How to get started teaching husband and child....
Thread poster: Claudia Dvorak
Claudia Dvorak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:12
English to German
+ ...
Aug 6, 2004

Since I am a German > English translator living in the US, my husband and 9 year-old son (and entire family in Germany) want me to teach them German so they can communicate with each other. A little late in the game, I know, but does anyone have an idea how to get started with this?
Thanks for your input!
Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Try online courses maybe? Aug 7, 2004

Hi Claudia,
my husband is portuguese and he is learning german also, but as I dont have the pacience to teach him he uses a book and then asks me

There are plenty of free online-courses in the Internet.

Good luck,
Natália

P.S. Havent you raised your son in german?

Claudia Dvorak wrote:

Since I am a German > English translator living in the US, my husband and 9 year-old son (and entire family in Germany) want me to teach them German so they can communicate with each other. A little late in the game, I know, but does anyone have an idea how to get started with this?
Thanks for your input!
Claudia

Claudia Dvorak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:12
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 7, 2004

No, I he was born here in the US and I just never did it. Don't really know why, although I wish I had, because especially my husband is nagging all of the time. We are planning to put up post-it notes all over the house for starters to identify the main objects in a house. I'll check out the internet courses. I had no idea there are some of those free. I generally use my computer for work only. I have been a translator for about 13 years, don't know how many years I have belonged to Proz, but I never even looked at a forum. Anyway, I sure appreciate the input.

Claudia

europa9490
French to English
+ ...
I had a similar problem Aug 7, 2004

Hi Claudia,

My problem is kind of from the opposite end. I was raised by my mother who spoke four languages (her native tongue being German), but she decided not to raise my sister and me in a bilingual environment. This has really caused endless frustration to my German-speaking grandparents, family members and me. She regrets not having taught us German, but know she also does not really have the patience for it today either.

In any case, I found that the best way to pick it up was through immersion. There were times when I spent days at my grandmother's house, drinking coffee with her, completely confused when she spoke to me! However, little by little, I picked up German words and then phrases, until now(years later) I can sit in a room with my family members and understand about 90% of what is being discussed. Of course, this took a lot of time, but I still think what helped me learn German was my necessity to learn it -- had I not picked up words and phrases, I would still be entirely lost in their conversations.

So, if you wanted, you could speak to them in German a little everyday; this is frustrating at the beginning and you would might have to clarify a lot, but this stage wouldn't last forever. Also, they could watch (subtitled) German films, pore over magazines or any other method that would encourage such an immersion. On-line courses or courses that meet once or twice a week would help them piece together what they are picking up, grammar, etc. I don't know your situation or how practical this approach would be for your family, but immersion in some form is an idea at least to consider. All I know is if I were stuck in classes learning it, I don't think I would have liked German as much as I do now, since for me the immersion process made it more of a lively language. The best of luck with whatever you decide on!

Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
German to English
+ ...
Just do it! Aug 8, 2004

Hello Claudia
I have three sons of which two were raised trilingually (we were still living in South Africa at the time, so English, German and Zulu was the name of the game) but my youngest was born in Germany and we let it slip badly. When he was six years old, I decided just to do it and began talking to him in English for a certain time of each day. Within three weeks he was able to 'phone his grandmommy and speak to her!!! Kids learn so fast, I really don't see why one should put them through official learning at so young an age.

My husband had to learn German very fast, as he was put in the deep end jobwise. I did the same with him, just began chatting to him. I didn't correct his pronounciation or grammar until he was relatively firm and confident and he hasn't looked back since. So, just do it!
Have fun,
Kathinka

Carley Hydusik  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:12
Russian to English
+ ...
Concordia Language Villages Aug 8, 2004

You might want to send your son to Concordia Language Villages in the summer (They won't take your husband... I taught there for four summers, and it is one of the happiest places on Earth, in my opinion. It is a group of summer camps in Minnesota... there are about 13 language camps to choose from, including Waldsee, the German camp. Sessions run from two to four weeks, although for his age group, I think it's only two. In any case, it's immersion while still being in the US, and it is a load of fun! Please feel free to email me if you would like more detailed information about Waldsee.

See the link: http://www.cord.edu/dept/clv/

My goodness, I just saw on that page that they have a section entitled "Not just for kids", so maybe they would take your husband, too!

Best wishes!
Carley

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to get started teaching husband and child....

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search