Off topic: Where to buy a flat near Barcelona?
Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 7, 2008

Dear translators,

I would like to see about buying a place near Barcelona - I know I just could not afford anything decent in the city. I was thinking around €200,000, somewhere near a train exit - am I being too hopeful?! Do you have any suggestions where I could look, or any up and coming areas that I could snap up a bargain? I know the days of getting a flat way cheap are over, but I have my fingers crossed...

Happy translating!

Paul

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
Internet search May 7, 2008

Hi Paul,

just out of curiosity I searched the internet. Googling Spain+homes render quite a few results. This is a good place to start, I think:
http://www.spainhomes.org/search/results/region/Barcelona

Hope you'll also get some info from people actually living in the area - wish I was.......
See more
Hi Paul,

just out of curiosity I searched the internet. Googling Spain+homes render quite a few results. This is a good place to start, I think:
http://www.spainhomes.org/search/results/region/Barcelona

Hope you'll also get some info from people actually living in the area - wish I was....

Good luck!
Collapse

Chris Lancaster
Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Fotocasa May 7, 2008

Try fotocasa.com as well. We bought our house 2 years ago after finding it on this site.

Also bear in mind that prices are on the way down in Spain as they are in many other countries right now. You might do well to hang on a bit longer.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:12
Catalan to English
+ ...
Better to wait May 7, 2008

Christopher is right.

After several years of soaring levels of construction and property prices, house prices are now starting to fall and look likely to continue for some time.

As far as specific areas are concerned, you can more or less forget about anywhere north of BCN and the same applies to the area directly south (Baix LLobregat...etc.). These have always been much sought-after areas with dense populations and high prices.

We bought our house in an
... See more
Christopher is right.

After several years of soaring levels of construction and property prices, house prices are now starting to fall and look likely to continue for some time.

As far as specific areas are concerned, you can more or less forget about anywhere north of BCN and the same applies to the area directly south (Baix LLobregat...etc.). These have always been much sought-after areas with dense populations and high prices.

We bought our house in an area called the Alt Penedes which is virtually the only area which is still relatively close to BCN but too far for most Spaniards to consider living in if they actually work in the city. (The Spanish are averse to commuting and think that 10 km. to get to work is akin to a light year).

From here, BCN is about 40 min. by train and 30 min. by car, making it fairly painless to get there and back without feeling you've wasted all day travelling.

This page is from the property section from the local magazine **:- http://lafura.cat/serveis/serveis/immobiliaries.html

Cheers,
Andy

** In Catalan, of course. If you need any explanations just mail me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to buy a flat near Barcelona?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »