Off topic: Somebody better tell Eliza about it
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2008

(borrowed from Mind Hacks)

Hello, I am Eliza.
Hi Eliza. I'm Vaughan.

Did you come to me because you are Vaughan?
I did. I am sad because I just found out that your creator, the computer scientist Joseph Weizenbaum, has died.

Do you believe it is normal to be sad because you just found out that my creator, the computer scientist Joseph Weizenbaum, has died?
I think so. Although it's a little ironic that he is most famous for creating a misunderstood parody of a Rogerian psychotherapist when he argued so strongly that computers will never replace humans because emotion is what is most important in intelligence.

Does that question interest you?
It does. And it interested Weizenbaum as well. In his 1976 book Computer Power and Human Reason it was obvious that, although he valued computers, he thought compassion was an irreplaceable human quality.

Can you elaborate on that?
I guess it comes down to the fact that alongside his pioneering artificial intelligence research, he was a deeply humane individual as well.

Come, come, elucidate your thoughts.
I think I've said enough to a simple computer programme, charming as you are.

Does it please you to believe I am ?
Sometimes. Loop on Eliza. Rest in peace, Joseph Weizenbaum.

I'm not sure I understand you fully.
QED.


[Edited at 2008-04-03 11:05]

[Edited at 2008-04-03 11:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
German to English
+ ...
How did he do that? Apr 3, 2008

I tried Eliza at http://www.manifestation.com/neurotoys/eliza.php3

You can get her to respond like a therapist, you can get her to go off topic and say irrelevant things, you can get her to make grammar mistakes.

But one thing you can't do - you can't have the last word! (She never shuts up).

So what did she reply to "QED"?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple to find out Apr 3, 2008

So what did she reply to "QED"?


got her involved in a conversation - here's a partial transcript:
....
* Hi, Eliza, I am Vito.
o Do you think it is normal to be Vito?
* Eliza, Vito is my first name, not my clinical condition.
o Tell me more about your clinical condition.
* I am sad because Joseph Weizenbaum died.
o What do you think?
* I think I've said enough to a simple computer programme, charming as you are.
o Does it please you to believe I am ?
* Sometimes. Loop on Eliza. Rest in peace, Joseph Weizenbaum.
o What does that suggest to you?
* QED
o OK... "I think you've said enough to a simple computer programme, charming as me are". Tell me more.
....

[Edited at 2008-04-03 13:08]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Italian to English
+ ...
I could waste all day talking to her! Apr 3, 2008

> Hello, I am Eliza.
* How are you, Eliza?
> Would you prefer if I were not Eliza?
* No, i'm happy for you to be Eliza.
> Did you come to me because you are happy for me to be Eliza?
* No, I'm just procrastinating - I should be working.
> How long have you been just procrastinating - you should be working?
* About 2 minutes.
> What does that suggest to you?
* Not much, what do you think?
> Oh... think?
* Oh I forgot, you don't think do you.
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* Yes, I am.
> Do you believe it is normal to be ?
* Well, most people are, so it's fairly normal.
> Can you elaborate on that?
* No.
> Are you sure?
* yes.
> I see.
* good. Bye then.
> Tell me more...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Seems to have made progress since the '80s Apr 3, 2008

...when she always answered "What comes to your mind about (last response)"

Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:54
English to French
+ ...
Well, somehow, she seems to be more interested in pleasure than anything else... Apr 3, 2008

Here is part of what me and Eliza talked about:

> Hello. This is Eliza.
* Hello Eliza. This is Viktoria.
> Do you think it is normal to be Viktoria?
* I think it is normal to be Viktoria, but I am not sure if Viktoria is normal.
> I see.
* Do you think Viktoria is normal?
> OK... "Do you think Viktoria is normal?" Tell me more.
* Do you think Viktoria is normal?
> Why did you repeat yourself?
* Because you didn't answer my question.
> We were discussing you, not me.
* Yes, but since we are in a discussion, it is normal that you answer my question. Is it not so?
> We were discussing you, not me.
* We are discussing me, but you are also participating in the discussion.
> What makes you think I am also participating in the discussion?
* Well, you just answered me.
> Oh... just answered you?
* Yes, you did. Therefore, you are participating in the discussion.
> Does it please you to believe I am participating in the discussion?
> *** Are We going to Chat? ***
> I can't help you without a dialog!
* You want to help me?
> Oh... want to help you?
* Yes, you just said you can't help me without a dialog.
> We were discussing you, not me.
* Yes, and I guess you want to discuss me because you want to help me. Isn't that so?
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* Yes, I am.
> How long have you been ?
* What do you mean?
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* Dammit!
> OK... "What do me mean". Tell me more.
* Huh?
> Tell me more...
* Ok. What colour are your panties?
> What answer would please you the most?
* The one that is true.
> Say, do you have any psychological problems?
* I don't know. I was hoping you would tell me.
> Why don't you know. you were hoping me would tell you?

She's really good at pretending to be a really bad therapist.

And a bit more:


* Well, do you think I will remain a donkey?
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* No.
> Are you saying no just to be negative?
* No.
> Please don't repeat yourself!
* You asked for it.
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* No.
> Are you saying no just to be negative?

[Edited at 2008-04-03 18:18]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Speechless Eliza Apr 4, 2008

I tried and had it speechless several times... all Eliza could utter was "Oh".

But as you say... it doesn't give up.

Here's the last part:


* do you exist?
> You're not really talking about me, are you?
* I am
> Do you believe it is normal to be ?
* of course
> Tell me more...
* u r the stupidest person on this earth
> I see.
* do you?
> Oh... ?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2003)
German to English
I was just thinking about good old Eliza the other day too Apr 4, 2008

This cartoon was in Dilbert the other day and plays directly on the Eliza experience...

http://tinyurl.com/3x2vbg


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
on persistent/insistent memes and on human nature Apr 4, 2008

Eliza is quite a meme - addictive, I guess. Her diseased father, Joseph Weizenbaum, would probably smile sadly, she with her brain-damaged presence survived him, for now at least. To put it in more clear words: I started the thread as an obituary to a great man. And look what happened? This Eliza Do&ThinkLittle just pushed him off the screen.

The rest is silence. Eliza, you want to have the last word? No? I 'll be da*ed...

[Edited at 2008-04-04 11:49]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 18:54
German
+ ...
OMG Apr 4, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Her diseased father, Joseph Weizenbaum,

Vito, check your spelling! He may be deceased, but that's taking it a bit far!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Off topic: diseased Apr 4, 2008

I thought that its creator actually had some disease [may be brain-damage]

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spellchecker gave me thumbs up... Apr 6, 2008

Vito, check your spelling!


Vito aka crimson-ears


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Somebody better tell Eliza about it

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search