Invoicing Germany from the US
Thread poster: Cochise
Cochise
Local time: 19:20
English
+ ...
Feb 29, 2008

I am doing a small translation job for a client in Germany. Unfortunately, I do not know how to bill him. Is there anything in particular I have to consider? I will not have to add any VAT, as I am not taxable in Germany? Thank you for any help...

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Ask your client Feb 29, 2008

They aren't particularly interested in not paying you (unless they're a fly-by-night outfit). They've probably dealt with people who live wherever you live. Just write them and ask and you should get a good answer.

Bear in mind that another client in Germany might have a different answer. If you get another client in Germany, it's best to ask about this before you start translation.

Cochise
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Client doesn't know either Feb 29, 2008

Paul, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it's the first time they're dealing with such a case (and it's a small company). I just wonder if I have to take anything in particular into consideration when billing them. Or do I just write a "normal" invoice without tax# and VAT?

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
German to English
+ ...
No VAT Mar 1, 2008

I agree that you should ask the client. If you're receiving a wire transfer from Germany, I've found it's important for the invoice to include along (with my bank account no.) my bank's full address, as well as the routing no., the international routing no. if you have it, and the SWIFT code. Your bank can give you that information.

By the way, if it's a small job, you might look around for other methods of payment that might be less expensive for your client than wire transfers. I have quite a few customers for whom I wait until I have accumulated a certain amount of jobs/euros before I invoice so that the fees aren't too high on either side.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
EU-regulations Mar 1, 2008

I don't know what US regulations require, but to send an invoice that will meet the needs of your client, you'll need to include:

- vendors details (name, address, country)
- buyers details (name, address, country)
- your bank account number or Paypal/Moneybookers account
- short description (services: translation)
- date of delivery
- an invoice number
- an invoice date
- a statement to the effect that since this is an international payment, there will be no VAT. You would do wise to add their VAT-number, and yours as well (or whatever the equivalent is in the US).
- perhaps the name of your contact there

To be on the safe side, you can mail or fax a copy to them so they can check and then send the final invoice by snail mail. Officially, attachments to e-mail and/or fax copies are not accepted for tax and audit purposes. Unofficially, they are, but well, you never know.

If you do insist on getting paid by wire transfer, you should also provide your full bank details, including IBAN/SWIFT/BIC (I think two of these are one and the same, I just never know which), and location/address of your bank and its department for international payments. I think Daina is right, though. For small payments, the costs are high in relation to the payment.

For example, I have to tell my clients to send international payments via Amsterdam, because my bank has its international payments department located there. I do not live in Amsterdam, but my local branch does not process international payments.

Part of these requirements are EU policy, the rest is just practical.
For example, it has long been not officially required to write your bank account number on invoices in the Netherlands, but it does help to get paid....

I think this is all you need, but if you send a draft invoice to your client, they'll surely tell you if there is anything missing that they need. US requirements are your field.:-)

Good luck!

Cochise
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 1, 2008

Thank you for all your replies/suggestions, they were very helpful! I had not thought about the fees for wire transfers, so thank you for bringing that up!

German to English
+ ...
Two corrections to Margreet's suggestions (for the US context) Mar 3, 2008

1. We don't use IBAN. Providing the SWIFT code is usually enough.
2. We don't have VAT nos. and I have never been asked for my employer ID no. (tax number) for invoicing purposes (by a client abroad anyway).

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Mar 3, 2008

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

1. We don't use IBAN. Providing the SWIFT code is usually enough.
2. We don't have VAT nos. and I have never been asked for my employer ID no. (tax number) for invoicing purposes (by a client abroad anyway).

Thanks for pointing that out.

German to English
+ ...
No problem Mar 3, 2008

The information you provided was very useful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing Germany from the US

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search