Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Stereotypes: How are the following groups seen by society?
Thread poster: Rosina Peixoto
Rosina Peixoto
Rosina Peixoto  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2008

Describe in a single sentence how they would be stereotyped in your society.

Examples:

The elderly: too old to understand.

Parents: always have the last word.

Teachers: think they know everything.

Teenage girls: mature faster than boys.

Teenage boys: are always chasing girls.

Footballers: don´t deserve to be rich.

(your nationality): Uruguayans are lazy. (We are not!) It´s just a stereotype!

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 21:19
English to Spanish
In Mexico Jun 3, 2008

The elderly: Must be treated tenderly.

Mother: The Boss.

Father: The Absent.

Teachers: Respected.

Teenage girls: Clever.

Teenage boys: Loud.

Footballers: Much-admired.

Mexicans: ¡Fiestaaaa!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nice one :-) Jun 3, 2008

The elderly: To be respected.

Mothers: Overly kind, protects the kids from the dad

Fathers: Distant

Teachers: The underdogs of society

Teenage girls: Must be restrained until the get married

Teenage boys: Uncontrollable

Footballers: The heroes of the people or the enemies of the people (depending on whether they win or lose)

Egyptians: Love to tell jokes about themselves (but don't non-Egyptians dare do th
... See more
The elderly: To be respected.

Mothers: Overly kind, protects the kids from the dad

Fathers: Distant

Teachers: The underdogs of society

Teenage girls: Must be restrained until the get married

Teenage boys: Uncontrollable

Footballers: The heroes of the people or the enemies of the people (depending on whether they win or lose)

Egyptians: Love to tell jokes about themselves (but don't non-Egyptians dare do the same!)
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Translators? Jun 3, 2008

Translators? As a profession every nitwit who knows a foreign language and has a computer can do and as people who are so business-minded that they give discounts when two words in the source text are the same. Something you do when you are not capable of doing anything else (former London stock-broker).
Lawyers? When two words are the same, they charge extra...
Doctors?
Business consultants?
Plumbers?

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
BMW drivers Jun 3, 2008

Incapable of making an independent choice

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
English to Spanish
Fun rather than accuracy Jun 3, 2008

The elderly: A nuisance. Intolerant, bad-tempered and clumsy, but they look after the kids when parents can´t.

Mothers: A witch or the best person in the planet, depending on whether she´s in a good mood or not.

Fathers: Those members of the familiy who come back from work at dinner time too tired to talk to anyone and enjoy football or motorbike races on Sundays.

Teachers: Know-it-alls who spend far too long on holidays.

Teenage girls: Far t
... See more
The elderly: A nuisance. Intolerant, bad-tempered and clumsy, but they look after the kids when parents can´t.

Mothers: A witch or the best person in the planet, depending on whether she´s in a good mood or not.

Fathers: Those members of the familiy who come back from work at dinner time too tired to talk to anyone and enjoy football or motorbike races on Sundays.

Teachers: Know-it-alls who spend far too long on holidays.

Teenage girls: Far too savvy for their own good these days.

Teenage boys: All they want to do is laze around.

Footballers: Heroes or a useless gang, depending on the match results.

Spaniards: Are we truly European?
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
In Denmark (as I see it)... Jun 3, 2008

The elderly: are a burden on society (and to the tax payers).

Parents: are stressed and hard-working, and don't have enough time for their kids.

Teachers: are overburdened and underpaid, but have a 7-week summer holiday.

Teenage girls: dress too daringly, like to shop and party a lot, but do well in school.

Teenage boys: have their pants hanging very low (underwear showing) and play computer games all day.

Footballers: should try h
... See more
The elderly: are a burden on society (and to the tax payers).

Parents: are stressed and hard-working, and don't have enough time for their kids.

Teachers: are overburdened and underpaid, but have a 7-week summer holiday.

Teenage girls: dress too daringly, like to shop and party a lot, but do well in school.

Teenage boys: have their pants hanging very low (underwear showing) and play computer games all day.

