Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Are you obsessed with technology?
Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia
Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:32
English to Italian
+ ...
The weirdest thing Sep 13, 2008

Reading your posts, I've just realized that I'd feel lost without a TV - and yet, I almost never watch it! I kid you not: I might watch a couple of shows or movies in a month, but rarely more than that. Isn't that weird? Part of the problem of course is not having enough time to spare for such a mindless activity

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hm, quantity or quality? Sep 13, 2008

Another great thread, Francesca!

Here's the thing:

- When I moved in with my husband, the first thing I did was to throw out the microwave. Also the food processor.
- No cell phones. There is one sitting on the shelf - a gift from a friend. It never got activated. I dust it occasionally.
- No iPods or video games. I wouldn't know how to handle those thingies and would have to borrow the 12-o
... See more
Another great thread, Francesca!

Here's the thing:

- When I moved in with my husband, the first thing I did was to throw out the microwave. Also the food processor.
- No cell phones. There is one sitting on the shelf - a gift from a friend. It never got activated. I dust it occasionally.
- No iPods or video games. I wouldn't know how to handle those thingies and would have to borrow the 12-old neighbour boy to get those gizmos to work.

However:
- I set up a wireless network (on cable, fast and reliable) all over the house. I don't like cords.
- Wireless printers
- Color-fax machine with its own phone number / color printer
- High-end scanner

I am a dino.

Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why the food processor? Sep 13, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The microwave, I can understand: I use it, but mostly only to defrost ingredients I had frozen myself (chopped onions, celery and carrots for sauces, and similar).

But why the food processor? I find it quite useful when cooking.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Addictions Sep 13, 2008

francesca battaglia wrote:

I am convinced that tv is noxious for our bodies and it's totally addictive.

The Web is also very addictive. I rationalize all my web surfing by saying that this way I get to learn more things and be more informed, but in truth I wouldn't know how to stop doing it, now.

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
urgh...and I forgot! Sep 13, 2008

I can't believe I still have more things to add in the list...

one of those Oregon Scientific alarm clocks that project the time on the ceiling (that was one of my few but BIG technological crushes!) it's just wonderful because when you're in bed and for some reason you want to know the time, you don't even have to change position, enough to half-open one eye and there you go...

a photo-printer (but that was a real deal! 18Euros instead of 145...)

a webcam-
... See more
I can't believe I still have more things to add in the list...

one of those Oregon Scientific alarm clocks that project the time on the ceiling (that was one of my few but BIG technological crushes!) it's just wonderful because when you're in bed and for some reason you want to know the time, you don't even have to change position, enough to half-open one eye and there you go...

a photo-printer (but that was a real deal! 18Euros instead of 145...)

a webcam---in the shape of a foot....yep....a foot!

a foot massager

and, besides the microwave (of course...) and other kitchen appliances..i recently bought the "magic bullet", charmed by a continuous and continuous commercial on the tv shopping channel..
this is a food processor that is supposed to do everything (and anything) in max 3 clicks..I've tried it a couple of times for basic things and I have to say that it really works.

[Edited at 2008-09-13 17:16]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
no TV here ... Sep 13, 2008

francesca battaglia wrote:

Please excuse my question but..how can you survive without a tv? I think I am the most tv-addicted person on earth, like..I basically schedule my working and non working days on the base of my favourite shows (which, sad to say..are basically very superficial programs....I'm a hannah montana fan, please don't judge).

I'm both shocked, amazed and somewhat admired!

Francesca,

I've lived without a TV connection for 27 months, and I rarely feel deprived! I have something called Netflix, a movie rental service that mails me CDs with movies and back episodes of certain favorite series. Sometimes I miss our Public Broadcasting nightly news program (The News Hour with Jim Lehrer), but only sometimes. I spend probably no more than 2 hours a week watching, and I think life is better that way I'd much rather be outside!

But, to get to the core of your question, I'm not obsessed -- I am having trouble keeping up with all the new developments!!

Worse yet, I'd go broke if I bought all the things that you have! I'm so envious! All I have are a computer, cell phone, bluetooth, and a pathetic digital camera. In the next year, I want to upgrade to a better camera, get a HDTV screen to use for work and watching movies, and get an MP3 player... but I'm sure I'll still look archaic to you!

Anyway, do post your list of goodies from time to time so that I'll know what I'm missing out on! Who knows, you might inspire me to buy something!

Best,
Patricia

PS In the KITCHEN department, I did buy an glass-top range, and I do love it--saves hours of work each month since the cleanup is so easy.

