Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Hand luggage or heavy cases, when travelling?
Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 07:39
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2008

What's your travelling style? Are you one of those choosing a very basic trolley or you try, but always end up packing up the whole closet?

Personally, I am in the first group. I think packing up is one of the most tedious things and I know I will always buy a lot of stuff both at the airport (mostly food and water) and in my destination which means my hands will be full of bags and I won't have any more free space to fit a big and heavy case. Plus, I won't remember what I brought and I will forget half of the things in the case in the hotel room..

Lighter (and SMALLER) luggage is my priority!

And no queues!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
It depends Oct 10, 2008

Where I'm going, when I'm going (summer or winter?), for which purpose...
Generally, I prefer to have a light suitcase to bring back things from abroad.
When I moved to the UK for my master degree, among the others, I'd a printer and bottles of Tuscan olive oil.
My luggage weighted 35 kilos, instead of the 20 then allowed, and when the guy asked me: do you know how many kilos you have in excess? I replied promptly: It's not nice to ask such a question to a woman! I didn't pay

Cheers,
Paola

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good one! Oct 10, 2008

hahahahahaha it's a great one!!!

Paola Dentifrigi wrote:

My luggage weighted 35 kilos, instead of the 20 then allowed, and when the guy asked me: do you know how many kilos you have in excess? I replied promptly: It's not nice to ask such a question to a woman! I didn't pay

Cheers,
Paola

I might use it sometime... I would love to travel light, but I definitely cannot do it. Don't know how... I end up taking a pair of shoes (some might be boots) for each outfit, of course more outfits than I really need (just in case) and then coats and a huge toilet kit, and so on.

I did travel light once... it was awesome, but I haven't been able to do it again... crazy! At least now, if my husband is with me, he carries the heavy ones and I just have to take care of the hand luggage. Before I always ended up having some stranger help me.

[Edited at 2008-10-10 08:05]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A what-if person Oct 10, 2008

I'm affraid I am a rather what-if person, i.e. if I think I will need 3 pairs of socks, I always put another one just in case.

Last August I did a certification exam in the US and brought about 35 kg of dictionaries with me, apart from my luggage with an extra pair of everything of course.

I finally only used about 10 kg of dictionaries and regretted carrying the other 25 kg. But at home I thought: "What if the test is about the Norwegian leather industry?". Yes, sometimes I am quite an Adrian Mole...

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:39
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
As basic as possible Oct 10, 2008

Since that one time when I had to drag a huge 20kg suitcase up the mountain Im travelling as light as I possibly can.:) I still remember the look of the man who showed me the way and felt so sorry for me when noticing my suitcase... Now the bag gets heavy only on my way back.:D

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
I pack in 5 minutes and that is it Oct 10, 2008

As light as possible. I can always wash or buy new.

irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
a unique solution! Oct 10, 2008

I've come up with a unique solution, which I decided to share (in true translation style...) in several languages on my blog I made the entry just this week; why not take EVERYTHING you need in your hand luggage I travel a lot (6 years straight so far...) so I've learned how it can be done. It means I don't have to wait around at airports (either before or after the flight) and nowadays you save money because of the extra charges for checked-in luggage. Check out my *two minute video* to see how I do it:
English: http://www.irishpolyglot.com/travel/how-to-take-as-much-as-you-like-in-your-hand-luggage/en/
French: http://www.irishpolyglot.com/travel/comment-tout-mettre-dans-votre-bagage-a-main-a-laeroport/fr/
Spanish: http://www.irishpolyglot.com/travel/como-llevar-todo-lo-que-quieras-como-equipaje-de-mano-en-el-aeropuerto/es/

(After the weekend I'll be uploading the same video in the other languages on my blog! Enjoy!! If you find it useful, you can subscribe to the newsletter/RSS to see future travel tips)

[Edited at 2008-10-10 11:23]

[Edited at 2008-10-10 11:50]

Percy Balemans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Security Oct 10, 2008

irishpolyglot wrote:

why not take EVERYTHING you need in your hand luggage

Out of curiosity: how much time do you spend at security emptying your pockets?

irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
it's all part of the fun!! :P Oct 10, 2008

Enough time to make several enemies from those in the queue behind me Seriously though, it only takes a few seconds. Dump your whole jacket and quickly empty your pockets (with big items, normally it only takes a moment, if you have say a book in each pocket etc.) So now it takes me the same time as it does everyone else. But, just so I don't have to put it all back again I slap out a bag (plastic etc.) and put extra items in it once in the terminal since you only need to use all your pockets until you are through security.

It's a very silly rule but "just one piece of hand luggage" can be taken advantage of like this. Then you magically produce another piece and it's as good as having shopped at the duty free as far as airplane staff are concerned.

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oooh, I'm a big fan, too... Oct 10, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I finally only used about 10 kg of dictionaries and regretted carrying the other 25 kg. But at home I thought: "What if the test is about the Norwegian leather industry?". Yes, sometimes I am quite an Adrian Mole...

I'm a HUGE Adrian Mole fan. Love the books, and also the TV show. I finally found DVDs of it on raretelevision.com and I'm thrilled! Ian Dury's theme song is the best.

Oh, and I'm a light packer when I'm not actually moving from one continent to another.

Amy

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hand luggage Oct 10, 2008

These days I normally fly to London on a Friday afternoon and I am back in Faro (Portugal) by the Sunday night.

Just time to see a show or play, visit my favourite haunts, maybe splash out on something I can't get here, and then back again to Gatwick/Luton after lunch on the Sunday. I treat myself every 6 weeks. Quality time to myself.

To keep down the costs, and not have to wait in queues, I throw everything I need into my big hold-all and I'm out of here.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:39
English to French
+ ...
Wheels and backpacks Oct 10, 2008

I have this really neat piece of hard luggage on wheels - so much better for my back than good old luggage to be lifted and dragged through the airport! I add a backpack to that. So, I always have a hand that is free and I lift less weight than I would with classic luggage.

I hate packing for travel. It is really tedious. I am not afraid of forgetting something because I am pretty good at making mental inventories. But I alwsys want to take with me at least double the stuff I will actually need. So, I pack with this thought in mind, and I keep catching myself doubting that thought. I am afraid I want to do such a good job at packing only the stuff I need that I will outrule things I will eventually need. So, I keep shifting back and forth between two extremes. It drives me up the wall!

I am still unable to pack only the things I need. Unpacking after getting back home is an interesting exercise. Now, as I unpack, I put aside each item I never used on my travels, and that little pile is always bigger than I would want it to be. But it helps to learn what I definitely will not pack next time I travel.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I am afraid that will not work if you travel to Canada between October and April Oct 10, 2008

irishpolyglot wrote:

I've come up with a unique solution, which I decided to share (in true translation style...) in several languages on my blog I made the entry just this week; why not take EVERYTHING you need in your hand luggage

The winter coat alone makes up an entire suitcase. Add a pair of boots and you'll need every cubic millimeter in your hand luggage.

irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
very easy solution to that... Oct 10, 2008

The obvious solution to that is to WEAR your winter coat and boots. Even if it's hot in the airport you can wear them for the few minutes you are going through security and change when in the terminal. I always wear my heaviest clothes at the airport, that's the point

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
One time, at the airport, they asked me if I had a corpse in my luggage.. Oct 10, 2008

and that, pretty much, says it all..

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hand luggage or heavy cases, when travelling?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search