Off topic: Adult Education Centres
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2008

Suppose you want to learn how to built a pc yourself, learn something about Windows/Linux, become a proficient office user, learn how to use photoshop or webdesign with flash, you can go to adult education training centres where evening classes are given.
I have never looked into the details of these centres in Britain, France and Germany. I guess that in Germany these classes are given at the IHK or Volkshogeschule, but what about Britain, Switzerland and France. References to website with regard to adult education would be welcome.


Cristina Cajoto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Britain: Colleges and Community Learning Services Aug 14, 2008

As far as I know, in Britain you can find evening classes for adults at Colleges or Community Learning Services run by Councils. Check these websites for a couple of places where I worked which offer this type of education:




Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:25
French to English
France: contact your OPCA Aug 14, 2008

In France, I think adults would start by checking with their OPCA to find out what kind of training is available, and to get a list of the "centres de formation professionnels". Here's an interesting link:


Rosie Blagg  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
Spanish to English
Many UK universities have adult education centres... Aug 14, 2008 search for your local university, plus "adult education", "lifelong learning" or "continuing education".

Good luck!


juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:25
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Also... Aug 17, 2008

the Open University in the UK


Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
Flemish to English
+ ...
More expensive Aug 17, 2008

I have the impression that the cost of some trainings are more expensive in the UK than elsewhere in Europe. £395 for a course about networks, whereas for that money i can get 8 courses in other countries: theory about computers, website building/programming, databases, Vba and 120 hours of at a price of £180


madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
Swedish to English
+ ...
Floodlight Aug 17, 2008

For London, you might want to try:

There are sometimes discounts if you're on any kind of benefits, but studying in the UK is generally not cheap.

[Edited at 2008-08-18 06:49]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adult Education Centres

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search