https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/11082-question_of_ethics_translated_a_colleague_s_correspondence_and_got_him_in_trouble.html

Question of Ethics - translated a colleague\'s correspondence and got him in trouble
Thread poster: Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:19
French to English
+ ...
May 16, 2003

I have a question for anyone who can help me! I work full-time as a Project Manager for an inbound travel company in Scotland. Recently, there was an argument (via e-mail) between my Spanish colleague and one of our suppliers in Spain. I was asked to translate the correspondence, (part of my job here is to translate for the company\'s accounts department), and now my colleague is in a lot of trouble. This has left me feeling rather uncomfortable, especially as we share an office and work toget... See more
I have a question for anyone who can help me! I work full-time as a Project Manager for an inbound travel company in Scotland. Recently, there was an argument (via e-mail) between my Spanish colleague and one of our suppliers in Spain. I was asked to translate the correspondence, (part of my job here is to translate for the company\'s accounts department), and now my colleague is in a lot of trouble. This has left me feeling rather uncomfortable, especially as we share an office and work together on a day-to-day basis.

I am beginning to think that I should have refused to do the translation in the first place - does anyone have any advice for me should this situation arise again?

Thanks!!

Paul
Collapse

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:19
English to French
+ ...
You have only done your job May 16, 2003

I f your translation was correct and if part of your job is to translate, then waht could you have done.

Perhaps, you should explain that to your colleague in front of a cup of coffee and try to help him.

Wish you good luck.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
German to English
+ ...
Why is he in trouble? May 16, 2003

Provided that your translation was accurate, there\'s nothing you could have done. He must have gotten himself into trouble.

Marianela Melleda
Marianela Melleda  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
You shouldn't worry at all May 16, 2003

I agree with Martine, that you have done nothing wrong. You should not feel guilty for doing your job.

Maybe your colleague because of being in trouble, is trying to blame on someone else.

I also do suggest that you talk to him, giving him your support as a colleague, but he is the one who has to assume the responsibility for what he may have done either good or wrong.

Good luck

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
You only did your job May 16, 2003

You only did your job. If you had refused to do the translation, you would have failed to do what you are supposed to do.

So, if you did the translation correctly to the best of your knowledge, don\'t feel bad.

Support your colleague as much as you can (without getting youself in hot water) and forget about it.

Good luck!

Lucinda

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:19
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! May 20, 2003

Today is judgement day so just wanted to thank everyone who gave me words of support - I do realise that I\'m only doing my job - but that doesn\'t make things any easier!!! Thanks to everyone!

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question of Ethics - translated a colleague\'s correspondence and got him in trouble

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »