Off topic: Where are you, Fred Thompson ?
Thread poster: swisstell

swisstell
Italy
Local time: 11:32
German to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2003

A few colleagues and I have noticed your lengthy absence in Kudoz Questions and Answers participation. Not only do I miss your always welcome advice but I am worried that your silence might be the cause of a health or similar problem (it happens at your age and mine ...). Please tell me that I am wrong and that you are just taking a sabbatical. And forgive me for putting this "search" into the forum. I cannot find you in the top 100 any longer (a result of your recent non-participation) and thus am unable to address you directly by email. Keep well!

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:32
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I think I found him Jun 7, 2003

Hi e-rich

I don't know him, but I think I found him, using the search option and then trying Thomson as with the P it didn't work.
Good luck

http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_s=23909

swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your prompt help, Claudia! Jun 7, 2003

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Hi e-rich

I don't know him, but I think I found him, using the search option and then trying Thomson as with the P it didn't work.
Good luck

http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_s=23909[/quote]

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:32
German to English
I miss him too Jun 7, 2003

Yes, ol' Fred was good to have around and I miss him too. But here's something that might provide a clue as to his well-being. In the May issue of The ATA Chronicle there's a section entitled The Translation Inquirer. It deals with translation questions that people have submitted.

Here's what it says under G-E:
("Jetzt-erst-recht-Stimmung"): Dr. Fred Thomson has always translated this as 'vindictive mood.' One gets into a vindictive mood whenever another has somehow wronged one or hurt one's feelings. 'Vengeful mood' is probably another good possibility. The problem, he admits, is that these two suggestions lack the down-to-earth flavor contained in the German expression.

So maybe he's doing fine and will come back and visit us soon.
Kim

swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - I've sent him an email after tracing his address with Claudia's help. Jun 7, 2003

Kim Metzger wrote:

Yes, ol' Fred was good to have around and I miss him too. But here's something that might provide a clue as to his well-being. In the May issue of The ATA Chronicle there's a section entitled The Translation Inquirer. It deals with translation questions that people have submitted.

Here's what it says under G-E:
("Jetzt-erst-recht-Stimmung"): Dr. Fred Thomson has always translated this as 'vindictive mood.' One gets into a vindictive mood whenever another has somehow wronged one or hurt one's feelings. 'Vengeful mood' is probably another good possibility. The problem, he admits, is that these two suggestions lack the down-to-earth flavor contained in the German expression.

So maybe he's doing fine and will come back and visit us soon.
Kim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are you, Fred Thompson ?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search