Thread poster: 633310 (X)
 633310 (X)
633310 (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:23
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Feb 21, 2008

Hello,

I would like to know if someone has already been paid on paypal with e-check?
My clients always pay by credit cards or other on paypal and money is added immediately.
But now one of my UK clients has paid by e-check on paypal and it is written that money will be added to my paypal account within 7-9 days. Is it reliable ?

I would like to know what it is.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Tetyana

CFK TRAD
CFK TRAD  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yes, it's reliable ! Feb 21, 2008

Hello Tetyana !

Most of the times, my clients pay me via PayPal using either their paypal account (where balance is high enough) or their Credit / Debit Card.

One client pays me via e-check. It takes, after Paypal, around 5 business days to "compensate" the e-check, when the issuer and the beneficiary are not in the same country. However, even though PayPal points out that it takes 5 business days to clear the check, in my case it take around 3 days.

It's j
... See more
Hello Tetyana !

Most of the times, my clients pay me via PayPal using either their paypal account (where balance is high enough) or their Credit / Debit Card.

One client pays me via e-check. It takes, after Paypal, around 5 business days to "compensate" the e-check, when the issuer and the beneficiary are not in the same country. However, even though PayPal points out that it takes 5 business days to clear the check, in my case it take around 3 days.

It's just as reliable as any other payment via PayPal. It's a sort of bank transfert from the client's ++bank account++ to paypal, and then from paypal to your paypal account.

Just a point that should reassure you : once the e-check has been issued, PayPal considers that the transaction has begun. Hence, if you don't receive the money, you can fill a complaint form.

I have asked the outsourcer why she would pay only via e-check : it seems that, between some countries, and depending on the average monthly income of the outsourcer, using the e-check becomes mandatory under PayPal regulations.

Maybe it's what's going on with you, but, honestly, I would not worry.

I hope this helps you a little !

Cheers

Coralie
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
Most reliable Feb 21, 2008

And guess what? You don't pay but five dollars for the transfer! No other comissions.

For withdrawing to your bank account, you'll have to wait until PayPal notify you that the eCheck has been "cleared" (3 to 4 days). But the wait worths it, specially if it's a big sum.

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Tadz is right Feb 21, 2008

unless you are so broke it is an emergency, this method is preferrable - it is a lot cheaper.

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
English to French
+ ...
Agree with all the colleagues Feb 21, 2008

GO for it.
Pascale Daniel

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, nothing wrong with it Feb 21, 2008

You just have to wait a few days for the money do deposit in your paypal account. It's no different than any other paypal deposit apart from a wait of a few days versus being immediate.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:23
Spanish
+ ...
Reliable Feb 21, 2008

I've also found this method very reliable, although it takes longer than a usual Paypal transference. Also, I don't really find it that cheap. The last eCheck I received was for about $22.00 and I was charged $0.96, that wasn't from an international eCheck.

633310 (X)
633310 (X)  Identity Verified

Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Feb 21, 2008

thanks a lot for your replies!

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
e-check Feb 22, 2008

I've learnt about this e-check, thank you for all the inputs

gruftiam (X)
gruftiam (X)
English to German
Warning about PayPal Feb 24, 2008

You should be aware that there is no paypal guarantee for payment of non-physical items. as an example: a friend of mine sold some 'money' from the online game 'Everquest' via PayPal, and the buyer then reversed the transaction. There was nothing my friend could do, as the sale was for non-physical items.

My suggestion is to send the results of your work on a CD, with a service that offers proof of receipt. Make the customer pay for this. When you feel that you have an established a
... See more
You should be aware that there is no paypal guarantee for payment of non-physical items. as an example: a friend of mine sold some 'money' from the online game 'Everquest' via PayPal, and the buyer then reversed the transaction. There was nothing my friend could do, as the sale was for non-physical items.

My suggestion is to send the results of your work on a CD, with a service that offers proof of receipt. Make the customer pay for this. When you feel that you have an established and comfortable relationship with the customer, you can resort to Paypal, or checks.

I would especially advise doing this when dealing with customers who are in countries where legal action against them would be all but impossible - such as Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.

Perhaps PROZ could set up a payment processing service for its members?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

e-check on paypal?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »