https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/10776-reselling_a_legislative_text_act.html

Off topic: Reselling a legislative text (Act)
Thread poster: Oema (X)
Oema (X)
Oema (X)
Suriname
Local time: 23:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 6, 2003

Hi everyone,

I am faced with the following matter and I am very interested in your opinion on this.

I translated the Investment Act (Suriname) for a client last year and now another party is interested in purchasing the document. Should I ask him the same price or should I deduct a percentage or half? I don\'t know, really, so I would appreciate some HELP in this! Thanks a lot.

Lanna Castellano
Lanna Castellano  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Italian to English
+ ...
reselling your translation May 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-06 18:40, Oema wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am faced with the following matter and I am very interested in your opinion on this.

I translated the Investment Act (Suriname) for a client last year and now another party is interested in purchasing the document. Should I ask him the same price or should I deduct a percentage or half? I don\'t know, really, so I would appreciate some HELP in this! Thanks ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-06 18:40, Oema wrote:

Hi everyone,

I translated the Investment Act (Suriname) for a client last year and now another party is interested in purchasing the document. Should I ask him the same price or should I deduct a percentage or half? I don\'t know, really, so I would appreciate some HELP in this! Thanks a lot.

The ethical solution is not to retranslate the same text for another client - if you have been paid for the first, it\'s no longer yours to sell. Transparency is the watchword: would you like it to be known that you have charged someone for something that you have already done? You should ask the original client, who might give you permission to re-use the translation, paid or unpaid, or might agree to be contacted direct. Don\'t tell the second client that you have done it unless you have permission to disclose that information - it would be a breach of confidence. It\'s tough, but you will gain kudos with your client - and I don\'t mean KudoZ! Best wishes, Lanna ▲ Collapse

Oema (X)
Oema (X)
Suriname
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copyright May 7, 2003

Thanks very much for your thoughts on the subject, Lanna.

However, I forgot to mention that I do have copyright of the text. Would I have to contact the client anyway? Because you are right, of course, we should do thing right, right?

Regards,

Oema

Oema (X)
Oema (X)
Suriname
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copyright May 7, 2003

Thanks very much for your thoughts on the subject, Lanna.

However, I forgot to mention that I do have copyright of the text. Would I have to contact the client anyway? Because you are right, of course, we should do thing right, right?

Regards,

Oema

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reselling a legislative text (Act)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »