Off topic: Jacaranda update
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:04
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2008

An update for those who kindly gave me advice about growing the Jacaranda seeds I brought back from Mexico:

It was amazingly difficult to open the pods - I had to use a hammer in the end, but succeeded in extracting the floaty little seeds.
According to your advice, I soaked some in hot water for 24 hours and then planted them in compost. Others I planted in compost without soaking.
The soaked ones started germinating two weeks later, the unsoaked ones about four weeks later, and I now have enough Jacaranda seedlings (about 6 inches high) to plant an orchard or avenue in due course. First of all I'll grow them indoors, of course, but may try one or two outdoors to see how they get on (we have a mild climate here in West Cornwall and hard frosts are extremely rare).
Thank you again, everyone.
Jenny

Direct link Reply with quote

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:04
English to Polish
+ ...
memories Jun 8, 2008

Hi Jenny, with your forum you brought back wonderful memories I have with Jakaranda trees. Thanks
Several years ago I lived in Pretoria SA, in a house called Jakaranda House with beautiful Jakaranda trees along the street. Gosh! What a wonderful time it was!
Enjoy your Sunday and your Jakaranda seedlings
Cheers, Ewa

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Interesting Jun 8, 2008

Didn't see your original posting, and was just browsing. I think there's one of these in a garden I drive past most days, flowering very nicely at the moment. Will try and look more closely! I'm in Oxfordshire.

P.S. Thank you Jack

[Edited at 2008-06-08 12:02]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Previous thread Jun 8, 2008

For Jenny's original posting, see http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/101756-growing_jacaranda_from_seeds.html

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:04
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
If you are ever travelling through Greece... Jun 8, 2008

... in the springtime, you may pass through the small sea-side town of Nafpaktos. Rich in the history of both Ancient and modern Greece it's center is particularly beautiful and picturesque. It's main square is lined with jacarandas and it is striking as you drive in.

Here's a photo of the main square and its trees, although it was taken at the "wrong" time as far as flowering is concerned.

If you turn your back on the square, you will see the tiny port and its Venetian fortifications

Lina

[Edited at 2008-06-08 11:37]

[Edited at 2008-06-09 11:02]

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Orchard indoors? Jun 9, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I now have enough Jacaranda seedlings (about 6 inches high) to plant an orchard or avenue in due course. First of all I'll grow them indoors, of course, but may try one or two outdoors to see how they get on

Are you going to plant an orchard in your house then? Your house must be huge!

Just kidding, I'm glad your Jacaranda project is getting on so well. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here Jun 9, 2008

Evonymus wrote:

Several years ago I lived in Pretoria SA, in a house called Jakaranda House with beautiful Jakaranda trees along the street. Gosh! What a wonderful time it was!

I also lived in the "Jacaranda City" (Pretoria, SA) - in my case, most of my adult life as it's where I went to university, lived and mostly worked (except for a few years in Johannesburg) - so this thread brings back fond memories for me too.

Very few sights outdo the view of Pretoria from the Union Buildings when the jacarandas are in bloom.

Sigh ... homesick again
Debs

PS: Jenny, I think they'd be quite resiliant to frost anyhow. We had a lot of frost in Pretoria, it regularly dips below zero point there - winter mornings are freezing!

[Edited at 2008-06-09 09:59]

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A palace ... Jun 9, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I now have enough Jacaranda seedlings (about 6 inches high) to plant an orchard or avenue in due course. First of all I'll grow them indoors, of course, but may try one or two outdoors to see how they get on

Are you going to plant an orchard in your house then? Your house must be huge!

Just kidding, I'm glad your Jacaranda project is getting on so well. Thanks for keeping us posted!

You're right, Margreet! I live in a palace - I'm one of those "translation princesses" we've been reading about in another forum thread here.
Maybe I should give up translation now that I've made my vast pile and concentrate on growing exotic plants in unsuitable climates.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Happily ever after Jun 9, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

You're right, Margreet! I live in a palace - I'm one of those "translation princesses" we've been reading about in another forum thread here.
Maybe I should give up translation now that I've made my vast pile and concentrate on growing exotic plants in unsuitable climates.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Well then Jenny, may you and your Jacarandas live happily ever after!

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Good luck Jun 9, 2008

Good luck with your outdoor attempts, Jenny. I grew some albizia (silk tree) seeds four or five years ago after falling in love with the trees and their pink silky tassles on a holiday in Pelion in Greece. I've managed to keep one of the seedlings growing on in pots, it's survived my divorce and several house moves from the West Coast of Scotland to the South-East of England, and it was planted outside in a sunny border in my garden in East Sussex last year. So far so good - no flowers yet, but it's a stocky little plant about 3 feet tall and I'm ever hopeful.....

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Species Aug 31, 2008

[FWIW!] Woops, mine was a blue catalpa flowering, not a jacarancda... nice though!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jacaranda update

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search