Rates for English Chinese translation
Thread poster: yinsegou
yinsegou
Local time: 08:05
English to Czech
+ ...
Feb 26, 2008

Hi there!

I was asked by a Taiwanese company to state my best rate. Since I am completely new on this website and also have no idea about the usual rates in Taiwan, could anybody help me?

It is supposed to be Chinese/ English translation (and I am neither a Chinese nor an English native speaker)

Does anybody know the average rate so that I would not ask much and also not too little?

Thank you,

Jiri

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
What is in a rate? Feb 26, 2008

yinsegou wrote:
... and I am neither a Chinese nor an English native speaker...

...and, I would add, you risk of being asked to translate a text in a field about which you have not the faintest idea, in any language, including your native language.

To provide a rate, which is, by the way, not a fixed figure for Taiwan (so nobody can help you there), you should at least figure out first if you can provide the service, then evaluate the specific text and quantify it in terms of your time, and finally factor in the expertise (added value) provided by you, personally.

All this produces a very different figure for each translator, as it is a function of the value of the service provided, and that is very personal indeed.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-02-27 16:21]

freelance522  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 14:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
agree with gianfranco Feb 27, 2008

Hi, I saw your language pairs are Eng--- Czech, Chi---> Czech.
I supposed that you have proficency both in English and Chinese (Traditional).
The rate varies for each client. Some offer a good price, some offer low rates.
I think gianfranco's suggestion is a good reference.
Actually, Chi--Czech might be able to ask for a better price, I believe that not so many ppl can do this pair (But it seems that there is not much connection between Czech and Taiwan, so the trans demand for this pair in the market might be low).

[Edited at 2008-02-27 03:25]

[Edited at 2008-02-27 03:26]

[Edited at 2008-02-27 03:28]

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
only you know your value Feb 27, 2008

but with your language pair, USD20 per 100 source words is not unrealistic. I think in fact you should ask for more and be prepared for some bargaining.

yinsegou wrote:

Hi there!

I was asked by a Taiwanese company to state my best rate. Since I am completely new on this website and also have no idea about the usual rates in Taiwan, could anybody help me?

It is supposed to be Chinese/ English translation (and I am neither a Chinese nor an English native speaker)

Does anybody know the average rate so that I would not ask much and also not too little?

Thank you,

Jiri

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for English Chinese translation

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search