Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What sites are you most guilty of procrastinating in?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 28, 2008

I'm starting this evil thread inspired by today's poll
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/105775-poll:_do_you_surf_the_web_for_unrelated_topics_when_you_should_be_working-.html

So, which sites do you find yourself sneaking to when you're supposed to be working? Let's share them here,
... See more
I'm starting this evil thread inspired by today's poll
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/105775-poll:_do_you_surf_the_web_for_unrelated_topics_when_you_should_be_working-.html

So, which sites do you find yourself sneaking to when you're supposed to be working? Let's share them here, to get others hooked too and weaken the competition

Mine are www.youtube.com (obviously), Scramble (a live wordsearch game which is a Facebook application) http://apps.facebook.com/scramblegame/index.php?mode=live , and the BBC website in general - one link just takes me to another.
Oh, and Kudoz
Collapse

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:53
German to Italian
+ ...
Nice thread ;) May 28, 2008

My greatest temptations are YouTube, Facebook, aNobii (great literary community, in case you don't know it!) and my favourite forums, particularly the one where I am moderator.
Maybe deleting the quick-launch buttons from my Firefox toolbar would help: having them just a click away all the time is too much of a temptation!

Christiane Boehm (X)
Christiane Boehm (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Wikipedia May 28, 2008

Very good idea! (The thread)

I also love Youtube and I like Wikipedia. Or I just google around. Every now and then, something gets into my mind, something I find really really important. I search for information on google or read Wikipedia articles - one week later I can't even remember what it was or why I it was that important to me.
I guess it's what they call digital dementia.

[Bearbeite
... See more
Very good idea! (The thread)

I also love Youtube and I like Wikipedia. Or I just google around. Every now and then, something gets into my mind, something I find really really important. I search for information on google or read Wikipedia articles - one week later I can't even remember what it was or why I it was that important to me.
I guess it's what they call digital dementia.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-28 22:00]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Wikipedia also May 28, 2008

This article was brought to my attention earlier today, on a football forum...yes, yes, I should have been working, blah blah blah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_articles

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Quizzes in general... May 28, 2008

I'm a sucker for quizzes and now you mention it there was a site mentioned in the Times a few weeks ago where you had a fixed time to name all the countries in Europe, or states in America, or football teams in the Premiership..... whatever, which afforded me hours of procrastination! Unfortunately I just can't remember the name of the site to get another fix - probably just as well really! I normally end up doing them last thing at night, just before I switch off the computer, then realise I'm ... See more
I'm a sucker for quizzes and now you mention it there was a site mentioned in the Times a few weeks ago where you had a fixed time to name all the countries in Europe, or states in America, or football teams in the Premiership..... whatever, which afforded me hours of procrastination! Unfortunately I just can't remember the name of the site to get another fix - probably just as well really! I normally end up doing them last thing at night, just before I switch off the computer, then realise I'm still switched on an hour later, and, what's worse, have got my teenage son hooked as well! He was much better at the premiership teams than me too.....

Ah hah - managed to track it down at last! Just don't ask how long I've spent putting various search combinations into google to jog my memory!

www.sporcle.com - see if you can do any better with the periodic table than I did!

[Edited at 2008-05-28 22:39]
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
facebook May 28, 2008

I am afraid it's facebook and other networking sites...I know, I know terible! and ... ebay!:grin:

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great May 28, 2008

Claire Cox wrote:

Ah hah - managed to track it down at last! Just don't ask how long I've spent putting various search combinations into google to jog my memory!

www.sporcle.com - see if you can do any better with the periodic table than I did!

[Edited at 2008-05-28 22:39]

Good thing you found it. I was about to beg you to search for it - it's just the sort of things l think I'll like. Also reminds me of another Facebook application I was addicted to until I beat all my friends to the top - the Traveller's IQ Challenge, which consisted finding cities, landmarks and obscure places on a world map as quickly as possible. After a while, I could easily find Nauru, Tuvalu and St. Kitts and Nevis with amazing accuracy!

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
English to Italian
music, food and books May 28, 2008

Another fan of youtube here, mainly for music videos or fun/silly stuff.

When I really don't want to work and want to spend some time hanging around the Web, I usually read Italian newspapers, or check a couple of food & cooking websites (the Italian www.cooker.net , the American www.foodtv.com).

I'm semi-add
... See more
Another fan of youtube here, mainly for music videos or fun/silly stuff.

When I really don't want to work and want to spend some time hanging around the Web, I usually read Italian newspapers, or check a couple of food & cooking websites (the Italian www.cooker.net , the American www.foodtv.com).

I'm semi-addicted to a lovely website called Bookmooch, been swapping books for a couple of years and I'm always looking in there to see what good book I can find: www.bookmooch.com
Collapse

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
Well... May 29, 2008

The internet access in my company (in-house) is strictly controlled and monitored, but me writing here is a proof that I can find creative way of blending work and pleasure Basically, the only two sites I visit from work are ProZ and Google Reader (with tons of feeds I subscribe to - guess the blacklisting doesn't include RSS feeds, hyuk, hyuk).

I'm not sure I could call what I'm doing procrastination - when I actuall
... See more
The internet access in my company (in-house) is strictly controlled and monitored, but me writing here is a proof that I can find creative way of blending work and pleasure Basically, the only two sites I visit from work are ProZ and Google Reader (with tons of feeds I subscribe to - guess the blacklisting doesn't include RSS feeds, hyuk, hyuk).

I'm not sure I could call what I'm doing procrastination - when I actually have things to translate/meetings to interpret I tend to be pretty diligent, but in general the flow of work is rather unsteady - there are times when I'm so busy that I can barely find time to go to the restroom and then there are times like now, when I only get an email or two to translate, but I still have to spend 8 hours in the office...
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
ProZ May 29, 2008

Right now, for example. Instead of typing this post, I should be working on my translation.

Wikipedia also is addictive. All those little inviting links that can be clicked... You start out looking up a machine part and end up reading about the Spanish inquisition.

Great thread!

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
My interests May 29, 2008

Sites related to my interests. I have quite a few saved in my Bookmarks, so they are just one click away

Anni

Evangelia Mouma
Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
great thread May 29, 2008

Now I will be visiting all the sites you mentioned, aNobii to start with and bookmooch, instead of working. Nice little break.
But usually I am very diligent. I youtube from time to time but generally I leave all this for the end of the day. Then, I read the news from a Greek site, I read National Geographic, watch their videos etc and go to Google Earth: there you have to drag me from my chair.

Evangelia
... See more
Now I will be visiting all the sites you mentioned, aNobii to start with and bookmooch, instead of working. Nice little break.
But usually I am very diligent. I youtube from time to time but generally I leave all this for the end of the day. Then, I read the news from a Greek site, I read National Geographic, watch their videos etc and go to Google Earth: there you have to drag me from my chair.

Evangelia

[Edited at 2008-05-29 09:28]
Collapse

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google Reader May 29, 2008

And all the feeds I have there...

N.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Proz and The Guardian May 29, 2008

But thanks guys, you've provided me with lots of new ideas for not getting on with my work...

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
ravelry May 29, 2008

I love looking at all those future projects I could be knitting in my spare (!) time...
And getting to know like-minded folks from around the globe.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What sites are you most guilty of procrastinating in?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »