Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Did you watch the opening ceremony?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 00:47
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 8, 2008

Well, the Olympic games just started and I can't wait to listen to your opinions about the opening ceremony!

I think that it was a spectacular show, and OMG what a stadium! Many original ideas, a wonderful mosaic of colours and pictures! And all nations together!

(Of course, I can't help expressing my sadness and rage about the new war in Georgia - it makes the whole idea of the Olympic games sound so false and vain...)

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, I saw... Aug 8, 2008

...parts of it, and what I saw was pretty spectacular, that's for sure. I'll see the highlights on the news anyway.

But that's as far as my interest in the Olympic Games will take me, whichever country they're staged in.

Not a patch on the 4th Test at The Oval!

[For those that don't know, that's the cricket match between England and South Africa.]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Parts.. Aug 8, 2008

Parts of it. They use to be so long....

I agree, it has been one of the most spectacular opening ceremonies on the matter.

Certainly, World soccer Cups, Olympics and prime-time media events are the best pretexts to carry on several sad military operations everywhere.

Yana Bukharova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, I saw it partially Aug 8, 2008

I like to watch Olympics Games usually and I'll try to watch these games. I think it is very very great to be a host country, but I wonder why exactly Beijing has been chosen, I mean there are many other beautiful cities in China, but Beijing's air is very very polluted and OMG - this smog! I think some translations will be difficult to watch. But nevertheless, Olympic Games are always long-expected miracle!!! Let's enjoy it!!!

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
True Aug 8, 2008

Yana Bukharova wrote:

I like to watch Olympics Games usually and I'll try to watch these games. I think it is very very great to be a host country, but I wonder why exactly Beijing has been chosen, I mean there are many other beautiful cities in China, but Beijing's air is very very polluted and OMG - this smog! I think some translations will be difficult to watch. But nevertheless, Olympic Games are always long-expected miracle!!! Let's enjoy it!!!

True. Maybe Shanghai has less pollution. As a major city, it has no problems to satisfy the Olympics transport requirements.

Go Cuba!

[Edited at 2008-08-08 21:28]

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 04:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
No! Aug 8, 2008

I didn't watch the opening ceremony. I am fed up with watching opening and closing ceremonies. But certainly I will watch some of the sports events (e.g. football, tennis, gymnastics, etc.). Looking forward to yet another showdown between Fed-ex and Rafa!!!

Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certainly! Aug 8, 2008

Sundar Gopalakrishnan wrote:

Looking forward to yet another showdown between Fed-ex and Rafa!!!

Me too!

Hope the match will live up to our expectations!

I also look forward to watching frantic table tennis East Asia derbies!

velle
France
Local time: 23:47
French to Italian
+ ...
Definetly Aug 8, 2008

it was really spectacular:):):)
I hope Italy will win a lot of medals!!!!! But... good luck to every one and Enjoy the Olimpic Games:):)
bye
Vale

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Partially Aug 9, 2008

I watched some parts of it and Ive to say what I saw was really spectacular (especially I liked those fireworks "feet" walking to the stadium) and I guess I will be one of those watching some events. Even though Im well aware of the terrible political situation I prefer not to mix sports with politics.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:17
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Yes I did Aug 9, 2008

I and my wife watched the ceremony. It was spectacular. Recently (in May) we had been in Beijing and Shanghai on a family trip. So there was a bit of nostalgia and personal touch to it. We had a nice time in China.

Of course the ads that kept popping in and out spoilt the fun. I wish there was TV without ads!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did you watch the opening ceremony?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search