Power Point Presentations: How much do you charge for them?
Thread poster: kairosz (Mary Guerrero)

kairosz (Mary Guerrero)  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:36
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2003

Hi! I have translated PowerPoint Presentations several times. However, I never know on what basis should I charge for them, since PowerPoint does not offer the word count feature. Do you charge per slide? If so, how much would be an adequate amount?
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 06:36
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Per hour, if you don't have a CAT Apr 3, 2003

Hi,

This is my suggestion and what I used to do before buying a CAT.

Now I prefer to use a CAT for translating a *.ppt file (= I save a lot of time, as I don\'t have to open and close objects, + usual help provided by TMs) and all of them offer a word count.

Giuliana
[addsig]

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
File > Statistics Apr 3, 2003

This gives you a word count, though it is worth taking the extra work often entailed by Powerpoint slides in your price, if you don\'t charge on an hourly basis.

Marc

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Marc Apr 3, 2003

I also charge hourly because of all the fiddling with text boxes, embedded Excel tables, making callouts for graphics I can\'t edit, etc.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
English to Tamil
+ ...
What I did Apr 14, 2003

Copy the entries text box by text box and paste the same in a word file. Get the word count. If necessary send the word pasted file too to the client for him to check the word count. Clipboard allows up to 24 copyings. Paste all in the newly opened document, clear the clipboard and proceed till the entire pp file is covered.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PPT *has* a word count feature...? Apr 14, 2003

Quote:

Copy the entries text box by text box and paste the same in a word file. Get the word count. If necessary send the word pasted file too to the client for him to check the word count. Clipboard allows up to 24 copyings. Paste all in the newly opened document, clear the clipboard and proceed till the entire pp file is covered.

Sounds like unnecessary work - as Marc pointed out above, PowerPoint has a word count function. The real question is whether invoicing based on word count makes sense for PPT files (I don\'t think so...).

Best, Ralf

Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Price per hour Apr 15, 2003

What would be a normal price per hour?

Or what would be a reasonable over price if I charge the customer based on word count?

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Price per hour Apr 15, 2003

Charge your usual hourly rate, if you have one. An appropriate hourly rate is a subject in its own right. For a VERY rough idea, think what a salaried translator in your country earns per hour (gross), and double it.

I actually prefer NOT to charge per hour (which might surprise some people). The problem is that PowerPoint slides vary considerably. Some are just like word processing files, and look as though the author just wanted an excuse to use his nice PowerPoint program for a change. You can charge for those as you would for a word processing file. If this is inconvenient, for example because it prevents you using a CAT tool, you might add a surcharge.

More usually, though, PowerPoint files contain graphics with lots of legends. It is difficult to quantify the amount of additional work such slides entail compared to normal text, but it is considerable. If you decide to charge by the word, don\'t be afraid to raise the word price by a large factor, e.g. double.

Marc

Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Price per word Apr 15, 2003

Thank you, Marc. Your reply sounds very reasonable. I don´t like to charge per hour either. So doubling your price per word sounds fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power Point Presentations: How much do you charge for them?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search