Off topic: Moving to France
Thread poster: silver_galaxy
silver_galaxy
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
May 14, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am moving to southern France for my husband's studies and will be there for a few years. I've never been and don't speak French (other than the handful of words I picked up from films). I am envisioning myself enrolling in a sort of intensive language program, such as one offered by the eife2f or Tandem international. Does anyone know anything about either of these (i.e. quality, etc.)? Would you recommend another school/program? I have also started searching for housing. The two sites I am using are pap.fr and fnaim.fr. However, I'd like to know a few more sites to expand my options, since the listings on the mentioned sites are relatively limited.

I have about a gazillion more questions, but I shall limit myself to these two important ones for now. Thank you for your help.

Ngan

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:18
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
These might help May 14, 2008

Hi Ngan,
I don't know anything about the two language courses that you mentioned, but when I first arrived, I took a class with FLE http://www.fle.fr/
I would definitely recommend it to anyone, but one thing to keep in mind is that it is not intensive (at least not in Rennes), but that is why I chose it (the University offers a more intensive course, you might think of looking in your area).

As for finding a place to stay, try http://www.seloger.com/ When we were looking to buy our place, this site and www.pap.fr helped us the most (we finally found our place through the pap site).
Good luck!
Cheers,
Sara

[Edited at 2008-05-14 09:46]

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
total immersion May 14, 2008

Hi,

I wouldn't belittle the importance that classes/lessons can play, by all means find something that suits your needs, but the fact that you are going to be there for a few years means you will be totally immersed in French culture - and consequently you will probably pick up a lot more than you realise, and quickly.

Good luck, or should I say "Bonne chance")

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
Grammar + Total immerson. May 14, 2008

Total immerson only works if you combine it with classes. In my youth I went to the Universidad the Salamanca in the morning, lived in Spain and went to cultural events organised by the same university.
Grammar is the backbone of the language. If you do not master grammar, you will only assimilate words, have an understanding of the language, but not know how to express yourself.
Eh, bonne chance....

Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Try this website May 14, 2008

This expat site might be useful: http://www.expatica.com/fr/main.html

silver_galaxy
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 14, 2008

Hi Sara, I just took a break and checked out the link you gave. THANK YOU! The search definitely yielded a lot more ads, and the rent rates seemed to be much more reasonable/affordable (for us) than what I'd seen on the other sites. This is wonderful. Merci. BTW, do you know if France/Lyon has a high/low renting season and if yes, when? In the Boston areas, where I currently reside, the best time to find a place is between August-September, when the leases are usually up for renewal.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes and advice. I agree that immersion+classes is a winning combo. Just have to resist the mass of English speakers living/working in Lyon.

Best,

Ngan

Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Try to avoid August if you can May 15, 2008

Hi Ngan,
Glad to hear that the site was useful. Honestly, I have no idea about high/low renting seasons, but what I can tell you is that when we moved to France it was in August and it was really difficult trying to find a place to rent. Lots of people go on holiday then, and as a result, a lot of businesses are either closed or working with a skeleton crew. We called several different agencies to try to look at places and we would be told that there was only 1 person working in the office, so we'd have to wait about a week to be able to even visit a potential place...

silver_galaxy
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the august warning! May 16, 2008

We're still working out our moving date, so this is a valuable piece of advice!

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Where are you moving to? May 28, 2008

Hi, I live in the South of France, where are you moving to?

John

silver_galaxy
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lyon May 30, 2008

Hi John,

We're moving to Lyon. Are you based there by any chance?

Ngan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to France

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search