Footballers: should try harder to make to national team (which is not doing too well at the moment).

The Danes: Danes are jovial and the most happy people in the world (according to surveys) but are terribly tax-ridden.

[Edited at 2008-06-03 09:41]
Collapse

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 08:49
English to Tamil
+ ...
In India. . . Jun 3, 2008

The elderly: are a burden on their children and the society

Parents: are dictators.

Teachers: are underpaid and not given due respect.

Teenage girls: must be kept under control until she gets married.

Teenage boys: glued to computers all day.

Footballers: are poor cousin to cricketers (Cricket is our unofficial national sport).

Indians: are hard-working people (Are we?). It's just a stereotype!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:19
English to French
+ ...
In Quebec Jun 3, 2008

Given that I am a woman, these comments are from a female perspective (not mine, the general female population's)

The elderly: There's just too many of them - but it's nice to have them when you have kids
Parents: Don't you say anything mean about their kids, or else...
Mothers: Man of the house, control freak, etc.
Fathers: Can't be bothered - like kids when they're clean and happy, otherwise couldn't care less
Teenage girls: piece of meat
Teenage boys
... See more
Given that I am a woman, these comments are from a female perspective (not mine, the general female population's)

The elderly: There's just too many of them - but it's nice to have them when you have kids
Parents: Don't you say anything mean about their kids, or else...
Mothers: Man of the house, control freak, etc.
Fathers: Can't be bothered - like kids when they're clean and happy, otherwise couldn't care less
Teenage girls: piece of meat
Teenage boys: piece of meat
Hockey players: Self-proclaimed gods who are paid too much
Politicians: Money wasters and money launderers (why do people imagine corruption is only present in Columbia?)
Policemen: pigs if they are male, chicken if they are female
Teachers: people who make your kids stray from the path you've taught them
Québecois: Simple, hardworking people not particularly interested in riches (if you are from the Rest of Canada, the description is far worse save for a few exceptions)
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 21:19
English to Spanish
Two questions about the elderly Jun 3, 2008

Based on your responses:
Rosina Peixoto = Too old to understand.
Elena Robles Sanjuan = A nuisance. Intolerant, bad-tempered and clumsy, but they look after the kids when parents can´t.
Jørgen Madsen = are a burden on society (and to the tax payers).
Viktoria Gimbe = There's just too many of them - but it's nice to have them when you have kids.

I'd like to know what do you think it should b
... See more
Based on your responses:
Elena Robles Sanjuan = A nuisance. Intolerant, bad-tempered and clumsy, but they look after the kids when parents can´t.
Viktoria Gimbe = There's just too many of them - but it's nice to have them when you have kids.

I'd like to know what do you think it should be done with the elderly? What will you do, or plan to do, when reaching that age?
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
When I become a burden... Jun 3, 2008

When I am too old to be of any use and will not have any goals in life anymore, when I feel lonely because all the people I truly loved are gone, when I am nothing more than a burden because I can't even take the garbage out anymore, I will simply refuse to take medication that is meant to make me younger.

I remember being particularly mad when I saw a TV ad asking the population to give money to research on Alzheimer's. I was shocked. Research money is needed for so many diseases,
... See more
When I am too old to be of any use and will not have any goals in life anymore, when I feel lonely because all the people I truly loved are gone, when I am nothing more than a burden because I can't even take the garbage out anymore, I will simply refuse to take medication that is meant to make me younger.

I remember being particularly mad when I saw a TV ad asking the population to give money to research on Alzheimer's. I was shocked. Research money is needed for so many diseases, many of which make young kids suffer, many of which cause premature death or lifelong suffering. Alzheimer's is a disease that only affects people in their sixties at its earliest, but in most cases, it comes around when you start becoming a burden. Why would we want to spend money to help heal people who, for the most part, have nothing left to live through when we could be using that money to heal people who are still productive members of society, who are not even old enough yet to have kids and who have their entire lives ahead of them? Mind you, people who have Alzheimer's almost don't have any suffering other than being afraid of forgetting something - compare that kind of suffering to someone who has arthrosis pain each and every waking hour at age 28. (My opinion may be biased by the fact that I have people in my entourage who are not even thirty yet, have rare diseases and nobody is doing any research because a rare disease doesn't kill nearly as many people as cancer or heart disease - I find Alzheimer's research unfair for these people.)

