Thread poster: yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:09
French to Russian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2008

Actually I'm doing translation Fra>Rus for an agency and being paid 0.16/word. The source text is so awful and there are so many mistakes (from 2 to 10 and more per line (!!!) that I mentionned it to the agency and offered them to correct all the errors, asking 0.05/source word. They accepted without bargaining, but mentionned that the text should be adapted for French (it's in français québécois) and if possible for subtitles (actually, it's a script of promotional videos that'll be subtitle... See more
Actually I'm doing translation Fra>Rus for an agency and being paid 0.16/word. The source text is so awful and there are so many mistakes (from 2 to 10 and more per line (!!!) that I mentionned it to the agency and offered them to correct all the errors, asking 0.05/source word. They accepted without bargaining, but mentionned that the text should be adapted for French (it's in français québécois) and if possible for subtitles (actually, it's a script of promotional videos that'll be subtitled for France).

When I started to really proof-read the text, I found that I was really tough. Everything is to change! Not only correcting spelling or grammar mistakes, but completely reformulating whole sentences for it to be readable for subtitles and make sense.

The amount of source words is about 7500, and I estimate the proof-reading for at least 12-15 hours.
Well, the question is "Is it a good price for a job like this one?"
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Mar 10, 2008

You'd best get closer to you translating rate for that part, but of course your translating rate is not bad at all.

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:09
English to French
+ ...
Fair pay Mar 10, 2008

Hello,

Could you specify the curency? Then, we will be able to give an opinion.

I charge proofreading by the hour at 30 USD or by word and it is then half my rates for translation. Those vary a lot according to the type of work.

If you have to rewrite the text and it takes you 15 hours, 0.04 seems too low, particularly in view of the charge for translation.

Claudette

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
English to Norwegian
Grin and bear it. Mar 10, 2008

You gave an offer and they accepted it.
Since it is only 15 hours, you should stick with your quotation. Next time, charge per hour. Proofreading differs enormously from document to document.

Per Magnus

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Precisely Mar 10, 2008

Per Magnus wrote:

You gave an offer and they accepted it.

If you quoted without determining what the work actually involved, and that quote was accepted, it's your loss.

yanadeni (X)
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 10, 2008

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

Could you specify the curency? Then, we will be able to give an opinion.
Canadian dollar.

Actually, I don't know our local rates yet. I've always worked as an inhouse translator and it's my first experience as freelancer. I asked for advice about rates my collegue who translates EN-DEU, FR-EN, FR-DEU and she told me she charged 0.18/word. Since I had no other references, I decided to charge smth around this considering my experience.

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

If you quoted without determining what the work actually involved, and that quote was accepted, it's your loss.

The point is not to assure myself of a loss (finally it's not a big deal this time), but to learn real rates for this kind of job.

[Edited at 2008-03-10 12:52]

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Translation... Mar 11, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

When I started to really proof-read the text, I found that I was really tough. Everything is to change! Not only correcting spelling or grammar mistakes, but completely reformulating whole sentences for it to be readable for subtitles and make sense.

It's not proofreading anymore, it's translation since you have to start all over. I charge proofreading, for example, on the work I do, i.e. when my translation goes to the graphic designer for layout, he/she sends it back to me to proofread before it goes to press to make sure that all the elements are in their rightful place and word separation is correct.

When a client asks me to review a translation already done, then it's editing, or translation if the work is very badly done, and I charge accordingly. In this case, I would have charged a translation rate (per word rate).

yanadeni (X)
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 11, 2008

ChrisGT wrote:

When a client asks me to review a translation already done, then it's editing, or translation if the work is very badly done, and I charge accordingly. In this case, I would have charged a translation rate (per word rate).

Thank you Chris.
Well, what do you think about my translation rates? Some told me they were a little bit excessive. I found that FRE-RUS, ENG-RUS were rated from 0.04 to 0.22$, so I'm confused...

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Rates... Mar 11, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

ChrisGT wrote:

Thank you Chris.
Well, what do you think about my translation rates? Some told me they were a little bit excessive. I found that FRE-RUS, ENG-RUS were rated from 0.04 to 0.22$, so I'm confused...

I always charged an hourly rate for editing/proofreading, so I wouldn't know if the .05 cents/word that you are charging them is fair or not. As for the translation rate, you are working for a translation agency and I don't know anything about those either. I've never worked for one. However, it depends also on the location, some cities charge more than others, like in Vancouver. There is one lady that I had met once, she worked in Quebec City and did sub work for another translator who had contracts from the government agencies and she charged 19 cents/word. J'imagine qu'il faut "tâter le terrain" comme on dit ici...
Bonne chance!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proof-reading rates in Quebec

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »