A suggestion and a question
Thread poster: Ruxi

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 16, 2004

I like very much the idea of this forum.Besides having a change of experience related to children, you can also know each other better, getting closer (as you find now some more elements of each colleagues).
I don't want to disturb your discussion, but only to ask a question and make a suggestion.
Is this forum been designed only for families with children?
My suggestion for discussion subjects has two parts:
1. How do you manage to understand and accept the culture, the traditions of your foreign partner.How do you manage to have contact to his social medium (friends and family)?
2. I don't know how many of you also live in a foreign country and if you are interested to talk about your experience regarding the difficulties you face and the positive things you face in the new country.
Anyone would be interested in this subjects?
If not I will not disturb you here.

Thank you,
Ruxi

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:04
French to Spanish
+ ...
I'd say... Jun 16, 2004

.. Every in-law family is a foreign family.

Good idea. Interesting and funny cases can come up.

Not strictly my case, though.

[Edited at 2004-06-16 19:25]

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:04
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Love is the key..... Jun 16, 2004

Ruxi wrote:

Is this forum been designed only for families with children?

Hello dear Ruxi. No, I don't think this is only for the families with children. I think this was started in this direction since one of the main "issues" (not really an issue) to face in a multilingual environment is to start managing the two (or more) languages through which two people will have to communicate with their children.

There are pros' out there that do not have this situation, either because the couple speaks the same language (a Spanish has married an other Spanish, an Italian has married another Italian, and so on) or because they do not have any kids yet.

I hope every body will participate exposing here many views of the multilingual environment/situations. Obviously, I must admit, I like most the kids subjects and I really do like the start of this forum.

Ruxi wrote:
My suggestion for discussion subjects has two parts:
1. How do you manage to understand and accept the culture, the traditions of your foreign partner. How do you manage to have contact to his social medium (friends and family)?

Love is the key, as I said at the title of this posting. If you get to know somebody, love him/her you do not even ask the question whether (or how) you would accept his/her culture. Accepting and understanding, IMO, is love, too. I think every body in the world has something to be understood and accepted about. Besides that, I also thought (even before marrying a non-Albanian guy, Italian precisely) that having a mixed situation/marriage would be fun, too. Of course some times is hard to understand and cope with many people's reaction, habits, traditions, but it it is still part of my challange and this does not disturb me.

Ruxi wrote:
2. I don't know how many of you also live in a foreign country and if you are interested to talk about your experience regarding the difficulties you face and the positive things you face in the new country.

Yea, as I said in the other forum, I am Albanian, my husband Italian, we live in Ukraine now (after Romania) and trying to get used in this country, too. There are so many things different from your country, food, climate, but you just start to know the place, people and understand a lot of what is going on and why. The difficulties? I don't know. Language to start with (in case you do not speak the language of that country), but besides that...you start, very slowly, to know the town, the markets, the restaurants, entertainment, people, and so on. There is not a strategy. There is a rule I have learned. Never be extremely critic about what you do not like in that place. Wait a bit. You get to gain an adaptation spirit tailored just for you by you. Positive things are, obviously, the first ones to impress you. In my case (Kiev) cultural life (absolutely beautiful), theaters, opera, concerts, etc, architectural values, and so many other things.

I don't know, Ruxi, you may would like to open different forums with these two different questions here. I am sure there are a lot of pros' with a lot more brilliant ideas.

Have fun and good luck in the multilingual world.
Fabiana

[Edited at 2004-06-16 20:19]

Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
English
+ ...
Not only those with kids! Jun 16, 2004

I don't think this forum is limited to those with families. I see it as being open to anyone who is interested in language (or cultural) issues related to growing up with two or more languages.

In my case I was a member of an internet bilingual families group when Jana was only at the planning stages

Montse Safont
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Talking to my baby in English or not? Jun 17, 2004

I've found this forum very interesting and I want to post my case so that you can give me your opinion.
I'm expecting a baby by end of November/ beg. of Dec., and I'm considering talking to my baby in English when he/she borns (I still don't know the sex). I'm a bilingual speaker of Catalan and Spanish, though my mother tongue is Catalan. In the town where I live, wverybody speaks Catalan though many people speak Spanish since they are from past immigrants that came from the rest of Spain. So my baby will already grow up in a bilingual environment somehow (some of my husband's family speaks Spanish).
My doubt is whether I should talk to my babe in English or not. I'm not an English native speaker but I've a good command of it; I've studied a degree in English philology and I've been in London many times for quite long periods. In fact, I've some relatives living there so I'm 100% sure my babe will frequently go there (I'll take he/she there as soon as I can).

I think it'll be very possitive for my babe to grow up in a multilingual environment, but maybe since I'm not a native, he/she will not get "the real" English. And maybe other people from the town, family or friends may believe I'm trying to show off" my English or so.

Is there anyone who has already gone through this experience (with other languages or the same), or what do you thing I should do? I still have some few months to think about it!

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
this reminds me... Jun 17, 2004

montse25 wrote:
I think it'll be very possitive for my babe to grow up in a multilingual environment, but maybe since I'm not a native, he/she will not get "the real" English.

...of my first few months as a reviewer of Spanish language translations in a NYC agency...back then I was convinced I knew what "the real" Spanish was (the Castilian I grew up with, of course...). Twenty odd years later, you should listen to me talking to the Mexican crew doing our home repairs...sounds to me as "real" as it gets, even if I would never use that choice of language in any other context. Not sure what my point is...other than language is a bottomless resource, and the deeper you delve into it the richer it gets, with all its hooks and nooks and variations. That's "real". As for the other people from the town...seems to me if they want to get on your case they will find a way to do so no matter what

petonets,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

A suggestion and a question

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search