So, what I would do (and I'm saying this now - I might change my mind later, since I will not know what it feels like to be an elderly before I get to that point) is to refuse to take medication whose main purpose is to make me live longer. Past a certain age, the only medication I find useful is palliative medication. In North America (this may be so in Europe as well, I don't know), we have a culture that is making the elderly live long BY FORCE. Some of these people are not even fit anymore to make decisions about their medication and they don't even know why they take those 20 pills each day, which costs them (and by extension, costs us all) hundreds of dollars each month.

I don't want to become a burden for my family and friends, and I don't want to become a burden for society. So, when I get to the point where the prospect of life is equally as exciting as the prospect of death, I will not commit suicide, but I will refuse to get medication other than painkillers. I will also refuse heart surgery at age 84 - what's the use of that?

Otherwise, I respect old people - and I am saddened by the fact that they are being exploited by the pharmaceutical industry, and that society as a whole is by extension getting exploited as well.

[Edited at 2008-06-03 17:09]
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
My view on the elderly and getting old Jun 3, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:
I'd like to know what do you think it should be done with the elderly? What will you do, or plan to do, when reaching that age?

The elderly should be treating with respect. Period. We stand on their shoulders and we are what we are because of them. They build our societies. Similarly, we should raise and educate our kids to become responsible, honest and caring citizens.

As for getting old, I plan to become an old bilious critic constantly complaining over the state of the world. And then I hope to die before becoming dependent on others and without going to hospital.

Jørgen

Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
to Americans... Jun 3, 2008

The elderly: Cranky, complaining about how terrible the world is today, live in Florida

Parents: Overprotective of their kids

Teachers: Either overpaid or underpaid (nobody seems to think they are paid just the right amount)

Teenage girls: Shallow if they're pretty, mopey if they're not

Teenage boys: Dumb if they're well-built, nerdy if they're not

Footballers: "Uh, I guess brown with white stitches and- Wait, you did say 'football
... See more
The elderly: Cranky, complaining about how terrible the world is today, live in Florida

Parents: Overprotective of their kids

Teachers: Either overpaid or underpaid (nobody seems to think they are paid just the right amount)

Teenage girls: Shallow if they're pretty, mopey if they're not

Teenage boys: Dumb if they're well-built, nerdy if they're not

Footballers: "Uh, I guess brown with white stitches and- Wait, you did say 'footballs', right? What do you mean, 'football-ERS'? That's not a real word! Oh, you mean soccer players? I don't know, I've never seen one before."

Americans: Fat.
Collapse

Rosina Peixoto
Rosina Peixoto  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A misunderstanding. Jun 3, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Based on your responses:

Dear Tadzio,

I think you have misunderstood the topic. It´s not what you personally think of one group or another, it´s a stereotype.

Definition: A stereotype is a simplified and/or standardized conception or image with specific meaning, often held in common by people about another group. A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the other group hold in common.

I love elderly/old people. My mum, who is 86, lives on her own because she likes to be independent but we see each other daily as I live three blocks from her flat. We holiday together and she was a mum to my daughter. My father died at 81 and was a pleasure to be with. My grandpa, of whom I have the best memories, lived up to 100 and lived with us before I got married. So the cliché that three generations can´t live together is not always applicable to every case.

I just wanted to share my views on the elderly.

Cheers,

Rosina

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
re Alzheimer's Jun 3, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Alzheimer's is a disease that only affects people in their sixties at its earliest

Alzheimer's also affects carers ... a lot! That's one good reason why it needs to be researched.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stereotypes: How are the following groups seen by society?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »