Off topic: poliglot for translator..?
Thread poster: Vadasectia
Vadasectia
Vadasectia
Indonesia
English
Nov 18, 2007

Hi all.. I'm new here.

First of all I'm Vremita, 18 years old, from Indonesia.

I found this site unintendedly when browsing through internet.. And when I took a look, I just thought, "This is just what I need.."

I love to learn foreign languages. I'm native Indonesian. My mother languages are Indonesian and Javanese, and I speak English as my second language.
At the age of 10 I learnt Arabic at school, but didn't find the joy of learning foreign langu
... See more
Hi all.. I'm new here.

First of all I'm Vremita, 18 years old, from Indonesia.

I found this site unintendedly when browsing through internet.. And when I took a look, I just thought, "This is just what I need.."

I love to learn foreign languages. I'm native Indonesian. My mother languages are Indonesian and Javanese, and I speak English as my second language.
At the age of 10 I learnt Arabic at school, but didn't find the joy of learning foreign language yet.
I started to learn Russian at 13 when I got into junior high school, and continued with Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian afterwards.
When I was 15, in 9th grade, I got interested with Romance languages, such as Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and I learnt them, but I only master French and Italian.
When I was 16 years old, in first year high school, I met some Turkish people in town and learnt Turkish with them. It was very fast; never thought I'd learn Turkish before..!
The next year I got a boyfriend with Chinese background, then I had to learn Chinese in anyway.
When I was 17, I joined a cultural program in Singapore and learned a little Thai, Tagalog, and Kazakh.
Now I am 18, and I'm studying Dutch for some family reason, german because I'm planning to continue my study there, and Greek, just for fun.

It's fun to speak many languages; I'll never know when I'll need them. And I do find the benefits of it.

Many people had told me that I should do something more with my languages. For example, in international politics, translating, or linguistics, etc.
But I'm not interested with those. I'm into science, I love Biology and Chemistry and want to get into medical school. I want to be a doctor. This seems to be funny, and poeple always regret it. My parents, however, always let me do my best.

I often get offerings to translate books, or some notes, etc, but I seldom found the fun in it: I had to adaptate with pages of passage for doctoral studies, in a language which is not my mother tongue, while I'm still a high school student with limited knowledge of such topics. I should be studying for my final exam..

But if I reject the offer, people would likely say such "With those languages, she won't help with this..? It's just no use"

All these times I learnt languages just for fun, it's one of my hobbies, to refresh my mind after dealing with Biot-Savart, gene control, etc.. and to make friends with people from all over the world, know their cultures, try their special food recipes, enjoy their songs and music..

When I see professional translators' work, here at proz, I often think, "what a good work, why can't I enjoy translating like them..?" I know I'd benefit more if I do translating, but.. I just don't find the sould in it..
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
Hello and welcome Nov 19, 2007

If you know what you want, which seems to be a doctor, in my opinion you should do just that. And if you enjoy languages because they refresh your mind as you say, or as a tool to meet new and different people, I think that's wonderful.

Let people say what they want, not everyone is born to be a translator, wether they speak two or twenty languages. You are your own boss, and you will do well the things that only you decide to do. Knowing languages may serve you in any profession y
... See more
If you know what you want, which seems to be a doctor, in my opinion you should do just that. And if you enjoy languages because they refresh your mind as you say, or as a tool to meet new and different people, I think that's wonderful.

Let people say what they want, not everyone is born to be a translator, wether they speak two or twenty languages. You are your own boss, and you will do well the things that only you decide to do. Knowing languages may serve you in any profession you choose, anyway.

Good luck!
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 07:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe later... Nov 19, 2007

Hello, Vremita.

I agree completely with Anne. At your age, with so many possibilities before you, don't even think about committing yourself to a profession that you don't enjoy! I love translating, but I can see how many people would find it extremely tedious.

Interpreting, maybe? You seem to be very sociable, and quick. But for now, I would say, do what you want! You're fortunate to have supportive parents. Go to medical school, by all means!

Sometime la
... See more
Hello, Vremita.

I agree completely with Anne. At your age, with so many possibilities before you, don't even think about committing yourself to a profession that you don't enjoy! I love translating, but I can see how many people would find it extremely tedious.

Interpreting, maybe? You seem to be very sociable, and quick. But for now, I would say, do what you want! You're fortunate to have supportive parents. Go to medical school, by all means!

Sometime later in life you may find you want to do some translating. Here on ProZ you'll find there are doctors, lawyers, architects, and professionals from many other fields who either do translating as well as their main profession, or who have left active practice to become full-time translators. Some would say they're crazy, but if it's what they want to do, that's great for them.

Meanwhile, you're very welcome to visit and participate here at ProZ. Keep your options open!

I wish you the best of luck. And I envy you your talent and opportunities for learning so many languages!

Jane
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

poliglot for translator..?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »