Thread poster: Allesklar

Allesklar  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:02
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2008

Hi!

I just made a loan to someone in the developing world using a revolutionary new website called Kiva (www.kiva.org).

You can go to Kiva's website and lend to someone in the developing world who needs a loan for their business - like raising goats, selling vegetables at market or making bricks. Each loan has a picture of the entrepreneur, a description of their business and how they plan to use the loan so you know exactly how your money is being spent - and you get updates letting you know how the entrepreneur is going.

The best part is, when the entrepreneur pays back their loan you get your money back - and Kiva's loans are managed by microfinance institutions on the ground who have a lot of experience doing this, so you can trust that your money is being handled responsibly.

I just made a loan to an entrepreneur named Marlene Huacausi AÑanca in Peru. They still need another $500.00 to complete their loan request of $1,600.00 (you can loan as little as $25.00!). Help me get this entrepreneur off the ground by clicking on the link below to make a loan to Marlene Huacausi AÑanca too:

http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=60028

It's finally easy to actually do something about poverty - using Kiva I know exactly who my money is loaned to and what they're using it for. And most of all, I know that I'm helping them build a sustainable business that will provide income to feed, clothe, house and educate their family long after my loan is paid back.

Join me in changing the world - one loan at a time.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------
What others are saying about www.Kiva.org:

'Revolutionising how donors and lenders in the US are connecting with small entrepreneurs in developing countries.'
-- BBC

'If you've got 25 bucks, a PC and a PayPal account, you've now got the wherewithal to be an international financier.'
-- CNN Money

'Smaller investors can make loans of as little as $25 to specific individual entrepreneurs through a service launched last fall by Kiva.org.'
-- The Wall Street Journal

'An inexpensive feel-good investment opportunity...All loaned funds go directly to the applicants, and most loans are repaid in full.'
-- Entrepreneur Magazine

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:32
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes! Aug 23, 2008

Good idea - as many translators have Paypal accounts anyway, it is so easy.
Thank you for the link.

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
good idea Aug 23, 2008

Hope it works...
I made a small loan also. Hopefully it will help someone.

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thx! Aug 25, 2008

Thx for letting us know... I've made my tiny contribution, hope it works for themicon_smile.gif

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
First repayment received Oct 13, 2008

Just wanted to let you know, that today I have received the first repayment on the small loan I madeicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you heard of Kiva?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search