[Edited at 2008-09-13 18:09]

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Envious? Sep 13, 2008

Patricia, I am the one jealous of you! Believe me when I tell you that all of those IT things in my list are the contibution of my partner to the house...
When i said, "he works in a big IT store and that's my plague", that's exactly the truth!

Besides a few things, I would pack most of these things up and send them to you, for free..Of course I do use the computer-related appliances but I don't love to buy new pieces and I'm really not following the new products.

... See more
Patricia, I am the one jealous of you! Believe me when I tell you that all of those IT things in my list are the contibution of my partner to the house...
When i said, "he works in a big IT store and that's my plague", that's exactly the truth!

Besides a few things, I would pack most of these things up and send them to you, for free..Of course I do use the computer-related appliances but I don't love to buy new pieces and I'm really not following the new products.

I don't even know how could we afford the purchase of such equipment! And before this list, believe me, I never really realized how many IT stuff we had..

There was a commercial when I was a child, of a family who was living in the veggie aisle of a supermarket and their whole life basically developed around there. The kids were collected with a trolley to go to school in the "stationery" aisle, mom cooked in the bakery area..
Well, sometimes I feel like living in a Multimedia Store, ahah, and I remember that commercial and laugh...
Collapse

Cagdas Karatas
Cagdas Karatas  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:32
English to Turkish
Yes, it seems so Sep 13, 2008

I'm actually not so happy to face it, but my extravagant technology shopping performance indicates that I'm somewhat obsessed with technology, or let's just say with computer stuff. In the last one year, I bought a laptop although my PC is in quite good condition and I don't really like working with laptops (17", so it's hard to call it a mobile tool!). On the bright side, my wife has a toy with wireless connection to kill time now. However, I still believe that was not quite necessary.
... See more
I'm actually not so happy to face it, but my extravagant technology shopping performance indicates that I'm somewhat obsessed with technology, or let's just say with computer stuff. In the last one year, I bought a laptop although my PC is in quite good condition and I don't really like working with laptops (17", so it's hard to call it a mobile tool!). On the bright side, my wife has a toy with wireless connection to kill time now. However, I still believe that was not quite necessary.

Then, I bought a Philips make mobile phone although I had an old working Nokia. My reason was that Xenium series would provide me with the longest battery life. Now, I have the longest battery life and I don't know what to do with it The old Nokia fellow is lying on the shelf cursing at me because of our breakup.

My chief obsession is related with keyboards and mice. I have three working mice and three keyboards packed unused somewhere at home. The new dude is called Logitech LX5 Cordless. I have to admit the keyboard gives me the feeling as if I had not touched a real typing tool before purchasing this one. I'm very much pleased with it, but the striking question is, "Why did I bury the others alive?"

Of course, that's not all about shopping. I have other technology anecdotes to tell.

I offered bribe to my nephew and exchanged my CRT monitor with his LCD. But why? Nothing was wrong with my own monitor. I felt an irresistable urge to have, just have the LCD. He has to make higher scores at school this year and I took advantage of the situation.

Nowadays, I'm planning to buy an external harddisk although my finances aren't so healthy at present. I don't know how much longer I will be able to stand without. In addition, I need to buy a new set of speakers, 5+1 or something like that. Do I really need? Maybe what I actually need is a slap on the face.

One last thing, I'm well aware that technology is a very broad concept and it is certainly not limited to what I mentioned above. I am also very much fond of surfing the web viewing new technologies, buying computer magazines, and struggling to prevent myself from salivating.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
@Riccardo Sep 14, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The microwave, I can understand: I use it, but mostly only to defrost ingredients I had frozen myself (chopped onions, celery and carrots for sauces, and similar).

But why the food processor? I find it quite useful when cooking.

Chopping vegetables is my favorite part of cooking - no noisy machines allowed!

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
spares Sep 14, 2008

Çağdaş Karataş wrote:

I have three working mice and three keyboards packed unused somewhere at home.

I would say that's a very good idea You never know when you might spill coffee on your keyboard and need a replacement in a hurry. According to Murphy's law, these accidents always happen over the weekend when shops are closed and you can't rush out to buy a new keyboard, so it's better to have a spare around.

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:32
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
No TV here either Sep 14, 2008

... and life is beautiful! My children don't miss it AT ALL. Once I was wondering if we should get one, and my elder daughter said, 'Mum, do you REALLY need it?' Instead, they read loads of books and are engaged in various after-school activities.

Regards,
Diana

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you obsessed with technology?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »