I need some transcription with translation rates please!
Thread poster: Alejandra Garza
Alejandra Garza
Alejandra Garza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2008

Hello everyone!

I've been offered a freelance job of a transcription with translation on very techincal medical topics (Cardiology, Oncology, etc.).

I've no idea how much to charge per minute of audio (requested per minute but if you have hourly rates, I'll do the math).

I've read some threads but haven't found something helpful, so how much would you rate, from Spanish to English per audio minute? I'm completely clueless regarding this issue.

... See more
Hello everyone!

I've been offered a freelance job of a transcription with translation on very techincal medical topics (Cardiology, Oncology, etc.).

I've no idea how much to charge per minute of audio (requested per minute but if you have hourly rates, I'll do the math).

I've read some threads but haven't found something helpful, so how much would you rate, from Spanish to English per audio minute? I'm completely clueless regarding this issue.

Thanks a million!
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:58
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think each minute takes 3 minutes to transcribe Feb 20, 2008

Therefore, a 15-minute tape should take 45 minutes to transcribe and you would charge 45 minutes of your time.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No transcription standard Feb 20, 2008

There is no transcription standard for rates at all, since the quality of audio can vary tremendously as well as the amount of speech involved. Astrid says: "Therefore, a 15-minute tape should take 45 minutes to transcribe and you would charge 45 minutes of your time." No way, Astrid. Try it, you won't like it. You cannot make any money at all like that.

Therefore transcription has to be by hourly rates. You should know what kind of hourly rate you want (better than the cleaning lad
... See more
There is no transcription standard for rates at all, since the quality of audio can vary tremendously as well as the amount of speech involved. Astrid says: "Therefore, a 15-minute tape should take 45 minutes to transcribe and you would charge 45 minutes of your time." No way, Astrid. Try it, you won't like it. You cannot make any money at all like that.

Therefore transcription has to be by hourly rates. You should know what kind of hourly rate you want (better than the cleaning lady gets, I hope). You might also realize that transcribers work for much less than translators so you might want to outsource that part of the job then do quality checking and editing only, and translation. Transcribing also requires special equipment plus very keen hearing, which we do not all have. I, for instance, am among the semi-deaf so I never transcribe.

If someone tries to twist your arm on this, resist with all your might. Plus, if they try to twist your arm, they are not worth working for. However, if after working with them for a time you could consider some kind of flat rate if the work appears to be fairly uniform and you have been able to set a standard on it. But I would always recommend an "out" in case they ever give you something that is clearly outside that standard.

There has been some discussion of this matter before, so if you know how (I don't), you could search for it.
Collapse

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 17:58
English to Russian
5:1 Feb 20, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I think each minute takes 3 minutes to transcribe

Elke, according to my experience it's not 3 but 5 minutes in average. But the pace depends on many factors.

And Vertigirl, please don't mix two different jobs: first you transcribe (one rate), then you translate the transcribed text (another rate).

Alejandra Garza
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 20, 2008

Thanks so much, I'm also an interpreter and I can charge what I charge for the hour...

Thanks!

Alejandra Garza
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry Feb 20, 2008

You're absolutely right, I had to do a test to see if I was capable of doing the job, only 15 minutes of audio and it definitely didn't take me 15 minutes, it took me a few hours because I had to deliver it in a special format, etc.

However, I find the job interesting. I do understand that transcribing is an office job and not a translator's job, but I'm thinking on giving it a go and see if I like it and of course, under certain conditions. If the audio quality is poor I'm going t
... See more
You're absolutely right, I had to do a test to see if I was capable of doing the job, only 15 minutes of audio and it definitely didn't take me 15 minutes, it took me a few hours because I had to deliver it in a special format, etc.

However, I find the job interesting. I do understand that transcribing is an office job and not a translator's job, but I'm thinking on giving it a go and see if I like it and of course, under certain conditions. If the audio quality is poor I'm going to have to charge more because instead of taking me 4 hours it will take me 6, for instance.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 16:58
French to Dutch
+ ...
Transcription Feb 20, 2008

For conferences, one hour of tape or audio file (good quality) will need 6-8 hours of transcription and will give about 28 pages of 250 words. Video's which have been registered in good conditions (only one person speaking at the same time) are likely to go faster. Always ask the files or the tapes before quoting.

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-02-21 15:28]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Test Feb 21, 2008

"You're absolutely right, I had to do a test to see if I was capable of doing the job, only 15 minutes of audio and it definitely didn't take me 15 minutes, it took me a few hours..."

I sure hope you got paid for that!

Alejandra Garza
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't! Feb 21, 2008

Nope, didn't get paid for that... oh well, I try to see it on the good side and it helped me with my medical terminology LOL!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need some transcription with translation rates please!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »