Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Did you watch the opening ceremony?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
I will be watching the Olympic Games Aug 9, 2008

I didn't see the opening ceremony but I will be watching a fair bit of the Olympic Games....I like sport and I like to see people participating in it.

I am sure they're will be protest from all quarters, but hey, that won't stop me enjoying the sports and the people participating in them.

Liz Askew

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Spectacular Aug 9, 2008

Yes, I watched the opening ceremony and enjoyed it very much, as I always do. The memory of the man floating through the air shall always remain, as indeed did Misha the bear and the torch being lit with an arrow, in Olympics past.

However, I am really looking forward to the sports, especially the gymnastics and of course the football. My wife shares my enthusiasm for the gymnastics (where for the first time Brazil has a reasonable chance of a medal, especially with Diego Hypólito
... See more
Yes, I watched the opening ceremony and enjoyed it very much, as I always do. The memory of the man floating through the air shall always remain, as indeed did Misha the bear and the torch being lit with an arrow, in Olympics past.

However, I am really looking forward to the sports, especially the gymnastics and of course the football. My wife shares my enthusiasm for the gymnastics (where for the first time Brazil has a reasonable chance of a medal, especially with Diego Hypólito in the men's floor event) and also the men's volleyball. We don't care for the fighting sports, such as boxing and judo - too violent.
Collapse

Kasia Altman (X)
Kasia Altman (X)

Watched the Olympics as well! Aug 10, 2008

It was definitely quite beautiful, though due to NBC not broadcasting it live, we had to watch it on Korean TV, with Korean commentary, and I may be the only person in Seoul cheering for Poland (and the US of course). I'll definitely be watching the gymnastics and some of the other events but I do prefer the winter games, I'm more of a winter/cold weather/ want to go to Svalbard kind of person.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 20:19
English to Spanish
Amazing! Aug 10, 2008

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I and my wife watched the ceremony. It was spectacular. Recently (in May) we had been in Beijing and Shanghai on a family trip. So there was a bit of nostalgia and personal touch to it. We had a nice time in China.
Of course the ads that kept popping in and out spoilt the fun. I wish there was TV without ads!

Yes! I also think it was spectacular, most inspiring and amazing, and the mature gymnast up there running parallel to his shadow while he held the torch aloft, making perfectly executed running motions over a scroll screen unfurled to show the torch's trip around the world, was a terrific idea! Great! I remained asking myself how he was going to light the torch... And, wow! Wasn't that great?

From time to time, it's good to feel a bit of wonder, and a TV without ads like the Mexican TV this time! Splendid!

Loved it. And today, while I watched the Chinese athletes winning the first competitions, I admire the Chinese people more and more. I love winners, and wish the best future for China and its people not only while the Olympic Games, but always. They deserve it!

jimmate_11
jimmate_11  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:19
English to Russian
I didn't but I will. Aug 10, 2008

Unfortunately, I didn't. I was working on some event, but I have "links in Russian language" and plan to download the ceremony in English language as well and watch them with my Pork Pie and Coca~Cola.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
English to Italian
Fabulous Aug 10, 2008

I watched the opening ceremony and I loved it. I liked everything of it and I was amazed at HOW they could do that thing with the "human cubes" going up and down, forming ideograms, waves, ripples etc... I thought those cubes were moved by some sort of computer and when I found out that actually each individual cube hid a person my jaw dropped (especially if you think of the endless hours spent by these people in rehearsing and coordinating every single move for months on end. Simply amazing). I... See more
I watched the opening ceremony and I loved it. I liked everything of it and I was amazed at HOW they could do that thing with the "human cubes" going up and down, forming ideograms, waves, ripples etc... I thought those cubes were moved by some sort of computer and when I found out that actually each individual cube hid a person my jaw dropped (especially if you think of the endless hours spent by these people in rehearsing and coordinating every single move for months on end. Simply amazing). I also loved the LED scroll at the center of the stadium, showing the fluctuating i mages, and the wonderful cinese ladies in those colorful costumes. And yes, the torch guy was incredible, never missed a pace!Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:19
English to Turkish
+ ...
Please stay within the topic Aug 10, 2008

Dear all,

As you know the Proz.com site scope doesn't allow political discussions in our forums. Therefore, I had to remove several postings, and some others quoting them, and would like to invite everyone to stay within the topic and refrain from out-of-scope discussions and comments.

Also, thanks to the posters who have put the discussion back on track.

Kind re
... See more
Dear all,

As you know the Proz.com site scope doesn't allow political discussions in our forums. Therefore, I had to remove several postings, and some others quoting them, and would like to invite everyone to stay within the topic and refrain from out-of-scope discussions and comments.

Also, thanks to the posters who have put the discussion back on track.

Kind regards,
Özden
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 14:19
Chinese to English
Behind the 29th Olympic Opening Ceremony Aug 11, 2008

I watched it but I missed the apseras at the beginning. The Qin Warrior shadow puppets didn't make the final cut.

Behind the 29th Olympic Opening Ceremony
http://www.china.org.cn/olympics/news/2008-08/10/content_16182023.htm

I have translations on the history of Chinese science and technology, and of art and literature, and the Chinese
... See more
I watched it but I missed the apseras at the beginning. The Qin Warrior shadow puppets didn't make the final cut.

Behind the 29th Olympic Opening Ceremony
http://www.china.org.cn/olympics/news/2008-08/10/content_16182023.htm

I have translations on the history of Chinese science and technology, and of art and literature, and the Chinese Tang Dynasty capital, Chang'An if anyone is interested.

[Edited at 2008-08-11 08:17]
Collapse

kjmcguire
kjmcguire
Netherlands
Local time: 04:19
Chinese to English
Breathtaking Aug 11, 2008

I knew that the Chinese people would be able to pull off a fantastic show but I never expected it to be this good. Such beautiful costumes and perfectly choreographed sequences. It's a shame that so much was cut out of the re-run but thankfully I managed to see the full live broadcast earlier that day.

It's a shame that politics has overshadowed the Games and the hard work of those who spent months training and of those who worked behind the scenes to make the show a huge success.
... See more
I knew that the Chinese people would be able to pull off a fantastic show but I never expected it to be this good. Such beautiful costumes and perfectly choreographed sequences. It's a shame that so much was cut out of the re-run but thankfully I managed to see the full live broadcast earlier that day.

It's a shame that politics has overshadowed the Games and the hard work of those who spent months training and of those who worked behind the scenes to make the show a huge success.

[Edited at 2008-08-11 14:24]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did you watch the opening ceremony?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »