Bilingual Home Schooling
Thread poster: Marna Renteria
Marna Renteria
Marna Renteria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:48
Spanish to English
Apr 17, 2006

Does anyone know about home schooling curriculums that would help a limited English proficiency parent educate a child? I am thinking there could be a module that would help the parent learn while the child learns, too. Even a low-educated parent could teach the child up to a certain point, especially universal concepts such as math and science. After a certain level, maybe an educated teacher could take it from there, and help teach more than one child and the parent.

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
English to Swedish
+ ...
Maybe not for bilinguals.... Apr 18, 2006

I don't know if this would help a bilingial family, but we use a program called K12 (www.k12.com) thorugh a virtual charter school. It's a public school, so it's free and they even loan you a computer and a printer and reimburse ISP charges. Anyway, I think pretty much anyone can homeschool with their material. Since it's actually a public school, you also have a teacher/teachers assigned. The best way to find out abo... See more
I don't know if this would help a bilingial family, but we use a program called K12 (www.k12.com) thorugh a virtual charter school. It's a public school, so it's free and they even loan you a computer and a printer and reimburse ISP charges. Anyway, I think pretty much anyone can homeschool with their material. Since it's actually a public school, you also have a teacher/teachers assigned. The best way to find out about the program is to just visit the website. I find that I am learning all sorts of things just from my middle school kids' curriculum. The curriculum goes, like the nsame suggests, from Kindergarten to 12th grade. The virtual academy option is not available in all states, though.

[Edited at 2006-04-18 02:01]
Collapse

Anne Grimes
Anne Grimes
Canada
Local time: 03:48
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
homeschooling Apr 18, 2006

I am homeschooling my kids with the ABeka program, you can find the system on abeka.com. It is a christian homeschooling program, and it is not free, but well worth the money. It is well designed for anyone to teach, the students' editions are very self explanatory, and they have teacher/parent editions, lesson plans, curriculum plans, etc. Everything is well organized and very well done. My children love the workbooks, because they are so easy to understand, colourful, fun and interesting. The ... See more
I am homeschooling my kids with the ABeka program, you can find the system on abeka.com. It is a christian homeschooling program, and it is not free, but well worth the money. It is well designed for anyone to teach, the students' editions are very self explanatory, and they have teacher/parent editions, lesson plans, curriculum plans, etc. Everything is well organized and very well done. My children love the workbooks, because they are so easy to understand, colourful, fun and interesting. The courses go from K to 12 as well, and they have a college program as well. There is also a DVD program that's new, which lets the child view the virtual classroom and participate in the lesson, so the parent does not actually have to do much of the teaching. Anyway, it is all explained on the website.
It is not very expensive either, because the school at which we are registered reimburses us the money we spend on books every year. They have language courses as well, French and Spanish I believe.
Anne
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Bilingual Home Schooling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »