Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you speak a dialect in your foreign language?
Thread poster: Stephanie Wloch

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Don't forget the Saxons Sep 5, 2005

I'm a native Swede who moved to Saxony/Germany in 1991. Had English (10 yrs) and German (5 yrs) at school back in Sweden.

When I came to Germany I was most probably speaking High German (hard to say these days) but after a while the influence from the Saxon dialect poured in. I now understand most of the dialect terms and can also determine which part of Saxony somebody comes from.

Strangely enough, when travelling to other parts of Germany people start asking if I'm f
... See more
I'm a native Swede who moved to Saxony/Germany in 1991. Had English (10 yrs) and German (5 yrs) at school back in Sweden.

When I came to Germany I was most probably speaking High German (hard to say these days) but after a while the influence from the Saxon dialect poured in. I now understand most of the dialect terms and can also determine which part of Saxony somebody comes from.

Strangely enough, when travelling to other parts of Germany people start asking if I'm from Saxony, but in Saxony itself some people think I'm from the north of Germany, because of my dialect (which might be a mix of High German and Saxon dialect). My standard answer is, as always, "I come from the south of Sweden". Reply very often: "Ah, you mean one of the ancient Swedish colonies at the Baltic, which are now in Germany?"

My English is the "Atlantic English" I was once told by a British friend - a little bit of American, Canadian and British English, although pronunciation often tending to the Brits (because that's what we learnt at school).

Dialects are fantastic and really a resource for any language. It would be a shame if they would just die. There's a good saying: a language is a dialect with an army behind it. So the borderline between a dialect and a language can be very diffuse.
Let's fight for the dialects.

Kind regards
Erik

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail info@hansson.de
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.t-translators.net
Internet www.technical-translators.net
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Andreas THEODOROU  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:22
Greek to English
+ ...
Greek Oct 1, 2005

My origins are Greek Cypriot and this is the Greek accent that I grew up with (my mother tongue is English – I grow up in London). However, the GC dialect is more of a spoken than a written form. In Cyprus, speaking Greek as the Greeks do is a sign of education.

Over time, my Greek accent has shifted from one to the other – I suppose that this was a conscious choice. In certain environments, I am still conscious of the effect of my accent on some people especially those I’ve
... See more
My origins are Greek Cypriot and this is the Greek accent that I grew up with (my mother tongue is English – I grow up in London). However, the GC dialect is more of a spoken than a written form. In Cyprus, speaking Greek as the Greeks do is a sign of education.

Over time, my Greek accent has shifted from one to the other – I suppose that this was a conscious choice. In certain environments, I am still conscious of the effect of my accent on some people especially those I’ve known for a long time. This was the case in Greece last year: some of my Cypriot friends found it strange, but others appreciated it.

Andreas
Collapse

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
German and South Styrian dialect Oct 16, 2005

I temporarily live in Croatia, but my origins are Burgenland Croatian (which I regretfully don't speak). Because I was raised in South Styria, aside from German I also speak South Styrian dialect.

Regards,
Davor

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Are we talking about dialects or about accents? Nov 22, 2005

Although this topic is a little bit old, I'd be interrested in knowing how Michele Fauble and sarahl differentiate Parisian and/or Anjou French from other sorts of French
As a native French speaker, I must say I do not know any difference between them!
And even if there was, this would not make up a dialect...

Well now, to answer the question : I speak German mostly with a southern accent, and Russian with U
... See more
Although this topic is a little bit old, I'd be interrested in knowing how Michele Fauble and sarahl differentiate Parisian and/or Anjou French from other sorts of French
As a native French speaker, I must say I do not know any difference between them!
And even if there was, this would not make up a dialect...

Well now, to answer the question : I speak German mostly with a southern accent, and Russian with Ukrainian accent (+ my own French accent of course ). But I do not speak any dialect in any language.

[Edited at 2005-11-22 12:45]
Collapse

SpeakingWorld
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:22
English to German
a little bit of this and a little bit of that Jan 30, 2007

I am a native German speaker and besides the High German I am fluent in the dialect of the place where I've been born. It is a kind of "Platt".
I am also quite fluently in Dutch and have been said that I have a lot of "Tessels" in my words.
After travelling quite often to Ireland and beeing an Irish Folk musician for more than 20 years now my English seems to be influenced by this.
Now, living at the Westcoast of Scotland with a partner who speaks quite a lot of "Scots" in a
... See more
I am a native German speaker and besides the High German I am fluent in the dialect of the place where I've been born. It is a kind of "Platt".
I am also quite fluently in Dutch and have been said that I have a lot of "Tessels" in my words.
After travelling quite often to Ireland and beeing an Irish Folk musician for more than 20 years now my English seems to be influenced by this.
Now, living at the Westcoast of Scotland with a partner who speaks quite a lot of "Scots" in a - ehm - extreme version (sorry, dear) I have been told that I sound more and more Scottish.

When I am tired and unable to concentrate I noticed that I am mixing everything up.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Do you speak a dialect in your foreign language?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search