tiny. As more money accumulated, they blocked my account and demanded additional identity proof. I sent the documents to them weeks ago and never heard from them again. I know they do this randomly, so chances are you will avoid this trick, but do you want to take the risk? Complaints are either being ignored or are simply so numerous that the company is unable to deal with them within any reasonable time range.

Aniza  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 17:41
Member (2007)
English to Malay
+ ...
Moneybookers OK so far Feb 15, 2008

Well, I have heard some negative remarks, particularly in ProZ, but otherwise, I have experience good service from them. And their fees are not as high as Paypal, to me, that is. So you can rate my input as positive.

Just weigh all the possibilities, pros & cons, then decide. I did find that whatever agent you use, there's always the pros & cons depending on the individual.

Good luck.

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Fine so far Feb 15, 2008

Moneybookers has been wonderful for me although I only pass a low volume of payments through tem. They don't discriminate against developing countries like Paypal (dreadful!!) and are very simple to use!! the charges are also really low.

However, as you are in Austris maybe you could try out other options but from my end I know Moneybookers has been great.

Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
only good experiences Feb 15, 2008

I only have good experiences. Amounts up to 1000 euro's. I have been using this service for about a year now. No complaints

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:41
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
My experience is positive Feb 15, 2008

My experience is absolutely positive, even with amounts in excess of several thousands.

WilRoy wrote:Can the buttons be displayed in ones ProZ profile?

Go to Contact tab in your profile -> Edit al and then enter the email address used for the account. The address won't be displayed, but the sign will go live.

Cheers,
Oleg

[Edited at 2008-02-15 12:41]

Boris Sigalov
English to Russian
Moneybookers.com is #1 for the moment Feb 15, 2008

I have been using Moneybookers for 5 years already without any major problems. I think that this is the best online payment service for the moment.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

My experience is that Moneybookers gives far better exchange rates, and they also only deduct a small amount each time you want to transfer money to your bank account.

I can't agree that Moneybookers offer good exchange rates. On the contrary I think their exchange rates are not good for users and this is one of minor negative points I can say about Moneybookers.

Nadejda Vega Cespedes wrote:

Complaints are either being ignored or are simply so numerous that the company is unable to deal with them within any reasonable time range.

I have already given a detailed answer concerning Nadejda's 'complaints'. I don't want to repeat. Those who are interested can read my reply in the following post of mine:

http://www.proz.com/post/786094#786094

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
The only option is always the best option Feb 15, 2008

Paypal strongly discriminates its users. Moneybookers is sometimes slow in its client services but it's the only option to receive payments for most translators.

I have been using Moneybookers for about one year and I also went through the 'additional proof of identity' phase. But as soon as you are done with this painful part of Moneybookers, everything goes smooth. They charge only 1.8 EUR for transferring your money to your bank account.

Can't get any better.

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:41
English to Polish
It's worth clarifying Feb 15, 2008

The service was OK when incoming and outgoing payments were tiny. As more money accumulated, they blocked my account and demanded additional identity proof. I sent the documents to them weeks ago and never heard from them again. I know they do this randomly, so chances are you will avoid this trick, but do you want to take the risk? Complaints are either being ignored or are simply so numerous that the company is unable to deal with them within any reasonable time range.

I have been blocked too. If you didn't hear anything from them - remind them! I did - and it occurred what I sent wasn't enough, but of course no one cared to inform me about that.

But as long as you don't have to deal with their dreadful customer "support" - they are fine. Much lower costs than by Paypal. So I still recommend MB, in spite of "fun" I had with their so-called "support".

Anni

Boris Sigalov
English to Russian
It does work, folks! Feb 15, 2008

Just several minutes ago I discovered the following thread:

http://www.proz.com/topic/92774?start=0&float=

After reading all horror stories posted there I wend to my Moneybookers account and tried to withdraw some of my funds. I've managed to withdraw USD 800 absolutely without problems.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
That is the first negative comment I've heard about Moneybookers' Support Feb 15, 2008

This was exactly my experience with Paypal, while Moneybookers was always responsive and I have received many thousand EUR since several years via them, so I can only recommend them.

If you did not hear from them, you should contact them again. I don't think you will get such irrelevant standard responses like the ones I received from Paypal, who froze my account permanently. And what do you think they are doing randomly??

Nadejda Vega Cespedes  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
That you have not experienced a problem does not mean it does not exist Feb 15, 2008

I have already given a detailed answer concerning Nadejda's 'complaints'.

Yes, this really explains why MB is not answering. They don't need to because an anonymous ProZ user has already said he thinks everything is fine.

A few simple questions: Since when does the burden of proof rest on the defence? The presumption of innocence is no longer relevant? Has any court declared me guilty of any crime punishable with funds seizure? If not, on what grounds am I being punished? Finally, who does the money on my account belong to? Moneybookers? If yes, on what grounds? If not, then what makes you think they may retain it? For some strange reason they don't ask questions when they take your money, but when the time comes to give it back, they suddenly realize you might be a drug dealer. That's what I call integrity!

If you didn't hear anything from them - remind them!

According to the notification you get when you file a complaint, a reminder will move you back to the end of the queue. Excellent service, isn't it? After several weeks of waiting, at the beginning of this week I thought another message would not hurt. Needless to say, they didn't even bother to reply with a reassuring one-liner along the lines of "We'll investigate the situation and get back to you before this millennium ends."

It does work, folks!

This is so wise! I hope when you hear about starvation in Africa, you laugh in the speaker's face: you are not starving, so it would be silly to believe anybody else is.

[Edited at 2008-02-15 20:26]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Misunderstanding Feb 15, 2008

According to the notification you get when you file a complaint, a reminder will move you back to the end of the queue. Excellent service, isn't it?

I just tested this and I think you misunderstood it. The message says:
Please note that if you post a second message on this issue, your ticket will move back to the end of the waiting queue.

This makes sense, because two times the same content would be redundant.

A complaint that your ID verification did not proceed as scheduled is a different issue, so the above rule would not apply.
And Moneybookers has the same obligation to do ID verifications as Paypal, the difference in my experience is that Moneybookers really worked on it and answered emails, while at Paypal I got the impression I was talking to a stupid computer.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No personal comments, please Feb 15, 2008

Good evening all,
I would appreciate if all participants could keep the discussion to the point, without getting personal, and without straying from the topic. You may have had different experiences with a particular service - no need to attack each other personally.

Thanks everyone.

Best regards,
Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search