Rates for "preliminary scan" of large doc?
Thread poster: Emilie Fahlenkamp

Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2008

Hello,

I have been given a large document -about 40,000 words- of legal text where the client wants me to do what they call a "preliminary scan" of the content in order to determine which sections are relevant to them for subsequent translation. As I understand it, they need a translated summary or overwiev of the document.

My question is: how would you charge for this?

Thanks in advance,

Emilie

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Time & Words Mar 11, 2008

For scanning and deciding, charge by time, then translate by words.

I do this sometimes for clients and just charge for words because the documents I get, I know quite well, and what is and is not pertinent so I just go there.

However, unless you have a high level of expertise with the documents involved and can make such judgments, it will take some time and consultation with the client to get it right, and that is assuming the client knows what he is doing there.

You might need to consult with the client's legal counsel.

Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Legal counsel? Mar 11, 2008

I know next to nothing about what the end client is looking for; and I am pretty sure that their knowledge of the text is minimal, hence their need for this service.

Can you explain the circumstances under which I would have to consult with the client's legal counsel, and what to be aware of?

Thanks.

xxxhazmatgerman
Local time: 04:56
English to German
note of caution Mar 12, 2008

Dear Ms. Fahlenkamp,
IMO the customer does not want a summary/overview but an extract of some unspecified clauses.
If your text is a contract it is highly probable that absolutely no clauses of irrelevancy exist. Rather, important provisions may be purposely hidden in obscure places, depending on the intentions and mother tongue of the authors of the text. If a "scan reading" of the text is nevertheless demanded by your customer, make sure the customer (their lawyer) tells you exactly which content to look for in writing. Otherwise you might end up being held responsible for wrong choice of "relevant provisions".
It the text is a legislative piece the same caution applies, but translations may be available on the web.
Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for "preliminary scan" of large doc?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search